Grrr....Gladware

mr.magoo

Well, was out this morning on the way to work and stopped by a new cache "Bird Brain". The temps were down there (30's) and sure enough I cracked the lid on this cache! icon_eek.gificon_frown.gif

I left some money for the cache owner to replace it, but I'm growling about the gladware itself. This stuff just gets too brittle in the cold temps. I have noticed a few caches that use gladware and the lids have cracks so this wasnt isolated. Tupperware seems to hold up better as I have yet (im my young GC career) find one that was cracked. Ill need to use more care and maybe not eat my Wheaties before hunting. Anyone else notice this too?

I've seen cracks even in Rubbermaid containers. (with the blue rubber seal) Sometimes, it's how the container is placed. If it is under heavy rocks or wedged in a very tight hiding spot, the plastic may break too. I'd say ammo cans (and mortar tubes, flare boxes and decon boxes) would be the most durable.

quote:
I think the disposable plastic deli salad/Chinese food containers are the least durable ... the lids crack after just a few cycles.

I agree. Heck, they don't last two or three cycles in my dishwasher. BP's Wilds of Wayne cache notwhistanding, Gladware STINKS. There are so many better containers out there, so I don't understand why they are used. Ammo boxes cost about as much as a Rubbermaid container and are way more durable and waterproof. For smaller containers, the D-con boxes rule.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I think the disposable plastic deli salad/Chinese food containers are the least durable ... the lids crack after just a few cycles.

One of our savvy local cachers thought ahead and left an extra lid when he placed a cache using that type of container.

He could have left a couple of egg rolls too?

alan

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

There are so many better containers out there, so I don't understand why they are used. Ammo boxes cost about as much as a Rubbermaid container and are way more durable and waterproof. For smaller containers, the D-con boxes rule.

Well, maybe some of us don't want our caches to last 100 years. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
The temps were down there (30's) and sure enough I cracked the lid on this cache!

Anyone has a right to cache no matter what their profession. If you can't be civil around temporary employees (and how the heck did you know they were temps, anyway?), I suggest you leave and come back for the cache at another time.

Sheesh.

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

quote:
The temps were down there (30's) and sure enough I cracked the lid on this cache!

Anyone has a right to cache no matter what their profession. If you can't be civil around temporary employees (and how the heck did you know they were temps, anyway?), I suggest you leave and come back for the cache at another time.

Sheesh.

hmm...In my original post, I was referring to the outside temperature being in the 30's. At that level, the glad ware containers tend to become somewhat brittle do to their compostion/construction. The fault was all mine and I am not angry witht he cache owner, just with myself. Sorry if I miscommunicated this in my original post. Your right people have every right to cache hid or hunt as they will.

Whoa! It seems someone's super-quick to take offense! icon_frown.gif

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheesh.

Wowwie! icon_rolleyes.gif In defense of Magoo, it was pretty clear to me that a temp(ERATURE) is what was being referred to, which in the 30's (degrees) would surely make Glad containers (designed to be single use disposable cheap tupperware!) crack easily. But good gracious, don't attack a man when you don't even have a good idea what he's talking about and may just be totally and completely misunderstanding things! In medicine, weather, avaiation, and other professions, "temp" as in, "what's the temp" is a pretty common term. icon_razz.gif

No problem. I wasn't sure how to take your post and just want to make sure that it was clear that I was growling about gladware in general and not that particular cache, or owner,etc. If I used more caution, I wouldnt have broke it. No more Spinach and Wheaties combo for my moring meal. icon_razz.gif

I should have checked there first, they have a pic as well, and as a good description

icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by EliJoMikMiNi:

The pictures helped a lot while looking through "Cheaperthandirt" catalog. 3@$7.97. Order before December 16 to ensure Christmas delivery! icon_biggrin.gif

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

The Decon containers were $1.25 each at Rangersurplus.com, but last time I ordered, they were out of them.<BR><BR>"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

For historical purposes... I just purchased 2 Decon Cannisters from RangerSurplus today for $3.49 each.

A higher price then in 2002, but in a half hour of internet searching this was the only place that had any.

If anyone knows other places, I'd still be interested in knowing about them.

Cache on!

--Marc

March 16, 2006 @ 6:29 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Depending on your hide spot, any plastic based container should be off limits. Animals have come to recognize the smell of plastic as potentially having an association with food. An animal that eats plastic can end up with physical problems.

My experience here comes from my Whittingham WMA placements where a total of 6 of 8 caches were essentially eaten! ;) This included Dcon boxes.

If you're going wild, go metal!

9261768d-abe2-42ee-bbf9-798766f4361e.jpg

The Decon containers were $1.25 each at Rangersurplus.com, but last time I ordered, they were out of them.<BR><BR>"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

For historical purposes... I just purchased 2 Decon Cannisters from RangerSurplus today for $3.49 each.

A higher price then in 2002, but in a half hour of internet searching this was the only place that had any.

If anyone knows other places, I'd still be interested in knowing about them.

Cache on!

--Marc

March 16, 2006 @ 6:29 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

That's why I stopped buying them at Ranger Surplus. $3.49 is ridiculious. There is a place that sells them for $2 online, but I don't have the name at the moment. I'll have to do a forum search.