Premium Membership

WilsonFamilyOK

My husband and I are in charge of our local cub scouts and are interested in caching with our them. There are a few basic caches we can get with the boys but I'm wondering if upgrading to premium would be worth it for our group as there seem to be many more premium caches in our area. Our funds are limited and even though it's only $30, that's still a lot to our small group. I saw a link to try the premium membership but it says you have to have a code, can anyone direct me where would I go to getting one of those? The weather is starting to get nice and the more we can get the boys out doing things the better and I think this would be the perfect opportunity for them! Thanks in advance for any advice!

A lot of caches are made Premium Member Only to stop youngsters/groups from seeking them.

Whilst your cubs/scouts may be trusted, they only need to tell/show someone else, who shows/tells someone else, and the cache is then compromised...

Yep. When I introduce kids that age to geocaching, I make a point of either having them search for temporary caches that I myself have hidden just for the class, or taking them on a geocaching hike some distance away from our local neighborhood.

Even if I trust all the kids I'm leading, I don't necessarily trust their friends, neighbors, and classmates who hear about "treasure boxes" hidden in the neighborhood.

My husband and I are in charge of our local cub scouts and are interested in caching with our them. There are a few basic caches we can get with the boys but I'm wondering if upgrading to premium would be worth it for our group as there seem to be many more premium caches in our area. Our funds are limited and even though it's only $30, that's still a lot to our small group. I saw a link to try the premium membership but it says you have to have a code, can anyone direct me where would I go to getting one of those? The weather is starting to get nice and the more we can get the boys out doing things the better and I think this would be the perfect opportunity for them! Thanks in advance for any advice!

We just paid for a premium membership today as a matter of fact. So glad we did. For less than what is basically dinner for 2 we had a much more fun day. We started out after lunch, found one...then every time clicked a cache..said it was unavailable. Came home straight away...paid..and off we went. The "intro" app works fine with the premium membership, and it opened up so many more caches to us. Wife and I had a great afternoon together.

I have been considering a "Premium" membership as well since at some point between August and last weekend the rules changed and suddenly Geocaching.com saw fit in their infinite wisdom to only have small and simple caches available for free. Kinda sucks and feels a little arbitrary but they want money just like me.

I have been considering a "Premium" membership as well since at some point between August and last weekend the rules changed and suddenly Geocaching.com saw fit in their infinite wisdom to only have small and simple caches available for free. Kinda sucks and feels a little arbitrary but they want money just like me.

Intro app has always been that way, you still get free access to all but omo caches from the website, paid apps and other non Groundspeak apps.

A lot of caches are made Premium Member Only to stop youngsters/groups from seeking them.

Whilst your cubs/scouts may be trusted, they only need to tell/show someone else, who shows/tells someone else, and the cache is then compromised...

Yep. When I introduce kids that age to geocaching, I make a point of either having them search for temporary caches that I myself have hidden just for the class, or taking them on a geocaching hike some distance away from our local neighborhood.

Even if I trust all the kids I'm leading, I don't necessarily trust their friends, neighbors, and classmates who hear about "treasure boxes" hidden in the neighborhood.

Agreed. Definitely take the kids caching away from their neighborhoods. Or you could even just hide your own temporary ones. It will be just as fun either way.

I stand (sit actually) informed.