montana 680 or monterra

Styk

Hi all

My old Montana 600 has suffered a fatal injury so to speak, digitizer failure. I have looked into a non warranty replacement through Garmin but it's $220 plus tax and shipping, and it's still gonna be a discontinued product.

I would like a camera in my next unit so i have been looking at the Montana 680 and the older Monterra.

I use my GPS in my truck and on my ATV as well as for geocaching. I have found a refurbished Monterra for $570 and wonder if it has any advantages over the Montana.

Not impressed with the Montana 680t thus far, will continue using my Oregon 650t for Geocaching.....

The Geocache dashboard is very hit and miss, frequently locking the device up when enabled. I removed all geocache files (including the one that came pre-installed), rebooted, loaded Garmin GGZ file back again, and the 680t took more than 6 hours to boot! I called Garmin tech support and they told me this is normal for this unit.

My Oregon 650t is much more efficient (usually 20-30 minutes for very large GGZ files). And does not crash when I use the goecaching dashboard.

Not impressed with the Montana 680t thus far, will continue using my Oregon 650t for Geocaching.....

The Geocache dashboard is very hit and miss, frequently locking the device up when enabled. I removed all geocache files (including the one that came pre-installed), rebooted, loaded Garmin GGZ file back again, and the 680t took more than 6 hours to boot! I called Garmin tech support and they told me this is normal for this unit.

My Oregon 650t is much more efficient (usually 20-30 minutes for very large GGZ files). And does not crash when I use the goecaching dashboard.

Interesting... I didn't think there was a significant hardware upgrade between the 650 and 680, which makes me wonder why it would be worth "upgrading" if you already own a 650.

Interesting... I didn't think there was a significant hardware upgrade between the 650 and 680, which makes me wonder why it would be worth "upgrading" if you already own a 650.

They added GLONASS and the Track Manager application. Also updated camera to 8mp from 5mp. That about sums it up!

edit: oh, you mean the Oregon 650. Yeah, I like the bigger screen :^) and the powered dock!

Edited by Atlas Cached

They added GLONASS and the Track Manager application. Also updated camera to 8mp from 5mp. That about sums it up!

edit: oh, you mean the Oregon 650. Yeah, I like the bigger screen :^) and the powered dock!

No, I meant the Montana 650... which you claim to have upgraded with the 680.

I just ordered myself a new Montana 680t last week as an upgrade for my Montana 650t.

I love my oregon 600, and was kinda hoping that the montana upgrade would include a similar glass screen. But I have no reason to upgrade to a montana unless I need to start using my handheld as my primary vehicle navigation device.

I upgraded from a Montana 600 to the 610..Glonass does a better job for sure.. I got good money for my 600 on Ebay so I'm happy.. They'll come out with fixes for sure in short order. Just keep sending them into Garmin and check the box to allow them to see your unit's behavior. It gets analyzed and sorted out with others.