Cache in every park ?

KenDawg

There was no angry tone yesterday; there is no angry tone today. Placing two new caches was clearly, from my point of view, a mistake; a mistake I will not repeat in the future. The caches have been removed and the pages have been archived. End of story.

Thanks to those who visited the caches during the short time they were active.

DPM

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

I can't type all that, especially when I'm logging away from home at an Internet terminal. How about I shorten it to DPM for 'des palourdes mortes'?

For example:

Find #1955 TNLNSL DPM!

I second the motion! Watch for this phrase - it will eventually arrive at a cache log near you (hopefully not too often).

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

So if I see "Yrf ybatf fnatybgf qrf cnybheqrf zbegrf oyrffrag zba pbrhe nirp ha ynathbe zbabgbar craqnag dh'vyf qnafrag à zvahvg" or "Les longs sanglots des palourdes mortes blessent mon coeur avec un languor monotone pendant qu'ils dansent à minuit" in any of my cache logs, I know its a stinker.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by The BeeGees:

Brian

Can we expect to see

Yrf ybatf fnatybgf qrf cnybheqrf zbegrf oyrffrag zba pbrhe nirp ha ynathbe zbabgbar craqnag dh'vyf qnafrag à zvahvg _Roadside Cache 3_?

Yes, once I find a really lame spot to place it.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

So if I see "Yrf ybatf fnatybgf qrf cnybheqrf zbegrf oyrffrag zba pbrhe nirp ha ynathbe zbabgbar craqnag dh'vyf qnafrag à zvahvg" or "Les longs sanglots des palourdes mortes blessent mon coeur avec un languor monotone pendant qu'ils dansent à minuit" in any of my cache logs, I know its a stinker.

I'll just slip DPM in my log somewhere and you won't suspect a thing. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

_DPM_

quote:

For example:

Find #1955 TNLNSL DPM!

I second the motion! Watch for this phrase - it will eventually arrive at a cache log near you (hopefully not too often).

I third the motion!

I hope it catches on. I'm kinda disappointed that Mopar's "having coffee" hasn't been universally and enthusiastically adopted.

Well I saw the first use of DPM in a log today. A prominent local geocacher bagged two caches (one was mine) and DPM'ed one. I checked and no, it wasn't mine. Whew!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by BrianSnat:

and what if it is on the cache page? icon_wink.gif

I don't really care how many caches are placed but I do share Kendawgs concern that oversaturation could have a negative impact on the sport. Not because the number of caches but because the number of cachers. When Geocaching got started GPS units were somewhat rare and most of the people that had them were techie types or people that used them to navigate in relation to their job(as in my case).

Just like when CD's were new, only audiophiles had them. Now everybody has at least one. So we can expect a lot more people to get involved in geocaching as more people get GPS units and a lot more caches to be placed.

I tend to go after caches in area's I know and like or search out new area's that I haven't been to but look interesting. I also tend to go to caches that I know are placed by cachers that I know have placed quality caches in the past.

Wow - I actually had someone find one of my caches today and remark something along the lines of "caches like this are the reason we cache". What a cool thing to say.

Reading something like that in a log makes it worth all the time spent planning and placing caches. Plus, it's nice to give something back to the game - hiding caches gives each player the opportunity to make the game better (or to bring someone to a neat spot they probably wouldn't have seen otherwise).

Give back to the game - hide a good cache today! icon_biggrin.gif

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Wow - I actually had someone find one of my caches today and remark something along the lines of "caches like this are the reason we cache". What a cool thing to say.

What, were they high?

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

Reading something like that in a log makes it worth all the time spent planning and placing caches. Plus, it's nice to give something back to the game - hiding caches gives each player the opportunity to make the game better (or to bring someone to a neat spot they probably wouldn't have seen otherwise).

I think the problem lies in the caches that the hider didn't spend any time planning and placing.

Throw some junk in an old coffee can, staple a few sheets of used paper together (hey, why spend 33 cents on a logbook, when the back of these old prinouts is still good), and toss it in the next patch of woods you see. Only a partial sat lock on the gps? Close enough, waypoint it and go hide the next one.

That type of cache takes away from the game. Maybe if I was 15yrs old and local, I might want to know about that beer bottle strewn teen party spot next to the local illegal dump, but I don't really consider it a neat spot and I didn't need to drive 2hrs to see it. Even worse, someone new to caching finds it and either decides this is a gross, disgusting game, and never does it again, or they think that is what geocaching is all about, so they hide a old broken, taped up gladware (why waste money on a new cache container, I was gonna throw this away anyway) cache at the trash strewn local dump they used to hang out and party at. Cool huh?

