A way to show geocaches whilst in a navigation app?

WattsThat

Is there a way to show geocaches inside a navigation map? I'm always using Google Maps to navigate to specific addresses for work, and it would be awesome if I could just see the caches while I drive along a route.

What device are you using? More information required. Caches can be loaded to a car GPS as POIs which will show up on a map.

Ah, so I'm using Android. I do service calls for work so I'm always on the road punching addresses into Google Maps. I'd love a way for nearby caches to be visible on the map while I'm driving so I can decide to stop if I happen to have time. Sort of a way to integrate the hobby into my workspace ;)

Have not tried using smartphone as that uses too much data.

There are ways around that. The app I mentioned above can be set up to use zero data, and that's how I normally use it. (I'm spending a pittance on data BTW, less than I did on the landline my current cellphone replaced.)

Wow, Locus does indeed look to be massively full-featured. A little daunting. I'll need to sit down and really figure it out.

Locus does indeed look to be massively full-featured. A little daunting. I'll need to sit down and really figure it out.

I've switched to Locus Map Pro this weekend. I had GDAK, which was forgetting how to show map blocks, so I'm replacing it. Locus has built-in Geocaching features, so although I thought I needed their Geocaching Plugin, I guess I didn't. I simply had to find the Geocaching Tools (which are kinda buried in the menu).

The process to have it all offline requires some research, several plugins and files, and placing some files directly into the Droid's directories. Locus has a help forum with bits and pieces of info to help you figure out how to go completely offline with street routing. Here's what I've done so far:

Download the OSM street map file for the state where I live, tell Locus where the file was placed. Locus has a built-in map Store, I couldn't find my state there, but I knew where to find an OSM map, the file I installed in GDAK. That's not routable, but the caches show up on that map as I drive. You can load entire PQs to fill the map.

For routing, there is a nav plugin which allows selection of a map section. The Locus forum tells how to set it up, and I haven't set that up yet. I'm guessing this map makes the non-routable map unnecessary. It has advantages over using Nuvi (for example, you can have all the caches in the world in an App), with the disadvantages of not using the Nuvi (for example, the Nuvi is already set up in view for driving). Maybe try that plugin instead of the OSM map, and see if you save a few steps: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:how_to_navigate_offline

I also see Locus still Working for 5 minutes when I click something that requires it to go online. This is a whole area of issues that affects you if you need to not use data minutes. The Geocaching Apps all expect you to be online and have unlimited data all the time unless you tell them otherwise. I've never seen one pop up and say "You appear to be offline. Work in Offline Mode?", they just try to get data for a long time and then time-out. If you're to be offline tomorrow, you of course need to be even more online today, downloading everything you need in advance.

Anyway, I guess Locus has settings that can make it work entirely or at least mostly offline. And I guess I will remember to not click a menu item that always will go online, or opens another App which tries to do so. You definitely don't want a surprise data bill later. In my case (wifi-only), I don't want the inconvenience of a surprise "Working" message while it tries to get data.

There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle, but once it's all set up, just load a new cache or PQ when you like, and maybe a new map area when required. I think it will be fine.

Edited by kunarion

1 Locus does indeed look to be massively full-featured. A little daunting. I'll need to sit down and really figure it out.

2 I've switched to Locus Map Pro this weekend. I had “GDAK”, which was forgetting how to show map blocks, so I'm replacing it. Locus has built-in “Geocaching” features, so although I thought I needed their “Geocaching Plugin”, I guess I didn't. I simply had to find the Geocaching Tools (which are kinda buried in the menu).

3The process to have it all offline requires some research, several plugins and files, and placing some files directly into the Droid's directories. Locus has a help forum with bits and pieces of info to help you figure out how to go completely offline with street routing. Here's what I've done so far:

4 Download the OSM street map file for the state where I live, tell Locus where the file was placed. Locus has a built-in map “Store”, I couldn't find my state there, but I knew where to find an OSM map, the file I installed in GDAK. That's not routable, but the caches show up on that map as I drive. You can load entire PQs to fill the map.

5 For routing, there is a nav plugin which allows selection of a map section. The Locus forum tells how to set it up, and I haven't set that up yet. I'm guessing this map makes the non-routable map unnecessary. It has advantages over using Nuvi (for example, you can have all the caches in the world in an App), with the disadvantages of not using the Nuvi (for example, the Nuvi is already set up in view for driving). Maybe try that plugin instead of the OSM map, and see if you save a few steps: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:how_to_navigate_offline

6 I also see Locus still “Working” for 5 minutes when I click something that requires it to go online. This is a whole area of issues that affects you if you need to not use data minutes. The Geocaching Apps all expect you to be online and have unlimited data all the time unless you tell them otherwise. I've never seen one pop up and say "You appear to be offline. Work in Offline Mode?", they just try to get data for a long time and then time-out. If you're to be offline tomorrow, you of course need to be even more online today, downloading everything you need in advance.

