No notification of my new cache!

LeelaDayz

I placed a new cache on a remote beach 112km away from where I live. It has been published but we haven't received a 'New Cache has been Published' email so No one actually knows this cache exists unless they happen to check for caches if they should ever be out that way. I placed the cache to attract fellow geocachers to this beautiful area but if no one knows about it, no one will go!

What is the cut off distance where you aren't informed about newly published caches if they fall outside a certain parameter?

Does anyone know how I can make local geocachers aware of this cache?

I placed a new cache on a remote beach 112km away from where I live. It has been published but we haven't received a 'New Cache has been Published' email so No one actually knows this cache exists unless they happen to check for caches if they should ever be out that way. I placed the cache to attract fellow geocachers to this beautiful area but if no one knows about it, no one will go!

What is the cut off distance where you aren't informed about newly published caches if they fall outside a certain parameter?

Is this what they call a vacation cache, or do you have a maintenance plan? :unsure:

In a relatively cache-sparse rural area, 112km / 70 miles is hardly what I'd call a "vacation cache." Nor did the publishing reviewer raise this as an issue.

This is the "How do I....?" forum. Let's focus on helping the OP understand how the instant notification system works.

LeelaDayz, are you saying that you didn't receive the owner's notification as CO, or that people with notification settings covering this area did not receive a new cache instant notification email?

Is this what they call a vacation cache, or do you have a maintenance plan? :unsure:

Hundred k is nothing in that part of the world, only an hour away.

Hi everyone, thanks heaps for all your feedback. It's my cache and when I've published prior caches, I also receive a 'A new geocache has been published' email. This time I didn't so assumed the cache I placed was outside of my notification parameters. Thank you Cererbus1 & SageTracey for clarifying this.

We have a lovely geocaching community in the small city I live in and it's always fun to see who will go to great lengths to get a FTF. I've put this cache on Premium Only so I can keep track of anyone who has viewed this cache - so I know if people have see the publishing!

I live in regional Australia and 100km's for a day out is not unusual to say the least. We have amazing coastline here and 4wding to find a secluded piece of paradise is high on a lot of Aussie's agendas, especially in the summertime!! If/When the cache needs maintenance or replacing, I will head out ASAP so this is not an issue nor a 'Vacation Cache' ?

Thanks again for all your feedback. I didn't expect replies so quickly so I feel confident that next time I have an issue, there is a great support network on this forum!

As the owner of the cache, you should receive an email. This has nothing to do with having notifications for new caches set up.

Check that you have Groundspeak as an accepted contact. The email could have gone to your spam folder.

Did you receive the email when you first submitted the cache for review?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=81

If you've successfully submitted a geocache for review, and have read the email from noreply@geocaching.com

Note: It is a good idea to verify that you can receive from noreply@geocaching.com (sometimes this email is caught by your Spam filter; if so, you can update your Spam settings).

B.

Hundred k is nothing in that part of the world, only an hour away.

I was confused with the OP's "Does anyone know how I can make local geocachers aware of this cache?", and it looked like a tourist destination.

When I convert km to miles, it is only a short distance of travel.

I'm guessing locals in the area will see the cache being listed. I watch for new caches within 30 miles from my home coordinates.

LeelaDayz - I just looked at your profile and see you are in Albany, Western Australia. That's where I was born! (Although I moved to the east coast as a two year old). 100km in your part of the world is nothing!

Hope you get lots of finders on your cache. I will certainly look it out next time I am over west.

Yeah that's fair enough colleda, otherwise they get left and end up as litter if not maintained or removed. My cache has been approved and published but is out of my set notification parameters.

A WA geocaching page is a great idea and I'll have a look to see if any exist!

Thanks everyone, my issue has been resolved now.

Yeah that's fair enough colleda, otherwise they get left and end up as litter if not maintained or removed. My cache has been approved and published but is out of my set notification parameters.

A WA geocaching page is a great idea and I'll have a look to see if any exist!

There's a Facebook group that calls itself West Oz Geocaching.

--Larry

My cache has been approved and published but is out of my set notification parameters.

Well, no...

As the owner of the cache, you should receive no less than 3 emails when a cache of yours gets published, regardless of how far away it is. You'd get at least 4 if it was within your notification range, and possibly even more if you have multiple overlapping notifications. If you didn't get any emails, then there's a configuration problem with your email, likely a spam filter as mentioned above by Pup Patrol. You'll need to get that sorted out, because otherwise you won't get emails about logs on your cache, messages from cachers or reviewers, etc.

Glad you got it all cleared up. I thought I would add like cerberus1 said you can set up your notification to I think 49 miles from your home location. You can also set it to less if you know you don't go that far for a FTF. I know some around here only have there's set to 10 miles. I also think you can pick a few points to get notifications from. So it would depend on there settings and yours to if you or your local cachers would get the notification.