FTF

The S Team 4

I have searched the entire website, gone through my profile and public profile but I can't seem to locate a list or count of my personal FTF's. Can someone help?

Also, in the right hand side of the geocaching.com page (after logging in) there is 2 boxes. One has your number of finds and other your number of hides. It would be nice to see a 3rd box with your number of FTF's.

I have searched the entire website, gone through my profile and public profile but I can't seem to locate a list or count of my personal FTF's. Can someone help?

Also, in the right hand side of the geocaching.com page (after logging in) there is 2 boxes. One has your number of finds and other your number of hides. It would be nice to see a 3rd box with your number of FTF's.

Groundspeak does not keep count of your FTF's. They don't seem to have any interest in maintaining those stats.

You need to do it yourself, in some fashion.

It's considered a side-game, fraught with drama and dispute. I don't think GS should be obligated to keep score or get involved in any way.

Don't hold your breath waiting for GS to add this to your profile stats.

B.

You can make a Bookmark List of your FTF. That's what I have done.

If you put FTF in the log you can load your found pq to GSAK and search for them there to keep your own tally.

This issue is fraught with problems and has been discussed forever. For instance who gets FTF the first log or the first person to log online. Just one problem

And when you're not the first finder, but write in your log "Congratulations to the FTF" it messes with the search! :laughing:

I also am opposed to the FTF count becoming a standard part of a cacher's profile. If someone wants to keep track of their FTF's, then they can do that with a Bookmark List or just maintaining a list in the editable section of their profile and updating as needed.

@Bear

I prevent that by using *FTF* for any of my own actual FTF logs, allowing a search on the full 5 character string. Been a long time since I've had one, since they're almost always accidental.

Are you going to update all your FTF logs to something else, since your *FTF* will be changed to FTF (italicized FTF) next week? I don't have a lot of FTF's, so I just went through and changed all my logs to {FTF}.

I also have a Private bookmark list of FTF's.

I also am opposed to the FTF count becoming a standard part of a cacher's profile. If someone wants to keep track of their FTF's, then they can do that with a Bookmark List or just maintaining a list in the editable section of their profile and updating as needed.

@Bear

I prevent that by using *FTF* for any of my own actual FTF logs, allowing a search on the full 5 character string. Been a long time since I've had one, since they're almost always accidental.

Are you going to update all your FTF logs to something else, since your *FTF* will be changed to FTF (italicized FTF) next week? I don't have a lot of FTF's, so I just went through and changed all my logs to {FTF}.

I also have a Private bookmark list of FTF's.

You could also retain the *FTF* by putting back tick marks around the string like this: `*FTF*`

I selected {FTF} because that was one of the options that Project-GC scans for, and seems unlikely to be affected by markup / markdown language.

PGC says it will scan for: {*FTF*} {FTF} [FTF]

For those saying you search for certain strings yourself, are you doing that search within GSAK?

It will also pull from a dedicated bookmark list, if you have one or set one up.

I think I put "TFTFTF" into mygeocachingprofile.com.

If you put FTF in the log you can load your found pq to GSAK and search for them there to keep your own tally.

This issue is fraught with problems and has been discussed forever. For instance who gets FTF the first log or the first person to log online. Just one problem

And when you're not the first finder, but write in your log "Congratulations to the FTF" it messes with the search! :laughing:

I am careful to only use the letters "ftf" when i actually do grab a first to find. They're usually typed in lower case at the end of my log so that it doesn't come off like i'm bragging. Then i can filter for these letters in gsak if i want to get a quick count.

I type out the words "first to find" if i want to say something like, "missed the first to find by a few minutes", or if i'm congratulating someone for getting one.

On the advice of Groundspeak's own stats website "MyGeocachingProfile" and the major stats site "Project-GC" I chose to mark my first-to-find caches with **FTF**, which now is showing as 'bolded' FTF (i.e. FTF).

I will be furious if these two stats sites are no longer able to pick-up my FTFs - I have around 2730 FTFs and FTF hunting forms one of my main pleasures when caching.

So, although **FTF** is still showing when you edit logs, it is displayed on geocaching.com cache pages as FTF - is this another case of HQ implementing major changes without seeing through all the consequences for the paying membership!!!

I am not amused!!!!

On the advice of Groundspeak's own stats website "MyGeocachingProfile" and the major stats site "Project-GC" I chose to mark my first-to-find caches with **FTF**, which now is showing as 'bolded' FTF (i.e. FTF).

I will be furious if these two stats sites are no longer able to pick-up my FTFs - I have around 2730 FTFs and FTF hunting forms one of my main pleasures when caching.

So, although **FTF** is still showing when you edit logs, it is displayed on geocaching.com cache pages as FTF - is this another case of HQ implementing major changes without seeing through all the consequences for the paying membership!!!

I am not amused!!!!

Furious? :unsure:

I am not amused!!!!

Bit over the top don't you think? What are these consequences you speak of?

- is this another case of HQ implementing major changes without seeing through all the consequences for the paying membership!!!

I am not amused!!!!

Since FTF doesn't exist as far as GS (and most of the geocaching world) is concerned maybe this is an underhanded, devious (but long overdue) way of getting those people to go away. Plus one from me.

- is this another case of HQ implementing major changes without seeing through all the consequences for the paying membership!!!

I am not amused!!!!

Since FTF doesn't exist as far as GS (and most of the geocaching world) is concerned maybe this is an underhanded, devious (but long overdue) way of getting those people to go away. Plus one from me.

One of the premium membership perks is Instant Notifications. In their effort to persuade people into buying Premium, GS states, "Be the first to find a geocache when you receive Instant Notifications about newly published geocaches via email or SMS". Sure sounds like they know the ftf game exists. I also don't think you're right about most of the world not knowing it exists. I'd go on to bet that most geocachers have tried for a ftf a time or three in their caching career...