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I think the problem lies in the caches that the hider didn't spend any time planning and placing.

Throw some junk in an old coffee can, staple a few sheets of used paper together (hey, why spend 33 cents on a logbook, when the back of these old prinouts is still good), and toss it in the next patch of woods you see. Only a partial sat lock on the gps? Close enough, waypoint it and go hide the next one.

I agree. It'd been a while since I'd found one of Brian's crappy caches so I forgot. icon_wink.gif

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Even worse, someone new to caching finds it and either decides this is a gross, disgusting game, and never does it again, or they think that is what geocaching is all about, so they hide a old broken, taped up gladware (why waste money on a new cache container, I was gonna throw this away anyway) cache at the trash strewn local dump they used to hang out and party at.

There should be a rule that all new NJ geocachers must find a cache by Artful Dodger, Hartclimbs, Team Magster, Skully & Mulder, King Pellinore, or Marty621 first...and definitely before they place a cache. Their caches are a good place to set the bar. Not that others don't have great caches, but these few come to immediately to mind.

quote:
There should be a rule that all new NJ geocachers must find a cache by Artful Dodger, Hartclimbs, Team Magster, Skully & Mulder, King Pellinore, or Marty621 first...and definitely before they place a cache.

As much as I fall into this category, I think I'll leave those King Pellinore and Marty621 caches for you diehard cachers icon_wink.gif

I can honestly say that I doubt you will ever see any caches like that placed be us either.

I really liked AD's Cauldrons of Courage and would prefer a steep climb over water logged ground anyday. But then again, I am still working on North Jersey, I havent found any in central or south jersey yeticon_smile.gif There a little something for everyone out there.

Ya know, we are pretty lucky here in NJ. We have a little of everything. A little mountainous, a little swampy, a little sandy in the barrens and south jersey areas. We also have plenty of wooded areas and tons of small quaint local parks. Not knocking Arizona or places like that or anything, but could you imagine areas that are ALL the same.

Kar

Already found a reference to a 'des palourdes mortes' cache that was recently placed near me. As a matter of a fact it was a 3x 'des palourdes mortes' cache. icon_wink.gif

Whats funny is that the cache was placed by someone who has found caches by BrianSnat and Scully & Mulder. Maybe the theory of finding caches by certain people before placing a cache is invalid. icon_razz.gif

There should be a rule that all new NJ geocachers must find a cache by Artful Dodger, Hartclimbs, Team Magster, Skully & Mulder, King Pellinore, or Marty621 first...and definitely before they place a cache.

I totally agree with you, we should create a list of the top 10 caches to do before becoming an "Official Cache Placer" or something along those lines.

Each one of those caches should have an unique personality that would define a part of the sport, while providing a consistent base in Coords accuracy, clever hidden location, challenge and accessibility.

I understand that this kind of thing would not be possible, or even necessary in places where caches are few and scarce; but If something like that were implemented in cache-overpopulated areas, I'm sure it would make the caches approver's life easier while it would elevate the quality of the sport.

Anything that would be implemented should at least clearly define what a 1Star and a 3Star means,

One of the main issues I found in my short Geocaching experience is that many caches are misrated. Many rated as 1Star should be at least 2, and some looked as if they were thrown from a car. I don't really care since I enjoy challenging caches of any rating, but if I decide to take someone to a one star cache, I want it to be just that people! I just hate misrated caches...

I love the new Icon-System some of you are using, they are really helpful to determine what to expect when you take children along, Poison Ivy warnings, or close to parking area icons could be used if they are not already.

As for myself I'm still learning from all the "great ones" to hide my first. I know is hard to resist the temptation to hide one right a way when someone starts, but I think time would show that the wait is worth it...

Just my grain of sand...

quote:
I totally agree with you, we should create a list of the top 10 caches to do before becoming an "Official Cache Placer" or something along those lines.

I was only joking...sort of

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and what if it is on the cache page?

Then its a warning!

I have just edited my first cache discription to include a DPM warning. I was almost going to archive it based on this discussion but I decided to hold off and just include a DPM note instead.

