Ignore a user

Raven Cooper

Come on! I just want to be your friend! Maybe 1 email back and forth at least once a day? Maybe I can hide a cache with your name in the title and then you can hide one with my name or something like that!

Just kidding. I hope whoever is bothering you that you can get around it.

This isn't funny. And I am not elitist or a bully. What is this, high school? Enough

You other forum topic seemed to consider premium membership an elitist thing but now that you got a free one from a generous cacher it no longer is.

While you can't on the site but with something like GSAK you can do an API call for only caches placed by one person and then add them to your ignore list although I don't think that will stop them from showing up on a map.

This isn't funny. And I am not elitist or a bully. What is this, high school? Enough

I agree. That dig was uncalled for. Perhaps even a little bullying.

Anyway, I also agree that wanting to ignore a user is not elitist or bullying. It's a wise use of your time, money and emotions to avoid caches placed by someone who generally hides the kind of caches you don't enjoy.

There are several carpet bombing cache hiders I would ignore because they carry a sackful of caches and plant wherever there's a space. Most plant cheap poor quality free containers, some never maintain, some plant micros and list them as small (and won't change the size even when the size guidelines are explained), some break the guidelines but keep doing it because of all the fav points they get. No I don't want to spend hours putting their hundreds of caches (all together about 800+ caches to add to an ignore list), on my ignore list.

Edited by L0ne.R

FWIW, you can ignore a user in the forums, as long as their username doesn't have any special characters in it.

But you can't ignore a user's cache on the geocaching.com site, although there is a workaround for GSAK (third-party software) that allows you to download a user's new caches, then ignore them so you never see them again.

There are a couple of CO's in my area that generally place 'uninteresting' caches. One has been placing caches for a number of years, sometimes as many as 5 a week. Bison tubes in trees, LPC's, pop-tops, fence post caps, etc. 90+% of them are micro's. He saturated the area with these. Then, along came a kid who placed even more 'uninteresting' caches in the same manner.

These CO's do very little maintenance on their caches. I found one of the kid's caches strewn across GZ, no container, just a log sheet, and a couple of piece of swag. I carried the pieces over to his house and handed them to him. He did not respond by disabling the cache, and there was no response to my NM post. Reviewer has archived a number of their caches due to non-response. Yet these CO's are still active cachers, and are still placing new caches.

But then, every once in a while, these two CO's would surprise me. It would be a fun cache. Once the kid (with his mom's help and permission), built a TARDIS out of a file cabinet, and set it up as a TB motel in his yard. The scene was complete with a Weeping Angel, and a Dalek made out of flowerpots.

My point? Ignoring a user might cause you to miss a nice cache. I do have quite a number of the above mentioned CO's caches on ignore, but I still do it on a cache by cache basis. I do use tools (GSAK in my case) to help me in determining which caches to ignore.

(By the way, when I say 'kid', I don't mean it in an insulting manner. He is just inexperienced, and is just placing caches based on the caches he has seen. He is young, when he started he had to ask his mom to drive him to go find caches, he didn't have his driver's license. I see both him and his mom at local events and get along just fine with them.)

Skye.

My point? Ignoring a user might cause you to miss a nice cache.
True. But if there are still more un-ignored caches around than you will ever find, then missing a few here and there isn't that much of a problem.

And an "ignore caches owned by user" feature would still help those who want to ignore numbers run trails, which are often owned by a sock-puppet account created specifically for the numbers run trail.

some break the guidelines but keep doing it because of all the fav points they get.

This intrigued me. How does one break the guidelines but get favorites? Can you give an example?

(I don't want to do this, just want to watch for it)

Just a few examples:

An elaborate fake bird house nailed to a tree.

Dig a hole and put a custom made treasure box into it.

Modifying the "plumbing" (which is almost certainly private property) but adding an additional pipe which looks like it's part of the original.

some break the guidelines but keep doing it because of all the fav points they get.

This intrigued me. How does one break the guidelines but get favorites? Can you give an example?

I found one that was a garden hose reeling device screwed to a tree (with 10 screws). 30 fav points.

Found one last week that was a garden water tap screwed to a community trailhead post. 28 fav points.

A wooden dragon sign screwed to a tree. 29 fav points.

FYI for reference, the guidelines can be found here: Fundamental Placement Guidelines

Edited by L0ne.R

Just a few examples:

Modifying the "plumbing" (which is almost certainly private property) but adding an additional pipe which looks like it's part of the original.

Found a 2 foot box buried in a cemetery once. Lots of favourite points for that one, and an article in the local GC association's blog as a must-do cache. It was quite creative, but a guideline breaker.

I've also found chain link fence post caps that looked like the original (not new, same weathered patina as the rest of the caps) modified for a dangling cache (some have holes drilled into them, some have epoxy glue).

I've also found fence post caps that definitely had a new cap, one that was nothing like the others so it was a quick easy guess at which one held the cache. But then I wondered what they did with the original cap, throw it away?

The most popular guideline breaker that I see is things screwed to trees. Another popular one is drilling into things to fit a micro cache (often covered with a reflecting circle or a branch that fits into the hole).

Just a few examples:

Found a 2 foot box buried in a cemetery once. Lots of favourite points for that one, and an article in the local GC association's blog as a must-do cache. It was quite creative, but a guideline breaker.

I've also found chain link fence post caps that looked like the original (not new, same weathered patina as the rest of the caps) modified for a dangling cache (some have holes drilled into them, some have epoxy glue).

I've also found fence post caps that definitely had a new cap, one that was nothing like the others so it was a quick easy guess at which one held the cache. But then I wondered what they did with the original cap, throw it away?

The most popular guideline breaker that I see is things screwed to trees. Another popular one is drilling into things to fit a micro cache (often covered with a reflecting circle or a branch that fits into the hole).

And then there is the fake sprinkler cache (buried) and the fake electrical plate on a electric substation box (defacing private property).

How many caches are actually on private property with out permission but nobody posts a N/A on them because they're a "favorite"?

How many caches are actually on private property with out permission but nobody posts a N/A on them because they're a "favorite"?

Time for another witch hunt ... :ph34r:

A witch hunt might eliminate a few caches. I find that far more palatable that perpetuating a perception that players of the game will willingly break laws (and other players will condone it) in order to play the game.

Time for another witch hunt ... :ph34r:

A witch hunt might eliminate a few caches. I find that far more palatable that perpetuating a perception that players of the game will willingly break laws (and other players will condone it) in order to play the game.

A "witch hunt" implies that caches would be targeted regardless of whether they're guilty (i.e. violate the guidelines) or not. I'd consider it more of a clean-up or "taking out the trash".

And in any event, "witch hunts" about caches that don't comply with the listing guidelines are not a proper subject for the "How do I...?" forum, which is a place for helpful answers to questions about website functionality. This thread is about how to "Ignore a User." Since there is no website feature for this, please continue to suggest and discuss workarounds such as the GSAK method described above in Posts 10 and 14.