Need help loading from geocaching.com to Garmin

ABL/CFL

When I try to load caches to my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, my device is not recognized and I get following error:

Unable to get property 'getElementsByTagName' of undefined or null reference

How do I fix this?

Thank you for your help.

Has it worked previously? What Operating System are you using (Windows, maybe? Which version)? When does the error occur? If it's a USB problem that happens when you plug it in, and especially if other devices also are not recognized, try a different USB port and cable.

Are you loading Pocket Queries? If it fails at a certain step, which step?

Are you using special software (such as GSAK or Garmin Communicator)? If so, try loading Pocket Queries directly.

Download the GPX file from Geocaching.com. (For a zipped Pocket Query, unzip the file, and you should now have at least one “GPX” file.)

Plug the Garmin into the USB port of the computer.

Find the Garmin as a [DRIVE] or [storage device] and open it;

Therein, locate a file folder named something like Garmin/GPX/;

Click, drag and drop (or copy) the downloaded GPX file(s) to that [DRIVE]:Garmin/GPX/ folder.

Right-click and select Eject, unplug the Garmin;

Go Geocaching.

(From Gitchee-Gumee's excellent instructions)

Edited by kunarion

kunarion: Thanks for your reply. I am somewhat challenged when it comes to these things, but here is what I know:

Windows 7.

It worked previously.

Using Garmin Communicator.

Pocket Queries may be beyond my ability.

So you're using "Send To"? Most recently, I found the latest version of Firefox to still be OK. If you switch to that, at least to use "Send To", it should work for now.

Pocket Queries are pretty easy. There's a nice step-by-step tutorial in the PQ page. Make a "1000 cache" PQ of your town (or a town you're visiting), load the whole thing at once, and you're done. Once you have it set up as you like, a PQ can be re-used whenever you want a current list.

Lots of people are having trouble with Garmin Communicator. I place GPX files onto my GPSr using the file manager (basic steps above), although I keep Communicator working as a personal challenge :anicute:. There are ways to get it working in most of the modern browsers, but it seems to be getting tougher to keep it functional. You may have to decide which is best, performing technical work that keeps Communicator working, or loading files manually.

I have been told that few operating systems can handle plug-ins nowadays. Is this true? I use the OS X Yosemite and have been trying to download caches onto my Dakota 20 for the past two weeks with no luck. It was suggested that I "download GPX and save to the appropriate folder" but it has me confused and frustrated. Don't know what 'appropriate folder' is on my Dakota. I'm not much of a technical guy!

Sadly, I'm thinking that, unless I get a new GPS, my geocaching days might be over. Is there anything else I can do? Is there another, more advanced GPS that can handle the 'download to GPS' button found on all the caches online from my MacBook Pro? I'd rather not spend the money on a new device, so please tell me I have some options here.

Help!

Thanks,

John