GCG3NZ - Parsippany Partroy Park

by volenteering the DPM I hope to apease both sides of this discussion. I feel both points are equally valid, 1) there are people who like to hunt for easy caches in order to increase thier numbers,

and some people who like to hunt more than one cache on the same trip.

also there are some people who like to bring young kids along and look for caches that they can later play at. on the other side of the coin, there are some people who travel great distances only to find a lame find and are disappointed.

one of The orignal intents was a rymeing cache, where the cache was easy, the hard part was comming up with the log verses.

If I am wrong in my feeling that this cache has redeeming values then by all means I will archive it and place a mirco in a hollowed out tree branch re-glued back on the tree (13 feet above ground)

Scoobydooers

quote:

If I am wrong in my feeling that this cache has redeeming values then by all means I will archive it and place a mirco in a hollowed out tree branch re-glued back on the tree (13 feet above ground)

Scoobers, I don't think anybody is putting down easy caches. There is a place for them and in fact I've placed quite a few myself. But an easy cache can be fun and interesting as well. I think Mopar's note said it best and its those kind of caches caches that people are referring to.

Par Troy park is a great place for a cache, so I'm sure your cache is a good one and judging from the logs you maintain it, which is more tha a lot of people do.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 08, 2003 at 05:52 PM.]

Mopar is hitting the nail on the head about what I was venting about. There is even a certain cache, that says in the logs there is junk lying all over the place and behind a warehouse or some sort of building in an industral park.

I don't have to hike 1 mile to enjoy a cache. I think we need to 'think' before we place a cache just anywhere that might a have a tree. I like easy caches too as well as Virtuals.

I respect the police and unfortunately in this day and age we live in. They are suspious about some guy rummaging around in the bushes in some little city park. Just recently on the news they called out the bomb squad because somebody taped an envelope to the back of a statue. They evacuated the building too. No bomb, it was for scavenger hunt. That could have easily been a cache if you think about it.

Maybe finding one of Tom's cache should be mandatory. lol

============================================================

Well, I ain't always right, but I've never been wrong. It seldom turns out the way it does in a song. (Hunter-Garcia)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

quote:
Scoobers, I don't think anybody is putting down easy caches. There is a place for them and in fact I've placed quite a few myself. But an easy cache can be fun and interesting as well. I think Mopar's note said it best and its those kind of caches caches that people are referring to.

I agree with BrianSnat... No need to put the warning on your cache page. I would take it out.

I know I like the fact that there are a lot of caches within my home state. But I know I would rather spend a day finding 3 or less GREAT caches, then to spend a day finding 10 or more so-so caches. I know Mopar and I try to make it known in our logs when the cache is GREAT, and when it's not so great.

As for when we have placed a cache, we have put lots of thought and time into it. It's not something that we rush into. We want to make sure that others will enjoy it, no matter if it's their first find or their 1000 find.

Mickey225...converting people to geocaching one GPS at a time!

Scoobs

I hunted your cache this weekend and I didn't think it was a DPM! I am sure I missed the element of the way the cache was intended to be, but considering where I parked it cut out all the stream crossing and camel rubbing icon_wink.gif

As you can recall from my log, I didnt even know there was a park there. (until you alerted me through email!)

Maybe some day Ill pay more attention to the parking coords/suggestions and I'll get to see the cache from the hiders perspective icon_rolleyes.gif

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

Scoobs

I hunted your cache this weekend and I didn't think it was a DPM! I am sure I missed the element of the way the cache was intended to be, but considering where I parked it cut out all the stream crossing and camel rubbing icon_wink.gif

Maybe some day Ill pay more attention to the parking coords/suggestions and I'll get to see the cache from the hiders perspective

Kar

Actually you were the only one who saw the cache from the hiders perspective <G>,

Its not that I placed the DPM warning because of the cache being easy, its because there is nothing here to see. No famous people died here as far as I know,(a few people lost a shoe in the mud, but all lived to tell about it) no sceanic overlooks, no purple mountain magastisy, no fruited plains, just a cache in a park... .

I am still going to place the micro in the hollowed tree branch and reglue it back to the tree at the 13 foot height, but thats not because of this discussion, it will be because that is a growing trend in mirco placement technogly.

