My PTLR

J Grouchy

Decided to check my list of trackables I own to see where it all stands (I was sort of dreading this).

To date, of the 14 trackable items I own:

5 are MISSING

6 are IN MY POSSESSION (most are geocoins I would never put in a cache since they'd disappear immediately)

2 are in LIMBO, status unknown/unconfirmed. These two were logged and marked as in someone's possession, but no recent visit or drop logs.

1 is still ACTIVE, logged just yesterday. I am not optimistic about its chances, though.

I will subtract those in my possession from the total, so we're talking about 8 trackables in circulation.

Based on this data, my Personal Trackable Loss Rate (or PTLR) is, at it's most optimistic, 62.5%. At its most realistic, it is 87.5%.

Being that I actually own very few compared to many other folks, I'd be interested to know the PTLR of others who own a dozen or more trackables. I know there's realistically no way to estimate the Loss Rate for the entire geocaching population, but I think it would be telling if we could get a decent enough sampling.

For 2015 only... I had deployed 14-TBs to depict a reconnaissance group split into two units... Alpha Troop with six recon teams and Bravo with eight. As of Jan 1, 2016: A-Troop= 2-MIA, 1-hostage, 1-cache?, 2-patrol. B-Troop: 6-MIA, 1-hostage, 1-patrol. In another series depicting airborne law enforcement only had one MIA late in 2015. 2014 had three from this group that I will remake and release in 2016. For me the trend has worsened in the past couple of years. 2015 being the worst! 2016 I'm deploying Geokrets for the first time... However, do not expect much support from GC/Groundspeak users as they have been conditioned with TBs & GC method of logging, etc.

I have registered 49 trackables.

42 were released.

1 is in a cache

11 are in someone's possession (1 from 2006!)

30 are marked 'unknown'.

Of the 11 in someone's possession, 4 were from 2015.

Optimistically, that's an 88% PTLR

Realistically, that's a 97% PTLR.

Of course, the one that is in a cache was missing for 9 years. So you never know.