Lists

Jayme H

Do you use lists? Why or why not?

-Yes, I do use lists! They give me a way to organize caches into manageable groups.

How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

I currently use lists for a lot of reasons. One is that I will put caches on a bookmark list for a challenge cache I am working on. It is a lot easier to put a link to my bookmark list than to actually type out all qualifying caches for a specific challenge cache. I currently have book mark lists for a Holidays Challenge and a Full Moon Challenge. I also like to make a bookmark list of caches that I want to find when I’m going on a trip. This helps me set a target and pick out certain caches that are “must do’s” for a road trip or when I’m visiting an area. I also use the watchlist feature. I will add newly published caches to my watchlist to see if a FTF has already been claimed. I also add caches to my watchlist that I have DNF’d so that I can see if anyone finds it after I search or if the cache owner has performed any maintenance on the cache. I don’t use the ignore list very often. It is currently hard to add caches to a list in bulk, you have to add them one by one.

How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

One feature I would really like to see for lists is the ability to view the list on a map without having to take the extra step to make a pocket query. This helps me visualize the caches and could better help me plan my route if I’m taking a trip. I also like the idea of multiple people being able to add caches to one list. This would work really well if you’re going somewhere with multiple people and then everyone can add the caches they’d like to get. I’d also like to see the ability to add multiple caches to a list at once, perhaps from a specific search or select a few caches from a search to add to the list. I’d also like to be able to view my lists from the mobile app or be able to export a GPX file instead of having to take the extra step to create a pocket query. I also agree with others that it would be nice to have the option to bulk remove found and/or archived caches from a list. The ability to sort a list by particular fields would be great too. For example, sort by distance from home, sort by favorite points, sort by difficult, sort by cache type/size, etc. I would also like to be able to “copy” someone else’s list into my own list, instead of creating a PQ off of their list.

Do I use lists: Yes, to categorise caches.

How? I have "puzzles solved not found", "caches located not 'found' yet", "FTF" (for Project-GC as well as for my records, "caches to do", project related sets of caches, sets of caches that I have hidden to make them a group, "Archived interesting caches", "caches to remember but not watch"

Features: Merge Lists and PQs to be one thing. Search results savable as a list - with search parameters, so that it can be refreshed at some later time - any manual edits should survive the refresh. Create ability to filter logs based on lists - ie like WATCH list, but perhaps "only DNF logs" or "not 'write note' logs".

(It would also be nice to be able to add 26 flags per cache A..Z per premium user and use those as extra search criteria for whatever the user feels would be good. I might use "C" as "Is a Church Micro cache". The resulting filtered search [eg ((A&C)+(F&C))&!Z) ] could then become a list.)

1. Do you use lists? Why or why not?

All the time.

2. How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

Some of the reasons:
    Keeping track of caches that let me qualify for a challenge cache.
    Keeping track of caches that are goals of some kind, such as the remaining caches I need in a blackout challenge.
    Caches that I want to hit on a specific day or trip.
    Caches that meet certain criteria that I want to get when I'm in a specific area, that are hard or impossible to search for in the field, such as "all the caches in WA that have a wilson index greater than 0.30"
    most importantly: For puzzles that I've solved that I want to get a map of their corrected coordinates. The only way to do this is to create a list, make a Pocket Query from that list, then view that Pocket Query on the web version of the map. (every other view shows the original coordinates, which is useless whe trying to plan a trip to get many solved puzzles)

3. How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

Biggest missing feature I can think of is the ability to add a cache to a given list from a dropdown or popover, instead of having to navigate to a new web page.

I don't use lists much. I do use the watchlist for traveling caches. I might use lists more, if they were easier to use, and would meet my needs. Currently, I use GSAK because of the way I manage caches on my GPSr. That being said, here is how and why I use GSAK, and what it would take to get me to abandon it.

Underlying all of this is the fact that I don't like the administrative overhead portion of geocaching. I don't want to spend a lot of time before I go out caching. I just want to grab the GPSr and go.

My GPSr does not have the ability load select GPX files, it will load all of them, and I don't have any control over this. I have a number of self-inflicted personal goals, such as D/T matrix, Jasmer, 360 degree, etc. I use GSAK to identify caches that would help me meet my goals. I also do spur of the moment caching. As mentioned above, I really don't want to pull out my computer to update my GPSr for each and every caching trip. Therefore, if a cache is in GSAK, it also on my GPSr. When I load the caches, I add a unique three character code to the name of the cache for each goal. Jhv for Jasmer, Chv for 360 degree, Thv for a GeoTour, Dhv for D/T matrix, etc. I also add a tag for caches with updated coords. I can then use the search function on the GPSr to find all special caches (search for 'hv'), or a specific goal. This allows me to partially overcome the limitations of my GPSr.

So, that's the end goal for me, being able to use my GPSr without having to constantly update the caches on it. Now let's see how changes to lists would help me.

I start with selecting caches. I use general area searches to get everything in the area. I use PQ to find new caches in those areas, and I do specific, targeted searches. The targeted searches may be route limited, and/or attribute limited. (My definition of attribute includes all attributes of a cache, such as size, difficulty, distance, bearing, existence of corrected coordinate, etc., and not just the 'attribute' fields.) I would like the ability to save the search, and/or the results of the search. For saved searches, I want to ability to have them run on a schedule and e-mail/API me a GPX of the caches.

I do have 'special' caches which are usually selected on a cache by cache basis. Essentially my bucket list of caches.

I consider lists to be a bulk tool. Therefore, any processing of lists needs to be able to be done in a bulk fashion. In other words, I want to be able to mark a number of caches in a list, and move/copy them to another list, or delete them, or create a GPX. One cache at a time processing will not cut it. Other list processing tools, such as intersection or joins, might be nice.

From a list of lists page, I would like the ability to select and download GPX files for any/all lists at once. Whether the system creates a unique GPX file, or merges them all into one, does not matter to me. I would also like the ability to select multiple lists, and go to the map view.

I do like ignore lists and watch lists. But I do think having just a single ignore and a single watch list is too limiting. So, being able to mark any list as one (or both) of these kinds of lists would be nice. So, a list should have at least these two attributes. Are there any other attributes/special processing that should be associated with a list? If a list is marked as a watch list, it may be nice to be able to limit the types of log messages. I might only want note logs (useful for updated coords on a traveling cache), or NM logs, etc. If a log does match a watch type list, the name of the list (or an abbreviation) should be added to the subject line for e-mail filtering/processing on my e-mail client.

I haven't really thought about whether lists should be considered ordered or not. An ordered list could be used to draw lines between the caches on a map.

As for how to update my GPSr with my special tags, that's a tough one. If the GPX download process for a list would append the personal cache note field to the name of the cache, that would solve that. Because a cache could be on multiple lists, just adding a code based on the list wouldn't work. The GPSr would only show the cache name from the first GPX file it loaded. This would require an search/replace tool that would modify the personal cache note for all caches in a list.

