iPhone Apps With GPS Based Compass Option

Does anyone know of an iPhone app that lets you switch off the magnetic compass in the app? I ask this because when I use my phone in my car mount (lots of metal) the compass doesn't work. It points in the wrong direction or doesn't move at all. When I take my phone out and hold it, it works just fine.

Back when I had an Android phone I remember that there were a few apps that allowed the use of GPS based compass only, and didn't use the magnetic compass. This always worked for me. If anyone has any insight it would be helpful.

Although most apps let you choose between true north and magnetic north, the iPhone compass remains the same. Apple has warned that magnets, metal, or other interference can be a problem with the compass, image stabilization, and other features. A lot of people have found certain car mounts to be a problem. Down and Out explains it this way:

Since the iPhone digital compass works like a magnetic compass, many different things can cause compass interference, including other magnetic fields, other electronics, or other environmental factors. The earbuds of an iPhone can cause interference; using the iPhone compass in close proximity to a laptop computer, an iPad, or another electronic device can cause interference; and using the iPhone compass in close proximity to a magnetic compass can also cause interference. Since a car’s dashboard can have a high number of electronics and magnetic devices inside of it, the iPhone compass may receive interference when set on a dashboard.

Sometimes, recalibrating the compass will help, but in the car I generally rely on maps - the caching app I use has online google or apple maps for internal navigation, but links caches to offline Navigon, Here, and other maps (with voice routing) so I generally am using the gps features to navigate to the area and do not pay attention to the app's arrow until I get out of the car.

Edited by geodarts

When I used Android there were a few apps that I used that let you turn the magnetic compass off in the settings. The app doesn't really NEED to use the magnetic compass, it can figure out the direction of travel while you're in motion, just like a standalone GPSr without a magnetometer.