7 Anyway, I guess Locus has settings that can make it work entirely or at least mostly offline. And I guess I will remember to not click a menu item that always will go online, or opens another App which tries to do so. You definitely don't want a surprise data bill later. In my case (wifi-only), I don't want the inconvenience of a surprise "Working" message while it tries to get data.

There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle, but once it's all set up, just load a new cache or PQ when you like, and maybe a new map area when required. I think it will be fine.

1 congrats, i've been using it for everything; navigation, geocaching, dualsporting, hiking, mountainbiking, etc for about three and a half years now. the only thing it cant do while offline are obvious things like looking up data from online services.

2a Geocaching Tools can be used to download x amount of caches from an area. Center the area where you want to explore, use the "nearby caches" function and select the number to download. The Live Map will confuse you at first, but it's NOT the same as being offline and having waypoints stored. Use it offline, it's much easier on resources, and much easier to keep track of things. I have two sections in the Locus "points" database, one for geocaches where I continually download more each day, and one for "found" caches that I upload to gc'ing after arriving back at home or while taking a break in a place that should have excellent cellular service. Once the cache is found, i COPY (not move) it to the 'found' section and you can watch that databases section grow. Exporting or importing caches from the POINTS section is as easy as selecting wifi/bluetooth/email/whatever as the transfer medium. You can also upload your entire /sdcard/locus/data/database directory to a safe place like google drive, multiple computers, etc so that if the phone is smashed one day, all your data is safe to download and replace on the new phone.

2b you can also use POI alerts to notify you as you get closer to waypoints. select that 'geocaches' folder and it will beep at whatever distance you set, as you become that close. If you use waypoint guidanec, you can set it to beep FASTER as you get closer. I set mine to 500 feet, that way there is a simple audible tone as i get warmer/colder to the location. I can keep my eye on the trail and terrain instead of tripping over things while glued to the screen.

2c waypoint guidance- you can use the normal map display, or the Compass to visiaully guide you, if you want to be a little quieter.

3 Put "graphhopper.apk" in your /sdcard/locus/mapsVector/ directory, and download the needed states into the /sdcard/locus/mapsVector/ directory, then select 'graphhopper' as the routing solution. if you cross state lines, you'll need the NEXT state's datasets. think ahead, OR just download the entire country's datasets, then you have routing for everywhere. you can download the entire world with graphhopper or BRouter, but i'm leaning towards graphhopper recently.

4 when you use the store, follow this path: Menu >> Locus Store >> Americas >> United States >> Assam Software >> pick your state and/or states to download. I believe the first 3-4 are free, then the remaining are around $1 each, depending on the weirdo "Locoins" conversion of the day. maps ARE NOT ROUTABLE, and routing DOES NOT DEPEND ON MAPS... i know this is very different than garmin stuff, but you can literally route across the country with no maps, nothing on the screen at all, just the datasets, if you want.

these are free maps:

http://www.locusvectormaps.com/

and of course there is osm:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

and of course you can always use your old cnna maps from your old garmin too. wether or not that's moral/legal/whatever probably depends on your license, country, prefered dog food, and weather of the day. i have NO idea. just drop it in your sdcard/locus/mapsVector directory and have fun.

5 see 3

6 you can set locus to 'stay offline' in the settings, and it won't attempt to use the internet at all. it will throw up a big red "connection required!" or whatever if it's an online function, and you're offline, or in airplane mode. airplane mode will save a lot of battery while in the woods, or where yuou have poor cellular service. Since I have the USA osm maps on my sdcard, and all of the states Graphhopper data, I could go anywhere tomorrow, and stay offline for a month. If you want to geocache while you're there, just download the area you're planning to be. Of course, you could always dump your garmin's caches to the sdcard and import them also, assuming your handheld has that capability without being plugged into a computer. i have no idea.

7 The best way to familiarize yourself with hardware or software, is to use it. I use locus to plot routes, record tracks, geocache, and EDIT those routes/tracks right on the phone. basecamp is only on the computer so that i can test a track and make sure my garmin buddys won't complain when i email it to them and they try to drag it to their handhelds. if you want to use google maps/basecamp/gpsvisualizer/gpsies/furkot/whatever to store your tracks and waypoints, that's cool... because there are EXPORT functions to upload/share to a wide variety of online websites.