Having found a bunch of caches, the last step is to log it. I don't do this using automated tools, I prefer to enter logs by hand. I do however, work off of a list. So, I would like the ability to upload a list of GC codes to create a list. With this, I could upload my finds, work the list logging them, then delete the list.

If lists could do the things outlined above, I could get rid of GSAK. If I can't get rid of GSAK, I don't think I would use GC.com lists any more than I currently am. It's not that I want GC.com to do everything GSAK does, I just don't want to have to spend a day getting ready to go caching. GC.com is the authoritative source for the current status of a cache. Using GSAK means that I have to maintain a shadow database.

Thanks, Skye.

I have been using lists to keep track of the caches I am currently watching.

I am also using them to create PQ for things like geotours or special caches in a locale I am about to visit.

And like a lot of people I create bookmarks lists that I publish in challenge caches.

Are there things that are tough to do ?

I guess after all these years I can say that nor really.

Maybe the way to create lists could be more intuitive.

I know of some people that have a hard getting their heads around how to create them.

1.Do you use lists? Why or why not?

Yes, they are an easy way to keep track of specific caches.

2.How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

I have lists for Challenges, DNFs and LTFs. On occasion I will use a list to mark caches for a trip that I need to share with friends. If I'm not going to share it with friends, I just use GSAK instead...

3.How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

My main "wish" for lists would be the ability to add comments to the caches and list via the API. Making the lists "Friends-only" would be nice...

-TWT

1.Do you use lists? Why or why not?

As an basic member I only use public lists.

2.How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

Mostly to get all caches in a series of caches. Sometimes the owner of a series provides and maintains such a list. But some series are open for everybody to contribute. So you go with a list somebody makes available. In the case of the series Duits Lijntje (GC25Z8Y) three lists are available. But all with a different number of caches...

3.How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

A way to make sure a list for a series is complete is to link all caches to the primary cache of the series. And then generate the list dynamically. If a cache is added to the series it automatically appears in the list.

No. As a BM I have only access to watch lists. I stopped to use it after less than two years into geocaching - I do not want to get many geocaching e-mails (not even back then when they were nice text mails).

If I were a PM, I would not use the other lists available either. I'm familiar with the functionality due to friends who are PM.

The ignore list has some advantages but as long one cannot toggle between displaying the caches on the ignore list and not displaying them, I would not use it anyhow.

My way to cache is not very organized. In my home area I end up with visiting almost any cache that is doable to me anyway in the long run and my memory is effective enough to remember which cache I wish to visit and which not. I do not need lists for that.

I hardly ever visit a challenge cache and if I do I never really worked on fulfilling the requirements. Again no need to deal with lists.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I hardly ever use bookmark lists created by others - most of them are categorizations I'm not interested into. I become aware of interesting caches in different ways.

How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

What's definitely tiresome right now is putting a larger number of caches on lists, e.g. on bookmark lists.

It's boring to move say e.g. 50 caches of a series to a list manually one by one. Computers can do that much faster and more effectively but Groundspeak offers no

batch commands (unlike some third-party applications).

Along the same lines I think that awarding favourites for caches visited in the past is also a tough and boring job and would be faster if one could click on all caches that one wants to award a favourite to. Manually selecting each cache is quite inconvenient and another reason why many cachers never bothered to go back to those caches they found before FPs got introduced.

Edited by cezanne

Yes, mostly the watch list to be kept updated on log entries to interesting caches.

Sometimes i use bookmark lists created by others but I do not create them myself.

I've never used the ignore list and I probably never will. I know the bad ones around me!

2. How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

Most often I use the watch list to keep track of log entries to caches I'm currently interested in, maybe working upon or having half completed.

Sometimes I use other users' bookmark lists to get an idea of caches worth visiting when going to an unknown region.

Currently, I do not create own bookmark lists because on my GPSr, a Garmin Oregon 650, I cannot distinguish between "normal" and "bookmarked" caches. That would really make sense.

Using a complete PQ of my home zone impedes using a downloaded bookmark list. Both will integrate on the GPSr and the bookmark will not show up.

3. How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience?

I wish I could mark caches as either "important", "special occasion", "special tool required", "part of an series" etc.

I'd like to know from the map on the GPSr - and on the website of course - that a particular cache is contained in a particular bookmark list. This could be indicated by a special symbol, an overlay or another color.

Additionally, I'd like to prepend a short list indicator (max. 3 chars) to the name in the downloaded PQ. Then I could search for such caches using the standard search function.

I'm pretty sure there are much more useful capabilities in lists. I'd really appreciate to have a more dynamic approach to geocaching.

I've been using lists for around 9 years. I don't use many external tools (like GSAK) and lists allow me to organize caches on the website.

2. How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists?

I use lists to plan which caches I want to find, and to categorize/index caches that I have found.

For planning purposes I have the following lists:
    • TODO: When I get a notification that there's a new cache in my area, I read the listing to see if I'd be interested in finding it. If I would I add it to my TODO list.
    • Puzzles to solve: When an interesting looking puzzle gets posted I add it to my puzzles to solve list so I can look at it later.
    • Solved Puzzles: When I solve a puzzle I add it to this list and take it off of puzzles to solve. I leave it on the Solved Puzzles list after I find it so I have a record of all solved puzzles.
    • Recommended: When I read about a cache that I'd like to find in the forums, in a blog post, or based on the recommendation of another cacher I added it to my recommended list. These are slightly higher quality than the TODO caches and are also often further afield. When I decide it's time to go for one of these caches I may add it to my TODO list.
    • I'll often create PQs for public lists by other users, particularly when I'm travelling to a particular area. These lists give me hints about which caches to add to my TODO list.
    • If there are any challenges that I find interesting I may create a list of caches that satisfy the challenge requirements that I haven't found. (These may be personal challenges as well as challenge caches).

For categorization purposes I use the following lists:

• Family member finds: When family and friends who are less enthusiastic geocachers than I come along I add their finds to a bookmark list. That way, months later when they decide to log and ask me what they found I can send them the list contents.
  • Canoe, bicycle, etc: I categorize certain finds by how I found them, so I have lists for Canoeing, bicycling and other types of caches. Often I'll use the comment section of the list entry for additional details here. For instance if I found a cache on a 25Km bicycle ride I'll add the distance as a note when I add it to the bicycle list.
  • Story Caches: If something particularly interesting happened while I was finding a cache and I wrote about it in my log I add it to this list. Or if I'm just feeling vain and am particularly amused by a particular turn of phrase in a log I'll add it here as well. I may add a brief summary to the comment for the list entry explaining why I added it to the list.
  • Favourite DNFs: I can only favourite caches that I found, but sometimes I really enjoy DNFing a cache. If so I add it here. It helps me to revisit the cache or just to remember a good experience.
  • Milestones: I have several milestone lists, including decimal and binary milestones.
  • Challenges: Several challenge caches require lists for logging. Even though I'm not much into public challenges I still comply.

