Documentary Film

Hi!

I recently posted in the "Lurkers" of Geocaching topic about a month ago about getting back to Geocaching, but also making a film about it.

I'm actually looking for anyone in the US who might be willing to be interviewed about Geocaching.

A little about the film and myself - I'm a graduate student in the Science and Natural History Filmmaking Program at Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana (if you're interested in the program itself I'm also more than happy to talk with you about it - we started with a grant from Discovery and have many alumni at Nat. Geo, Discovery, NASA, non-profs, etc.). I'm currently working on my thesis film with the topic of the relationship between people and technology in terms of nature/the wild/the outdoors. I am going to talk about 'nature deficit-disorder' (a term coined by Richard Louv to describe how younger people have become separated and impacted by the lack of nature and unstructured play in nature) and how technology can actually get people outdoors or enhance their experience.

Basically, I'm looking for people who are willing to be interviewed about geocaching and who want to tell their stories about geocaching and why they love it.

If you have any questions about the film or the program, let me know and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible! :D

Despite the lack in finds that I have, I always wanted to make a film about Geocaching especially to get people outdoors.

Also, before I forget, I am preferably looking for people nearby Montana, but I am open to possibly traveling farther. Maybe even snag a couple more caches nearby too :D

...I am going to talk about 'nature deficit-disorder' (a term coined by Richard Louv to describe how younger people have become separated and impacted by the lack of nature and unstructured play in nature) and how technology can actually get people outdoors or enhance their experience.

... I always wanted to make a film about Geocaching especially to get people outdoors.

Your post got me thinking about why some of us see "outdoors" as a calm, wide open space to escape.

I grew up with three siblings. At one time I shared a bedroom with my two little sisters. Home was chaos, messiness and chores. We would come home from school, watch Gilligan or the Brady Bunch in their perfect house while eating a bowl of cereal, and ride our bikes around until dad got home. After dinner we were outta there again until the sun started to set. We had a little creek behind our house where we "observed nature" unsupervised and free.

Today kids don't have yards, except the 6' of chemical laden manicured space between neighbors. Their parents are afraid to let them go out on their own. How do they ever escape monotony or annoyances? Much safer to stay inside and play video games. Nature must be so big, scary and random to them. Our first house in Florida was less than 1/2 mile from a nature preserve surrounded by residential areas. Any time we went there, we had the whole place to ourselves. People just didn't go there. Too busy for a relaxing walk? I guess it's difficult to schedule down-time.

Sorry for the randomness, but if you saw a couple kids playing at the edge of a pond with an alligator warning sign posted, would you yell at them to get out of there? So many things we did as kids aren't allowed any more. There are so many no-no signs you feel like anywhere you go or anything you do is "bad".

So thanks for your interest in getting people "out there".

If your travels take you to El Paso before July, or Washington, DC after July, I'd be interested. Otherwise, good luck with your project.

Hate to change the subject but I recognized your name on a lot of audit logs on our caches in Kansas. You coming this way soon?

Hope to. We are moving from El Paso to DC, I need to move two cars out there, and my wife doesn't want to drive with a toddler. I plan to take one car out through Kansas (and bag Mingo and Arikaree, as well as finally get a cache in Indiana), house hunt, and then fly back and take the second car (and the cats) through the I-40 corridor.

Not sure how many gadget caches I'll be doing, but I appreciate the heads up, and I'll let you know if I need help.