No trackable log

justintim1999

During a maintenance run I discovered that a trackable that was listed in the cache was missing. After looking back through the logs I realized that there was no log actually showing that it was dropped off.

10/22/15 Trackable visited a cache

11/13/15 Cacher posted a note on my cache page that the trackable was missing

12/12/15 Visited the cache and verified it was gone.

Is it possible to log a trackable into a cache's inventory without some sort of log in the history? Was the log simply deleted?

Thanks

The log could have been deleted by the log owner, often in attempt to fix a logging error. ( Deleting the log does NOT reverse the action. A dropped trackable remains dropped, a disabled listing remains disabled.)

Sometimes they'll delete a "drop" log because they realize they logged the drop into the wrong cache.

Unfortunately, this will usually be a dead end for them. Once they've "dropped it" as log type, it's not in their Inventory.

Now, to straighten out the problem, they need the tracking code to "grab" it again, and then correctly drop it in the cache where they actually placed it.

And they don't have that tracking code anymore, because they dropped the trackable into a cache - just not your cache.

If they posted a note to the trackable page, the trackable owner could do this, but generally they don't realize that.

The log could have been deleted by the log owner, often in attempt to fix a logging error. ( Deleting the log does NOT reverse the action. A dropped trackable remains dropped, a disabled listing remains disabled.)

Sometimes they'll delete a "drop" log because they realize they logged the drop into the wrong cache.

Unfortunately, this will usually be a dead end for them. Once they've "dropped it" as log type, it's not in their Inventory.

Now, to straighten out the problem, they need the tracking code to "grab" it again, and then correctly drop it in the cache where they actually placed it.

And they don't have that tracking code anymore, because they dropped the trackable into a cache - just not your cache.

If they posted a note to the trackable page, the trackable owner could do this, but generally they don't realize that.

Thanks. So the best course of action on the cachers part would be to leave the "dropped" log and post another log explaining the situation. As a cache owner I should simply mark the travel bug as missing?

So the best course of action on the cachers part would be to leave the "dropped" log and post another log explaining the situation.

Well, the best course for the cacher would be to write down all TB tracking numbers as soon as they pick them up so they can fix problems like this. Having failed to do this, the note logged to the TB should say where the TB really is. Best to leave a note on the cache page, too. We can see clearly from this example why that's useful.

Anyway, yeah, there's nothing you can do about it but tell the system it's not there. It would be nice if you reported the results of your investigation in the Missing log.

So the best course of action on the cachers part would be to leave the "dropped" log and post another log explaining the situation.

Well, the best course for the cacher would be to write down all TB tracking numbers as soon as they pick them up so they can fix problems like this. Having failed to do this, the note logged to the TB should say where the TB really is. Best to leave a note on the cache page, too. We can see clearly from this example why that's useful.

Anyway, yeah, there's nothing you can do about it but tell the system it's not there. It would be nice if you reported the results of your investigation in the Missing log.

This may sound silly but how can you report that in the missing log. I've tried that before and the system won't let me alter the standard log. I assume you would have to post a note to accompany the missing log?