[*]Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

In my mind lists and pocket queries are very similar. Pocket queries are what another application would call a 'smart list' and lists are a 'dumb list'. A regular list can be converted into a PQ, but this is cumbersome. I have lots and lots of PQs that do nothing but return the contents of a regular list. I think it would be a lot easier if I could use lists and PQs interchangeably anywhere on the website (and perhaps see them together). There is a third kind of list in the geocaching application space - the smartphone applications. I can create a list of caches in the smartphone app, but it doesn't sync with or reflect the lists I create on the website. I can download PQs to the device, but it's cumbersome for me to have to manage different kinds of lists and I can't send changes I make on the device back to the original list that generated the PQ. It would make list management much less complicated if the device lists corresponded to the online lists and there were only two kinds of lists (smart and dump) that could be used interchangeably.

A lot of the use I make with lists is 'tagging' caches by placing them into lists, usually when I log them. Right now it's very cumbersome to go back and forth to add the cache to multiple lists. It would be very handy if there was a quick list entry on the logging page and on the cache page. Then I could add/remove a cache from multiple lists at once when I was logging the find (or viewing the cache). For instance I might want to remove a cache from the 'TODO' list and add it to the 'Canoe Caches' and 'Story Caches' list all in one action as I submit my log (much like the 'Add to favourite' checkbox.

It's also complicated to update the comment on a list item. If I add a cache to the 'Favourite DNF' list and then add it a second time it warns me that it's already in the list, and tells me that I can edit the existing comment if I wish. It would be much easier if I could edit the comment immediately so that I could say 'DNFd twice' or something to that effect as a way to record my persistence. As it is I have to make several clicks in order to edit the existing entry.

[*]How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

Lists allow me to plan caches when I'm at home, but since they don't appear on my GPSr or smartphone I don't have any access to this information. Currently I can download each of the lists separately as a PQ, but there's no way to tell on my GPSr or phone which list(s) it came from. For instance, if I have a public list of 'Recomended Caches In Austin' and another 'Scenic Hikes In Austin' it would be great if downloading the 'Austin Geocaches' PQ would indicate which caches were in which list. I realize that there's an issue with the GPX file format and the GPSr units not having this information, but the name of the cache could be updated with character codes to indicate where it came from. So if I set the 'name' property on a PQ it would then prepend the prefix I supply to the list name when downloading in other PQs. So a recommended great hike would show up as 'RecH Cache Name'. Obviously adding this as meta data to the actual GPX would be better, but until devices can access this information it would be better in the cache name.

It would also be nice to share a list with another user without having to make it public (for instance a family member so that they can log caches)

How I use lists

I don't use lists a lot.

I use "the" watchlist for caches I want to watch temporarily.

I have several bookmark lists of interesting, seldom visited caches, which I watch.

I have two bookmark lists which are the prerequisite caches for my two challenge caches.

I have a bunch of old lists which I once used for PQs. With the advent of the API, I prefer to maintain most of these in GSAK. GSAK isn't always better and isn't available when I don't have that computer with me, but it has powerful features which gc.com does not (and shouldn't), and since it's local, it's a whole lot faster.

Issue: shared vs public confusion

Has been a problem since I started caching some ten years ago, and appears yet again here in comment #65.

The properties for a bookmark list include check boxes "shared" and "public", implying that there are four possibilities. In fact, there are only three: private, shared, and public. It's universally recommended that this situation use radio buttons rather than check boxes. (The database may contain separate booleans, but the user interface should not reflect this.)

The other problem is that the list properties page does not explain what these mean. As a result, many lists are public which should be shared. I see many cache pages showing bookmark pages which are merely someone's list for a challenge satisfaction, or for a day trip with friends. The list properties page did not explain that they could have used a shared instead of public list.

It's not rocket science. The labels could be

• Private: only you can see the list
  • Shared: others can see the list if you provide the link
  • Public: link to list may be posted to caches in the list

Issue: joint ownership

This is exactly the same issue as the long-requested feature for caches. There are two reasons: collaboration and survival. Collaboration has been mentioned here several times. Survival means that one owner can continue with the list or cache when the other disappears from caching unexpectedly, whether due to life changes or death.

One of my challenge caches was a collaboration. I own and maintain the cache and page; he built and maintained the list of prerequisite caches. Last year he died suddenly. Of course I made a copy of his list and linked to it from the challenge, but his list still has far higher "reputation" and so appears in the automatic list on the pages for all the listed caches, even though it's out of date.

Issue: API access

External apps can upload to a list but cannot download from it without creating and running a PQ. It would make far more sense to give the app direct access. It's hardly any different from the existing "refresh cache data" except that it would be "refresh and supplement from list".

Issue: PQ, search, list, and API integration

Already often mentioned in various forms. Fully integrating these would greatly simplify the UI.

• Instead of running a PQ, just "send" or download the list.
  • Want to see your NM caches? Just look at that list. Same for caches I own, found, DNFed, etc.
  • Save query or map results? Click "save this list". (It's already a list; just make it permanent.)
  • Have a condition-based (rather than list-based) PQ? That's what's been called a "dynamic list" in earlier comments.
  • When the API can look at any list, and lists are the preferred framework for grouping caches, the API is simplified.

Issue: simplify grain for watches

I have a list of 300 caches which I need to watch for anomalies. There's too much activity to read the Found It logs, even though there's sometimes value there. I use email filters to discard the Found It logs and put the rest into a mailbox, which I generally read immediately because there are only a few. It would be easier if I could specify on the list properties which types of logs I want emailed to me. (The email filter is easy enough for me, but my experience is that most email users don't use filters.)

Issue: simplify "bookmark it"

Others have mentioned the difficulty of bookmarking from a cache page, and then backing up two pages. This is so 2001 B) ... when you could not assume that everyone was running JavaScript. (I don't know whether gc.com works without JS any more, but most of the web doesn't.) Now, it should be simple: a small popup menu to choose a list, and a "bookmark it" button, no need to leave the cache page at all. Probably the existing "bookmark it" link should be retained for adding comments, and perhaps for adding to multiple lists -- though if the UI were simplified as I'm suggesting, perhaps "add to multiple lists" would not be needed.

Edward

3. How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

1. Yes. I use Lists becouse it is an easy way to put many caches together

2. I create Lists of caches that I want to find to finish some task I impose for myself, like DNF´s yet; Caches to complete D/T Matrix, Puzzles to solve.

