TB Etiquette

Arktoi

I haven't found any TBs in the wild yet, but I did see one pop up in a cache after I found it, and it got me thinking. Is it bad etiquette to go back to a cache you've already found to trade TBs? I am aware of the general rules for TBs - don't hold them for long periods/keep them moving/only take them if you can further their goal if there is one/etc. And the one that I specifically mentioned before has since left that cache again anyway, so I won't be picking that one up - I'm just asking for future reference. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Arktoi

I haven't found any TBs in the wild yet, but I did see one pop up in a cache after I found it, and it got me thinking. Is it bad etiquette to go back to a cache you've already found to trade TBs? I am aware of the general rules for TBs - don't hold them for long periods/keep them moving/only take them if you can further their goal if there is one/etc. And the one that I specifically mentioned before has since left that cache again anyway, so I won't be picking that one up - I'm just asking for future reference. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

No, it is not bad etiquette to return to a cache that you have already found to pick up a TB that you can help along its travels; just be sure to log it promptly and move it as soon as you can. And you do not have to trade it, despite any "rule" that some CO's might state for their so-called "TB Hotel" caches. Only caution: if you make a practice of running out to pick up TBs whenever they appear in a local cache, you might become unpopular with other local cachers--unless you place them in another local cache.

It's okay to do that, if you feel you can move it on.

If you see a trackable in a cache, and decide not to take it, you can post a "discover" log. That lets the trackable owner know that is still in play, and lets other cachers know that the trackable is still in that cache.

When returning to a cache that have already logged as "found", for whatever reason, you would log your visit as a "write note" log, instead of another "found it".

B.

Here's another way to look at it. I'm sure there are caches near you that have been in place for some time. Most of the other local cachers have already found those. So if a TB gets placed in one of those, should it sit until another new cacher, or visitor to the area, comes along? That TB could sit for some time. Travel bugs, and geocoins, are sent out with the intention of traveling. I don't go around and grab every TB nearby. However, if I am going to take a trip, I try to get a few to take along.

If your interest is in logging TBs perhaps for reaching numbers for a challenge or similar reason then you can easily revisit a cache take a note of the TBs number and then log it on the website as discovered. That way you don't need to add any new log to the cache itself. It also means the TB is available to the next cacher too.

Picking up a TB just because you can isn't a great idea especially if you aren't able to move it on soon or help it fulfil its goal.