Backpacking in NJ/NY this summer - where to go

The Artful Dodger

Hi all

THis upcoming Spring/Summer I intend to do a lot of weekend/long-weekend backpacking and hiking(and geocaching, of course icon_wink.gif ) . Since I am relatively new to the NorthEast NJ area, does anyone have some good recommedations of some good trails?

I have purchased some maps of the Delaware Water Gap area and the Catskills. Do you have a favorite? A geocacher I met on the trails highly recommended the Catskills.

Perhaps a few geocachers could be enticed to make a good weekend of it outdoors.... icon_razz.gif

Thanks

AD

p.s. I have my second Grand Canyon backpacking trip all booked - can't wait for that one!

9929_700.jpg

Since you have seen most of the trails around where we live you might want to check out the Catskills. Mt. Tremper is a great hike. There is a smoke tower ot the top that lets you see for miles.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Hey Dodger, it's BrianSnat. I may have been the Geocacher who recommended the Catskills to you, as they are a favorite of mine. There are some excellent overnight trips (the Indian Head Mtn loop comes immediatley to mind)and an number of fantastic multi-day trips. I'm itching to get out there myself as soon as ski season winds down. I know the Catskills quite well and would be happy to join you and any other Geocachers on an overnighter. If you havn't been there, you will be quite surprised at how beautiful the area is

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Hey Dodger, it's BrianSnat. I may have been the Geocacher who recommended the Catskills to you, as they are a favorite of mine. I know the Catskills quite well and would be happy to join you and any other Geocachers on an overnighter.

Hey BrianSnat!

Yep, it was you who reminded me about the Catskills. I might just take you up on that overnight offer - the more the merrier. Let's talk more as Spring approaches... icon_razz.gif

Any other geocachers out there interested in a weekend backpacking trip sometime in Spring/Summer?

9929_1400.gif

In Upstate New York, south of Rochester check out the East side of the Gorge at Letchworth State Park. A portion on the Finger Lakes Trail follows this Grand Canyon of the East. Also several Caches in the area including one of mine, Hogs Back Vistas

Hey! I've been to Hogs Back Vist and must say that it is ab. fab.........you just have to do it!! Many caches and great trails in letchworth the terrain is nice and varied as well from a 1 1/2 all the way to a 4...we've done most and you can't beat the scenery...perhaps fall is the most spectacular because of the leaves but it really is beautiful all the time....

That being said......We finished the Lord of the Rings multicache in Erie PA. Took the family just over 4 hours to complete it. Beautiful park. Many trails. Excellant area for services close by as well........you would need tick spray..and to check the cache page for needed details but I would also recommend that one to everyone!

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

I go here every summer, it is great! The trails are amazing here, from easy to impossible. There are mountain biking trails, a great place for fishing and boating, I believe its in a little town not to far away, 20 mins by car, Tannersville. Now to get to Hunter Mountain, the adress is as:

Rt.23A, Hunter, NY. NYS Thruway, Exit 20 and 21.

huntermtn.com. I got this stuff from a card I have, also there is a telephone number, donno what for, but here it is, 518- 263-4223, I don't think the mountain has a phone # icon_smile.gif Happy Hiking and Geocaching!

Bldbabe..

That wouldn't be the Labrynth Trail going through the Lemon Squeeze would it? That's my favorite trail! I would love to hide a cache up there but it get's pretty pricey bringing a family in there to hike... not sure how many cachers would go for it. The views up there are spectacular though...and you can't beat the Mohonk House from above

mohonkhouse.jpg

I spent my honeymoon at Mohonk back in '95. I know it isn't exactly the "islands" or Cancun, but we decided it was the place for us. It is a beautiful place (and underappreciated by the NY/NJ metro crowd if you ask me) and there are some fantastic hikes and views there. Most of the property is a preserve and is open to the public, however the best trails are only available to guests. As I understand it, if you go there for brunch, you are considered a guest and can hike the trails around the house. Unfortuately, as far as this specific thread goes, backpacking is not allowed on the property.

Brian,

You can also pay for parking and hike the Mohonk house grounds... but like I said it gets pricey... last time I went was a couple of years ago and it was like $40 for a family of 4 to hike... with all the new great places I've been finding to hike I don't know that I'll lay out that kind of money for it anymore...but if you've never done it before it's definitely worthwhile! I've heard about the brunch thing too and think that would be the way I'd do it next time... at least get some food in the deal. This would be an awesome place for a wedding icon_smile.gif...I know a few people that have been married there but I've never been there for it. They also run some great theme weekends... gardening, ballroom dancing, golf..all kinds of different things.. that make great gifts for parents big anniversary's or something icon_smile.gif

Harriman is nice for backpacking. I've been going there for years for quick overnighters. Only problem, which I found out fairly recently, is that you're officially only allowed to stay in one of the shelters (and there are only 2 or 3).

Camping anyplace else is illegal. Now we make sure to find a spot where we won't be seen, which is hard because the park is laced with trails. But I know of several good ones.

Perhaps we should make a plan for a weekend backpacking/geocaching trip for anyone who is interested?

How does sometime in late May sound - or perhaps early June? I understand that there is a possible Northeast Geocaching gettogether sometime in May too so we will have to schedule around that - no problem.

So are we looking at Harriman or the Catskills as two potential places to start with?

I might start a new thread to discuss the impending trip if there is sufficient interest in this joint geocaching/backpacking weekend trip.

9929_1400.gif

I'm in, but I'd most likely have to wait until June. I'm coaching my daughter's travelling soccer team and we practice on Saturdays and play on Sundays. Also just joined an "over 35" soccer league myself and we play Saturday evenings. Had our first game last weekend and I could barely walk until yesterday! Stinks getting old!

I've been backpacking in this area for 20 years and know most areas quite well, so I could help plan an interesting trip, no matter where we decide to go.