3. I would like to have a some Tools to help to find some caches. For Example: Based in my stats find caches in a country or state to fulfill my D/T Matrix. Other example: Find caches to hunt with a friend, based on both profiles find caches in a State the we both did not find yet.

These List result should be shown in a Map.

I look forward to see the new Tools in the Site.

Greetings from São Paulo - Brazil!!!

I use lists infrequently, as I find the setup unintuitive, cumbersome, inflexible and time consuming. Instead I find GSAK, greasemonkey scripts and Project GC do everything I need efficiently.

I use the cache watchlist for

a )A handful of interesting seldom found puzzles I've logged to enjoy subsequent finders stories.

b ) Caches I do not own but for which I share maintenance responsibilities so I see any DNF or NM.

I use the TB watchlist for TBs which form part of puzzles I'd like to find.

I did use the ignore list, but after many of the poor caches on it were archived, I've recently emptied it.

I've made public lists for my placed caches where I thought it would help tie together a series which does not have the obvious series name/number format just to make it easier for visitors, and a list of relevant local caches which would help qualification for one of my challenge caches.

I've occasionally noticed and then used other cachers public lists for things like seeing which caches near me have been unfound for over a year. I'm less than enthralled to see public lists which are only of interest to the list owner (solved & found puzzles , FTFs , FTLs ?!)

How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience?

It would be useful for the list maker to be able to determine the order of a list, I seem to recall it defaults to alphabetical order regardless of what you do, but it is a long time since I bothered ! Where there is a logical sequence it should be possible to present the caches in that order on the list .

A few things which I can already do easily via other sites, scripts and tools which lists and PQs would need to do equally well for me to visit GS.com more often to use them (which is I imagine the point of this)are:

In a couple of clicks have a list of, for example, all my solved but unfound puzzles within a certain radius with corrected co-ordinates and notes ready to download to my GPS.

The ability to filter caches by recent log type, e.g. ignore any with a run of more than 5 DNFs

The ability sort caches to include or exclude a specific cache owner or series name.

Produce maps with the selected caches marked and name labelled, including corrected co-ordinates for solved puzzles and the option of excluding found caches.

Find caches for challenge qualifications and also grid and calendar fillers in a specified area with one click from the relevant page.

And perhaps the greatest feature of the non-GS tools is the frequent and open engagement of the people who made them, maintain them and improve them with the users, meaning that these tools are constantly being refined.

Yes I use it. I make lists of caches I would like to visit, mysteries I plan to solve, mysteries I have solved. And when planning trips abroad. Then I have some on watch. I make pocket queries and download to my phone.

I would like to be able to share a list with a small group of friends (now it is either just me or public) e.g. when we plan travels.

If notifications are under list then I would like to be able to set notifications up for a CO and not just for areas. If I have a favourite CO who makes special caches I would like to know that there are new ones, but this could be far from my normal caching area. It would also be nice to set them up for just your own country. Since there are 4km from me to another country I get a lot of notifications from there, but it is not interesting for FTF since it would take too long to get there by ferry.

Yes, I watch some caches and travellers, but mostly I use bookmark lists so my friends can generate a PQ for caches we plan to do together.

I use GSAK extensively for planning, and I have my own personal graphical tools that work directly with my GSAK database to assist the selection of caches we might be interested in. Once the caches are selected I use the API from within GSAK to populate a bookmark list, share it with my friends, and we then each generate our own PQ from the list.

How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

Not really. Being able to create and populate the bookmark list directly from GSAK in one step (instead of create on the web site and then populate using GSAK) would save a minute or so each time, but it's no big deal.

Rgds, Andy

I used to use the website lists more - in particular the ignore list. At one point, I had a few shared lists that highlighted certain caches - local favorites, my area's musical history, and groups of themed caches that I own. Over time, I deleted most of the shared lists now only have a couple that link caches I own related to the same theme or series.

Every once in a while I will place a cache on a watch list - if there is something unusual that makes me want to keep track of a cache for a certain period of time.

I use lists a great deal, but find it easier now to use an iPhone caching app to maintain them: caches to ignore, local caches I might want to find, solved puzzles/completed challenges, a to do list, particular types of caches, and lists of caches in places we are planning to visit. These can be merged, filtered, managed, and transferred to my gpsr much easier than the lists on the web site. So I can see why people find lists to be important, but I like the flexibility that other tools provide.

Perhaps I would like the ability to hide lists that other people share - to either allow you to see shared lists or not. Or to see only lists that friends have decided to share and to share lists with only those listed as friends.

I do not really want to see someone's list of puzzles they have solved but not found - or even to see that someone has a list of those kind of things that they think should be of interest to the public. So the curmudgeon side of me would like to see a simple clean page without a lot of clutter. But it might sometimes be fun to have a shared-list feature that can be limited only to friends.

Edited by geodarts

I agree with basically everything hurleyanne said but here's my own input as well.

1. Do you use lists?

• Yes! can't do without them

• Keeping track of challenge cache qualifications
  • Caches for specific trips (mega, vacation road trip) or purposes (lonely caches, fizzy, jasmer, etc.)
  • “Maybe Some Day” caches that are unique and fun to look at
  • Caches that were created by a certain cacher but adopted out (mainly for historical purposes)
  • Unique icons (e.g. all of Canada’s webcams)
  • I use the TB watchlist too for keeping an eye on friends trackables, ones I’ve moved that have an interesting mission, some that may be missing, etc.

3. How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience?

• First off, I use lists a lot and would like to have the ability to make more than 100 of them.
  • When caching with others, it would be nice to have a shared bookmark list that we can use to build PQs, for example, I create a list and give access to a certain users(s) to edit the list.
  • Separate from shared access lists, have another level for viewing (private, public and friends only)
  • When adding a cache to a list, it would be nice to click on the bookmark link and be able to create a new list from there or choose an existing list from a drop down.
  • It would be great if the list looked more like a search result with columns for distance, favourites, found, description, info, D/T, Placed, Found
  • I don’t really use the app but it would be nice to have the ability to filter a list or map view on the app to a certain bookmark list

Same as some others:

•  
  • Download as GPX w/account-specific info (similar to showing found status on the web list), not just barebones LOC list.
  • Batch modification; not just Delete from list - Copy or Move to another list (especially useful when viewing others' lists).
  • creating a list from the search tool, and using that to create PQs to send to a GPS sounds excellent
  • when I am looking at other people's lists it would be nice to see which caches I have found like I can with the lists I make
  • add "lists" to the "Play" drop-down menu

* Do you use lists? Why or why not?

YES - all the time. Easy way to keep track of caches.

* How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

I use them for things like:

(a) solved puzzles

(B) puzzles I want to look at

© Challenges to figure out if I qualify for (unfound)

(d) FTF list

(e) When I travel, I bookmark caches that I want to find

(f) I also have a list of interesting local caches to find

(g) to prove I've qualified for a challenge cache

(h) I have a list of "helpful" caches for solving puzzles (for example: GCYXZ7)

Most of my lists are private.