On another note does anyone know what happens to a camara that is left in a cache during the winter? I am thinking of retrieveing the camara before the film gets damaged due to the cold and Im wondering if that would be advisable

scoobydooers

quote:
Actually you were the only one who saw the cache from the hiders perspective <G>,

Its not that I placed the DPM warning because of the cache being easy, its because there is nothing here to see. No famous people died here as far as I know,(a few people lost a shoe in the mud, but all lived to tell about it) no sceanic overlooks, no purple mountain magastisy, no fruited plains, just a cache in a park... .

Not every cache needs to be at the top of a mountain with breathtaking views. I don't think anybody expects that. 90 percent of all caches are "just a cache in a park" and that's fine with the geocaching community. A lot of people aren't interested in a 2 mile uphill hike to an overlook and enjoy the "just a cache in a park" hunts.

What people are complaining about are caches thrown together with little thought and stuck under a rotting plywood board, in the garbage strewn woods behind Wal-mart.

quote:
On another note does anyone know what happens to a camara that is left in a cache during the winter? I am thinking of retrieveing the camara before the film gets damaged due to the cold and Im wondering if that would be advisable

Cold weather itself won't harm the film. But it can become brittle and tear when being used if it's really cold. The heat of summer will damage film far more than the cold of winter. Here, here and here are old threads that addressed this issue.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 09, 2003 at 08:36 AM.]

I did not go to get your cache entitled "Mosquitoland" because there are mosquitos there right now. Autumn is more of my idea to go get that one. Unfortunately, I was driving by and placed a cache there. Believe me, it won't happen again, you and secret squirrel can relax.

p.s. sorry I mentioned your 'cache' to get people to enjoy it.

"So many new caches are being tossed out there right now without concern for the caching experience. One showed up near me that is on private property. It references a cache I hid nearby, but the owner hasn't sought that."

Just becasue there are a couple trees somewhere, does not mean a cache needs to be placed.

Fro.

_

chick-a-flair-nairnt

quote:
Originally posted by Kber:

What does "DPM" stand for?

posted September 05, 2003 11:04 AM

DPM

quote:

I can't type all that, especially when I'm logging away from home at an Internet terminal. How about I shorten it to DPM for 'des palourdes mortes'?

For example:

Find #1955 TNLNSL DPM!

This is from our Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines

Cache Saturation

The approvers use a policy that caches placed within .10 miles of another cache will not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area.

On the same note, don't go cache crazy and hide 10 caches because you can. If you want to create a series of caches, create a multicache.

Why hide two caches when one will do?

============================================================

Well, I ain't always right, but I've never been wrong. It seldom turns out the way it does in a song. (Hunter-Garcia)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

quote:
Originally posted by lavarock11:

I did not go to get your cache entitled "Mosquitoland" because there are mosquitos there right now. Autumn is more of my idea to go get that one. Unfortunately, I was driving by and placed a cache there. Believe me, it won't happen again, you and secret squirrel can relax.

p.s. sorry I mentioned your 'cache' to get people to enjoy it.

I'm not relaxing.

Archiving caches in response to this thread is fine. Leaving the archived caches out there to add to the litter problem is not. Part of being a responsible cache owner is maintaining a cache. Retrieving an archived cache is part of maintaining it. If you can not maintain your caches, don't hide them. I have unarchived and disabled the caches that people have reported as still being out there. Please remove them ASAP so they can be properly archived.

Thanks.

--------------------

frog.gif Personal slave of The Frog. frog.gif

Finding spots that some of you consider lame opened my eyes a little more to the world around me. Knowing where the homeless camps are at and how many is a real eye opener. Illegal dumps. Same thing.

Trashy caches are relative and since this entire sport is fueled by the people who hide caches which in turn gives the finders pissing and moaning in this thread something to seek and then later rant on.

Why are you here *****ing when you could be putting a cache in that really nice spot that everyone else seemed to miss or you wouldn't have so many lame caches to slam?

Where is the "Archive this finder" feature for when some dork puts a clam code in my intensionally lame cache because they were too stupid to figure out it was lame and found it anyway only to **** and moan?

At least Haggaeus has the right idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

...Oh, stop your moaning and go suck a potato. You'll feel better.

Good idea. Get it all lubed up before it's stuffed down your throat. Less effort to get the job done, and you are right I'd feel a lot better.

Your profile at least no longer says why you deleted your finds. You are learning. Maybe a little ways down the road when you are wiser you won't be part of the problem anymore.

My post didn't single out anyone except to say "good job", however you do fit the profile. At least you were a self archiving finder when you deleted all your logs.