The locus forum is an ok reasource, but it generally revolves around NEW stuff, or BROKEN stuff from the new builds. Feature requests have to be interesting and have a wide audience to garner attention, so if you want the ability to make everything turn pink when you find a point, it's probably not going to happen.

While you're messing with it, try adding a picture to a waypoint via the "attachment" dialoge at the top, and then look at that waypoint on the map. Pretty nifty huh ? :)

Enjoy the ride.

Great replies above; I only have a little to add.

I prefer the offline maps from http://openandromaps.org because they include contour lines. Get the free Voluntary UK theme from the Locus Store if you have a high-res display, otherwise you'll need the magnifier.

Locus needs to download a few MB the first time only; this may explain the delay. Normally I find it speedy.

Routing is independent of maps, yes. MapQuest routing is simplest, but uses a bit of data. BRouter and GraphHopper work offline but need setting up. BRouter gives safe/sane cycling directions, which I love. And your choice of voice can announce the turns. Ivona (separate download) is pretty sultry, and she'll lead you right to the cache, even on trails.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Wow, thanks for the Locus recommendation! I went ahead and bought it, and I think I'll be glad I did. It looks like just about everything can be customized, which I like.

Lots and lots to configure here! Driving navigation is of #1 importance to me here, since most of my geocaching happens while I'm out working (shh...) But it does exactly what I hoped.

I haven't yet figured out how to enable/disable various OSM items (restaurants, govt buildings, etc) so nav is less cluttered

Is there a 1st person (3d?) mode?

Does Mapquest routing take traffic into account, by chance?

Displaying the offline maps is quite jumpy as they load on my Galaxy S4 - I'm wondering if there are optimized maps to account for this, or if there's another option somewhere...

Edited by WattsThat

I think the offline vector maps from the Locus Store let you enable/disable POI categories. I haven't tried it, but I know they store- and handle POIs separately from the maps now, I think with that in mind. (With vector maps in general, you can experiment with different themes, each of which has their own ideas of what POIs are important or not.)

There's an Augmented Reality add-on (see Play Store) that might be what you're looking for.

No idea if MapQuest routing looks at traffic. But on the plus side, it seems more complete, whereas OSM-based routing (BRouter, GraphHopper) definitely has gaps. That'll get better over time.

Jumpy offline maps? Haven't noticed it, but my phone is supposed to be fast. It does seem zippier to load offline map tiles than wait for the internet to provide online ones.

Yeah, if it does that, I haven't found it yet. I'm still discovering stuff. :lol:

BTW, here's a gratuitous screenshot:

7236e4a9-ee59-4dc4-8eca-a89df0b56dcb_l.jpg

This is a vector map from openandromaps.org, with Voluntary UK theme (actually a personally tweaked version because I don't like brown roads, yes I'm a geek), a theme which (unlike most) nicely magnifies things as you zoom in. Slope shading provided by manually-downloaded files from viewfinderpanoramas.org, though I think there's also a way to get it more automatically. Caches are from PQs, so this is fully offline - though in Korea you're never away from cell signal if you need to quickly check spoiler photos or load more logs.

And the scene, a blueprint for a great caching day. A train station, a few hills, and some caches. B)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

1 Wow, thanks for the Locus recommendation! I went ahead and bought it, and I think I'll be glad I did. It looks like just about everything can be customized, which I like.

Lots and lots to configure here! Driving navigation is of #1 importance to me here, since most of my geocaching happens while I'm out working (shh...) But it does exactly what I hoped.

2 I haven't yet figured out how to enable/disable various OSM items (restaurants, govt buildings, etc) so nav is less cluttered

3 Is there a 1st person (3d?) mode?

4 Does Mapquest routing take traffic into account, by chance?

5 Displaying the offline maps is quite jumpy as they load on my Galaxy S4 - I'm wondering if there are optimized maps to account for this, or if there's another option somewhere...

1 cool, enjoy :)

2 some of the themes allow for LOTS of customization (poi anyway) like Elements and Voluntary.

3 nope, only virtual reality plugin. if you want to request that feature, as the dev on the locus forum help pages. it will likely be denied as i'm sure people have already requested, but as more people ask, it's always possible.

4 no, but you can turn on Google's Traffic as a map overlay to see what's going on up ahead. (service required)

5 use the locus store maps, or the smallest vector files you can find for your area. here in the US, a state is small enough to make it smooth, at around 80-300Mb. if you're using a vector map that is 3-4GB in size, it will not be smooth. IMAGE based maps are usually smoother, because it'a an image instead of vectors being built on the fly. :)