* How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

(a) downloadable

(B) archive - for example, after I've taken a trip, I often delete the list, would be nice to keep

© folders - to easily find lists.

1 Do you use lists? Why or why not?

Yes

2 How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

I use them to keep certain caches together such as those in a specific series, or very old ones or those with specific attribute, also handy for challenge caches were you need a list of caches as "evidence". I have no issues with adding caches. Also to watch specific caches, such as puzzles I can not solve.

3 How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

Many of the lists I have then have to link to PQ's to see them on the map. The ability to save this step would be good.

Hi,

1/ Do you use lists? Why or why not?

2/ How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

yes I use them, mainly watchlist on previous DNF for example, bookmarklists for challenges completion, or to group some caches with same theme (my prefered wherigos, prefered hand-made caches...)

3/ How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

I would like to :

- sort a list by date, type, owner, region,...

- display it on a map, as the Project-GC "map bookmarklist" function.

- have the complete link : search results->lists->PQ

Thanks for this survey.

Happy to add our views.

1. Yes, we certainly use bookmark lists a lot

2. Various uses, sometimes to provide lists of various types of caches, both found and unfound (e.g.night caches found, as currently now distinguishing cache type); also to provide simple evidence of necessary caches found to qualify for challenge caches; also to create a pocket query from the list and in this way download a specific self generated list of caches to the GPS

3. Particularly when using the list to provide evidence of qualification for challenge caches, it would be helpful to be able to sort the order in various different ways e.g. Alphabetical, date found etc

El-jo

This thread will remain open for 2 weeks and close on February 9th.

Thanks for taking part in this conversation!

Yes I do use lists because they help me to organize.

When it comes to how I currently use them, it is so I don't forget what I need, or so I don't to go looking for specific listings repeatedly.

Changes I think would be beneficial include

• Being able to collaborate is definitely #1 on my list of wishes
  • Have "cache notes" auto-copy there from the listing.
  • Merge lists and PQ's into the same tool. I don't see the point for both anymore.
  • Improve sharing so that only "friends" can see the list if desired
  • Make it so the list might be public but the comments are only for those marked as collaborators

When looking at someone else's list it always starts with all of the caches that they have marked as a favorite. Can that become an "open upon request" item? I find their shared bookmark lists much more useful but often they are a long scroll down to see them.

There seems to be no difference between clicking on the list name or the word "view". Being able to map their list would be great for viewing.

If I'm looking at someone else's list it would be nice to see if certain caches are also on one or more of my lists. This would match what is shown on the cache page itself but now would be compact and all in one place.

Hey there!

We just added a few more questions to the original post about lists that we'd love to hear your thoughts on. If you have already chimed in, please feel free to post an additional response that addresses the two themes below:

• The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks. Please see the picture below for reference.

• In creating a bookmark, how do you use 'comments' differently or the same as the 'bookmark name'?

2016-02-01.png

Thanks!

Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name?

Excellent question.

I have a puzzle cache that requires information to be gathered from a series of caches and arranged in a certain order.

The only way to keep them in the correct order in the the list was to preface the names with numeric digits to force the sort.

Edit: typo

Edited by frinklabs

If you have already responded please edit your original post to add a response to these two additional list topics:

Can't edit my original post (too old?) so:

• The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists?
    No

• In creating a bookmark, how do you use 'comments' differently or the same as the 'bookmark name'?
    I never use comments

I use lists all the time. Whether its planning for a big caching trip like GeoWoodstock or keeping track of challenge requirements, I'm always making and editing my bookmark lists.

See above

I would love to be able to map a bookmark list to see where all the caches are located. This would be really great when planning a multi-state excursion when I've planned to get certain caches along the route. Another really great feature would be the ability to download a bookmark list directly to my GPS. As it is now I use a 3rd party provider (project-gc) to import my book mark lists and then download them in bulk to my GPS. Finally, it would be great to be able to order the caches on a bookmark list they way I want then rather than alphabetically.

4. The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks. Please see the picture below for reference.

I've never changed or felt the need to change the default name of a geocache.

5. In creating a bookmark, how do you use 'comments' differently or the same as the 'bookmark name'?

I use the comments to describe the list in greater detail. Because I have a lot of lists going at any one time, I might add some some notes to help keep me focused on the list goal. For example, I've started planning my trip to GeoWoodstock this year, I know I want to hit 8 or 9 states while I'm out there. Within each state I want to focus on certain types of caches. Obviously, this planning process is going to take a tremendous amount of time to do right, so I can use the Comments to keep track of what states I've done, which types of caches I've covered, etc.

The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks. Please see the picture below for reference.

* I may change the name prepending a number to force a sequence of caches in the list, or prepend bracketed tags to group caches by sections like groups of caches, or perhapd prepend dates to keep them in a sequence.

* I don't typically see a reason to remove the actual cache name, but naming really is just for ordering the list in some custom manner.

In creating a bookmark, how do you use 'comments' differently or the same as the 'bookmark name'?

* I may add a very very ters summary of cache properties for skimming when looking at the list, especially if targeting caches and a specific property is more significant.

* For my own records I'll add progress on challenges or requirements, or little comments for myself to remember, which is useful in addition to the personal note for the cache.

* Personal notes are shared to my mobile app, but bookmark list comments (and the custom name) aren't. Practically speaking for the web, the personal note and bookmark list comments seem almost redundant, but having them both is nice because it provides more room for text notes. However I more often use the personal note to transfer text from the web to my mobile app quickly; bmk list comments aren't practical in that way but provide a more permanent quick reference for many caches at the same time.

If you have already chimed in, please feel free to post an additional response that addresses the two themes below:

• The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks. Please see the picture below for reference.

I've already chimed in above but with the new questions, here's my feedback on the new questions:

• Changing the name is something I do often to sort by date found, country/province/state or just alphabetizing based on a key word in the cache name.

• I use the comments section to make notes for myself or to expand on why I've bookmarked it. This can be for challenge caches (including adding ** to a challenge cache to put it at the top of the list) or other purposes.

BookmarkEditList.png

The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks. Please see the picture below for reference.

For most bookmark lists, I leave the name as the default (the name of the cache). For a few, I edit the name, generally to get the caches in the list to sort in a particular order. Sometimes this also adds information needed to verify my completion of a challenge, although if I don't want to change the sort order, then I put that information in the comment field instead.

Still, I edit the name in more than 10% of my bookmark lists. And there really is no other way to get the caches on the list to sort in any order other than alphabetic by cache name.

In creating a bookmark, how do you use 'comments' differently or the same as the 'bookmark name'?

I add information needed to verify my completion of a challenge to the comments field sometimes, usually when I don't want to sort the caches based on that information. When I do want to sort the caches based on that information, then I prepend the information to the name.

I also add summaries of puzzle solutions (corrected coordinates, brief summary of technique, key information for the solution, etc.). This is a belt-and-suspenders kind of thing. The corrected coordinates end up in 3 places: in the cache's edited coordinates, in the cache's Personal Cache Note field, and in the bookmark list's comments.

Sometimes, I add comments explaining why the cache is on a list, whether that's a list of recommended caches for others, or a list of caches others have recommended to me, or a reminder to myself for a private list, or something else.

In my milestones list, I explain which milestone it was (e.g., 1500th find, or 1st FTF).

And sometimes I edit the name, and put some other information in the comments.

Yup I use them. It is an easy way to have collections of caches with a common attribute available

Current things I use lists for:

personal:

- to have puzzles that I have to solve available (for when I'm not at home and don't have access to my gsak db)

- to put caches on where my trackables are currently (to receive mails when these caches are logged)

- to have a list of my ftf's available

- to follow caches I have DNF-d before (to receive mails when these caches are logged)

community:

- I maintain a list of all challenges in the Netherlands and Belgium

- Currently I have lists with all leap day events in the world

Mainly I fill them at home from my own offline db

Missing:

- Can not change name or comment with the API. For some of my lists I would want to add a special tag in front of the cachename for sorting purposes. I'm not able to do this with the API. Would be even better to have a special field available on which you can sort

- View on map. Now you have to create a PQ from a bookmarklist first to view them on the map. Would be a lot easier if you could just see them on a map without this extra step

- Bookmark trackables.

- Would be nice to be able to sort on distance

The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks.

- I use it for sorting purposes. (a text between brackets in front of the name). So if a new field would be available for this on which you can sort, I wouldn't need to change the name anymore

- for my dutch/belgian challenge list I put a short explanation of the challenge in de comment.

- for my ftf list I put the date in here

[*]Do you use lists? Why or why not?

Yes. I do use lists for different reasons

* a bookmark list containing all mysteries or multis that had been solved by me and that I want to search for

* a bookmark list containing mysteries or multis that are only partially solved and that I want to solve and search for in the future

* a bookmark list containing all caches for my next weekend trip

* a few more bookmark lists for different reasons

* the watchlist to keep informed about activities on certain caches (Logs, maintenance, archives, ..)

* an ignore list to ignore some caches

Summarized: the lists help me keeping information together and don't let me lose any caches. Only for the ignore list I use comments why I added this cache to this list.

[*]How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

I put caches on lists to keep track of them or to organize the next tour.

For some of the lists I create PQs to transfer them to my GPS.

I don't set any list to 'public'.

I don't share any list with someone other, but could use this feature in the future.

I don't look at any public lists (those lists which are shown in the cache description).

[*]How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc)

I'd like to move bookmarks from one list to another. Today if I want to do this I have to add the cache to the second list and then go to the first list and remove the cache from it.This is not very effective.

Also, If I add a cache to the ignore list by using the "ignore" link on the listing page, I miss a text box where I can add a comment, why I added this cache to the ignore list. Today I have to go to the 'ignore bookmark list', search for this cache and add a comment. Or, alternatively, I use the 'Bookmark' link, choose 'ignore list' and add a comment.

Third, after adding a cache to a bookmark list, I miss a link back to the cache description. There is only a link to the bookmark list.

[*]The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks. Please see the picture below for reference.

There are two reasons why I change the name of a bookmark:

* a cache name starts with blanks and so it sorts itself at the beginning of a list (for example: I don't want to see a cache named " Cache XY" on the top of my list, but listed under "C..")

* some groups of challenge caches have a consecutive naming scheme (for example "Challenge RegionX #01", "Challenge RegionX #02", ..) . And while looking through my lists I want to see which cache contains which challenge at first view. In this cace a don't use comments, because comments bloat lists too much (I have to scroll too much.. :).

[*]In creating a bookmark, how do you use 'comments' differently or the same as the 'bookmark name'?

I usually use comments only for caches which are added to the ignore list. On the one hand I want to know the ignore reason. On the other hand long and extensive comments on the ignore list don't bother me, because I don't look at it very often. (on all other lists comments would bloat the lists unnecessarily.

Information about the cache, its (mystery) solution, location or something else I don't put into the comments but into the cache page itself, into the 'Personal Cache Note' field (which is by the way much tooo small [:)]).

For the bookmark lists itself I do use the comment field on some bookmark lists, because I add a short description what the intention for this list is.

Yes, a lot. They help me stay organized and store the needed information online.

I have a few different ways I use them. They mainly fall into 4 categories.

1) A list of solved puzzle caches, whether I've found them or not.

2) A list of found Multi caches

3) A list of caches I want to grab while on vacation in certain states

4) A list of challenge caches I qualify for

From each list, I can turn them into Pocket Queries that I can preview on the map. I especially like the fact I can add or subtract caches from a list and they map will display the updated list. This is very handy when planning a vacation.

I would like to be able to run a pocket query and add them to a list.

Simple answer, yes, I've changed cache names. If I want to create a subgroup within the list, I can use a prefix in the front of a cache name.

I use comments all the time. For puzzle I put in the puzzle solution for future reference. For multi caches I'll put in waypoints in case a friend has trouble in field and a point is missing. For challenge caches I'll list my qualifications in case I run across another challenge of the same type.

Yes I do.

Mostly to group like items that would not be easy to do with a PQ. For an example one list is my Lewis and Clark list where I've identified caches hidden along the Corps of Discovery's trip west. Also to isolate a geoart group of caches to separate and work on the puzzles.

Would love to see the list owner receive an email when a booklist is rated. I don't think most people even realize their lists have been received feedback.

4. The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks. Please see the picture below for reference.

Never have changed the name.

5. In creating a bookmark, how do you use 'comments' differently or the same as the 'bookmark name'?

I put in specific info on the specific cache if needed.

Yes, I do use lists. They are a quick and effective way to manage caches that interest me for a variety of reasons.

I use lists in a number of ways: for example, I list caches close to my workplace so I can go out and grab one or two on the way home; I also have bookmark lists for Puzzle Caches that helps me manage which ones I've solved, but haven't yet searched for; Puzzle Caches I've earmarked to be solved; and, I use lists when I go out of town to pre-organize a caching tour or run through a given area. I then take the particular list and create a pocket query from it, making the addition of the data to my GPSr easy and renewable, especially as lists are updated. To me the lists are indispensable.

3. How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience? (Feel free to think outside current offerings. ie: collaborate on it with a friend, download to your GPS, etc) The more it streamlines my information, the better. I'm pretty happy with the set-up as it is. I would like to be able to move an item from one list to another more seamlessly. Right now the only way I can do that is to go back to the original cache page and re-bookmark it under a different list name. After I add the cache to a separate bookmark, then I have to go back to the original list and delete the item (The above-mentioned Puzzle Cache lists are good examples of why I would want to move material easily from one list to the other). This functionality should be added to the list feature. Ideally, moving the item from one list to another removes it from its previous listing, and doesn't simply copy it. Another option would be to offer a "copy or move" command. But most importantly, it would be good not to have to go back to "square one" just because I want to move an item to another list.

No I have never changed the name of a bookmark. The cache name is sufficient for me.

I really like the comments section. This is especially important when I'm setting up caches for a run, or for future task-oriented efforts. I add notes in the comments section that give the general - and sometimes even specific - location of the cache. This way I can pre-plan my cache run and I don't have to guess when I'm out on the road, using the "as the crow flies" handheld GPSr, or trying to harmonize that data with the GPSr on our vehicle. Please bear in mind that not everyone has a "smart phone", and there are different ways of manipulating information. I would like to see the "comments" section included in the GPX file so that it downloads to my GPSr and is readable there. Right now, I either save an HTML copy of the bookmarks file and copy it to my iPod Touch or iPad, for offline reading; or I just print it out and use the paper version.

Yes, frequently. I use lists to gather certain types of caches I want to find, such as highly favorited ones in certain areas. I use them to track challenge caches. I use them to pick specific caches for planning a trip or a day.

Pretty much the same answer. The only thing that might help is to be able to sort a list by something such as distance instead of name.

Possibly to have access to lists and notes on the caches on the lists on the app.

I change the names all the time, mostly to indicate if it was found (e.g. *001 FOUND) or distance to keep them in order of closest to home (e.g. 010.1, then the name). Being unable to change the name would make the lists much less useful.

I use the comment section to make notes about any reason it may qualify for a challenge, or something about the solution to a puzzle cache. Some puzzle caches, for example, are "on-site solves," so there won't be corrected coordinates. It helps to have more information about why the cache is on the list.

Hey there!

We just added a few more questions to the original post about lists that we'd love to hear your thoughts on. If you have already chimed in, please feel free to post an additional response that addresses the two themes below:

2016-02-01.png

Thanks!

When I click to Bookmark a cache, the page which pops up (as you have shown) is populated with the cache name, next is a choice of which existing list this cache is to be added. There is no option for the newly bookmarked cache to go to a new list.

Is this behavior intended? Why can't we have the option to create a new list at the page you show?

Hi there,

good idea you will tackle lists! They're an important feature and deserve looking into.

Here's my thoughts.

Yes, I do. They help me to organize my caching and plan what I want to do next. And they act as reminders for things I discovered but can not examine right now.

Most important is a list of Mystery Caches solved but not yet visited, and a list of difficult caches I've started on. I use lists to keep track on caches that belong together in some way, and to plan caching on holiday trips. Other list are more of a personal souvenir-kind of quality, like caches I found with banners in the listing, or certain archived caches I never found. - I find list-related tasks easy and quite well accessible.

- Collaboration is a point I tried to make years ago somewhere in this forum or the one before it :-) I can visualize lists as a plattform for getting in touch with others, sharing hints, working on mysteries (on the other hand, there's a spoiler problem there), and arranging caching outings with friends.

- I'd like to see lists for trackables, or even combined list of trackables and caches (cf. http://forums.Ground...dpost&p=4947513 ).

- Here's an idea I'd call "Caching Workspace". Suppose you could save documents, tables etc. with a list entry. This would be quite useful when you're trying to solve complex mysteries, or you're an owner supplying information for more elaborate caches, e.g. CITO outings or large events. To be really effective, this would need the collaborative element mentioned above, of course. (I realize this is a tall order, but it said "Feel free to think" above, didn't it? ;-))

- Oh yes, and if I could move existing bookmarks from one list to another, the would be most welcome.

4. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? (...)

I've sometimes changed the name of a bookmark, but I rarely do. When I did, it mostly was an addition to the name, like a prefix to sort bookmarks in a list.

I rarely use the 'comments' field; I prefer to put information into the personal note in the cache listing (even though that is only half as long; 500 char's as opposed to 1,000 in the 'comments'). The reason is simple: bookmarks (of found caches) will get deleted soon (and the comment with it), the personal note (maybe containing the crucial point of the cache) will keep.

Kind regards

Teuto-Yachter

Edited by Teuto-Yachter

1... Sometimes. Recently I put numbers in front so they appeared in the order I wanted to find them. Sometimes I lead the name with the size. Pretty much it is always for sorting reasons.

2... I put special notes in the comments, like if I need something specific with me (bring 25 yards of rope) or there is a clue in it, or why I need this cache (challenge cache fillers, personal goals) or reminders, or links to things. I often copy the list into an email for access in the field. That puts everything in a tidy place and can be easily shared.

Yes. I use them for PQ control, historical reference, challenge qualifications, to plan outings, and more.

How do you currently use lists?

My primary uses are:

1. In concert with the Ignore list, I put caches on that and a "Status" list of caches that may be in trouble. I ignore them for PQs, but I get emails on logs on caches in the Status list so if they get found, archived, or fixed, I take them off both lists and they come back into my PQs.

2. I do not pull puzzles on my PQ's, but ones I've solved go in a list from which I generate a PQ.

3. I have a "Targets" list I use for caches I am targeting when I go to a specific area.

4. A list of challenges I am working on.

5. A list of challenges I have completed but not yet found. This is also used to generate a PQ.

6. Lists for "Firsts", FTFs, and other things I just want to keep track of.

Why do you put caches on lists?

See above

Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

1. Move caches from 1 list to another.

2. Having to maintain caches on multiple lists to watch them for one reason and to ignore them (explained elsewhere).

2. I would love to be able to move caches from 1 list to another.

3. I would like any list to be used as an ignore list. For instance, instead of listing caches on my status list and my ignore list I could just mark my status list to act as another ignore list. Alternatively, modify PQs to be able to select multiple bookmark lists to use as ignore lists from a dynamically populated list. Or perhaps a combination of the 2. Some lists can be marked to always act as ignore lists while others can be selected when building a PQ for even more flexibility when unique selection criteria is needed.

4. Be able to compare lists between 2 or more fellow cachers and generate a list of caches they have in common.

I often rename bookmark titles to control the order of how caches are listed. By find date, sequence number, or whatever.

I've used the comments to enter find dates, comments about the cache, challenge progress status, various reminders, all kinds of things.

When I click to Bookmark a cache, the page which pops up (as you have shown) is populated with the cache name, next is a choice of which existing list this cache is to be added. There is no option for the newly bookmarked cache to go to a new list.

Is this behavior intended? Why can't we have the option to create a new list at the page you show?

+1

Also, I just thought it would be nice to be able to make PQs from more than one list (i.e. caches along a route and a certain larger radius around a town along the way).

Edited by mrcanoehead224

**Do you use lists? Why or why not?

I use them frequently and for some common reasons shared on here by others. Lists help me manage and enjoy my geocaching time more.

**How do you currently use lists? Why do you put caches on lists? Are there list related tasks that are tough to do?

Challenge tracking, trip/vacation planning, solved puzzles organization & tracking, ditto for solved multis. I keep a list of FTFs since I get those so infrequently and I use the ignore list as well. I also use lists to create PQs to move caches onto my gps via GSAK (helps me to then mass log when a power trail is found) I also use the watchlist for DNFs so I can see when someone else finds a cache: I know it's there so I can revisit and try again.

**How would you like to use lists? Is there functionality that is missing that would improve your experience?

Sharing lists with specific individuals would be awesome particularly for puzzle solving groups...don't need to share our solutions and ruin the fun for future finders and the CO. I'd like to add a cache to a list without having to go through multiple pages/clicks. For Caches Along a Route, I never delete them because there is no bulk delete feature. I would clear them out if it didn't take so much time.

**The name of a bookmark automatically defaults to the cache name when you create a bookmark. Have you ever changed the name of a bookmark in one of your lists? Why did you feel the need to give it a name other than the cache name? How frequently do you change the names of bookmarks? Please list out the reasons you would change the name of bookmarks. Please see the picture below for reference.

I don't believe I have ever changed the bookmark name (Bookmark list name, all the time)

**In creating a bookmark, how do you use 'comments' differently or the same as the 'bookmark name'?

I don't...since I can see my personal comments I don't really need this as is now. It could become useful to me if lists were shareable with specific individuals.

YES, I use lists! Love my lists!!!! I would be lost without them.

I use the watchlist on caches:

1.) that we have dnf'ed, to see if other people are finding them

2.) that we have found, and really liked, enjoying reading other people's reactions

I used to have trackables on watchlists, too, but it got too depressing seeing them disappear.

I have a lot of bookmark lists. Some are for particular days when we go out, most are for specific areas, one is for solved puzzles. My "waterfalls" bookmark list has locations all over the province.

Being able to run a pq off a bookmark list has been a valuable tool. Worth the cost of PM, even with the exchange rate.

Don't think there's much more that I would need. It would be nice if "last date found" was added to bookmarked caches.

I always add the name, or some variation, of the cache to the bookmarked listing. This is the same name of cache that appears in our gps, so it's just a quick and easy syncing of information.

The comments field is very important to me. I add comments for these things:

1.) dnf'ed date (and found date, if we are successful later)

2.) found date

3.) general geographic location

4.) date last found prior to our find, in order to keep track of "lonely caches"

5.) "has corrected coordinates" for the puzzle caches that I've solved and added the corrected coordinates

We haven't gotten to the point where we are attempting any Challenges, but if that came into play, there would definitely be a bookmark list for that.

Again, I LOVE MY LISTS!!! They are the best way for me to manage our caching experience.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide input.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Use bookmarks the most. Have a few caches on the watchlist. Never use the ignore list.

I use bookmark lists to keep track of groups of caches the meet a specific criteria:

- Caches I want to do

- Caches I need to meet challenge requirements

- Puzzle caches I've solved but not found

- Caches I'm planning for a trip or caching day

Tasks that are difficult to do:

- Add multiple caches to a bookmark list at the same time

- Add a cache to multiple bookmark lists at the same time

- Sort, organize, clean up

- Download to GPS for use

- Map a list

- Share a list

- Add a group of caches to a list based on a search by cache type, D/T, cache owner, etc.

- Display all cache details on the list page (type, found status, D/T, date last found, etc.)

- Enable sorting by columns or user order

- Group delete from list based on criteria

- Download a list to GPX without the extra PQ steps

I sometimes change the name only to change the sort order of the list.

I add information to the comment section that indicates why a specific cache is on a list. If it's my Fizzy list, it would include D/T. If it's a county list, it would include the county list. If it is a challenge list, it includes what parts of the challenge are met by that cache.

After dropping to BM, my bookmark list of remaining moving caches (logs are "entertaining") are now on watch list.

- Lotta emails. :)

Believe I miss the ignore list the most, though today it'd be the majority of hides, and probably a pain-in-the-can to keep up (so many disabled/archived shortly after placement).

Shame we have no "ignore caches by..." yet.

Yes, I use lists. I consider them an indispensable part of geocaching. There are too many geocaches in any given area. I need to be able to categorise them.

I use lists for many reasons.

- Any time I travel somewhere, I usually create two lists: A "must-do" list and an "if I have time" list of caches. I then use these lists to create pocket queries to download into the app. I don't like to just get a pocket query of all caches in an area. Way too many. You lose track of the good ones in a flood of boring ones.

- I have lists related to puzzles. Ones I am working on, ones I've solved but not collected yet, etc.

- I list caches I need for various challenges.

- I keep a list of events I've been to and plan to go to in the future.

- When I host events I keep getting asked for advice on "must-do" caches, so I've created public lists of caches I would advise people to do, split by area.

There MUST be a way to download Lists (and Pocket Queries) into the phone app. I use this feature on the paid app all the time. I know that the paid app is being discontinued at some point, and there will only be the free app. Please carry over the ability to download Lists and PQs onto it. Without that ability, both the App and Lists/PQs are useless. It doesn't matter what else the app does, if you can't use it offline to cache while traveling.

Also, It would be really useful to be able to share/show a list with friends, without having to make them public to everyone. This would be great when arranging travel plans and caching days out.

It would also be useful to be able to rearrange the order that caches are listed on a List.

I change the names a lot, for various reasons.

- I put numbers at the beginning to sort caches into different orders.

- I add dates at the end for events. I know that the lists try to do this automatically, but it puts them in numeric USA format. I want them in non-numeric European format, so that I can tell the date at a glance, rather than having to stop and work it out. I mean instead of 02/07/16, I write it as 07/Feb/2016.

- For lists that have to do with challenges, puzzles, etc, I can add info to categorise the caches.

I use the names for general categories, dates, etc. I use the comments for more specific/detailed info about that cache. Usually longer comments.

Thanks,

Pan

:antenna::D

I do use lists. I find it a useful tool for categorizing certain caches.

I currently use them for keeping track of puzzles that I have solved and not yet found, along with puzzles that I'm currently working on. I also use them to keep track of multicaches, if for some reason I have not been able to get to the final in one trip.

I would like for it to be easier for me to find what's outstanding on my list when I'm in an area away from a computer, be it via the "official" app or another app that uses the API.

I do not change the name of the bookmarks in my lists. I haven't had a need to do that currently.

I haven't had a need to change the comments at all in a bookmark.