benchmark

wogunhiker

Is there any way to log a bm using the description since I cannot find the PID? I have looked on the national site and even tried retracing my map route to see where the bm are located. All I have is the description on the disc and that it was in Co. I wrote down E217, 1941. Can anyone help me?

Is there any way to log a bm using the description since I cannot find the PID? I have looked on the national site and even tried retracing my map route to see where the bm are located. All I have is the description on the disc and that it was in Co. I wrote down E217, 1941. Can anyone help me?

I did a name search on the NGS datasheet retrieval site for all benchmarks in Colorado that start with "E". There's nothing for E217. However, there is an E271 which was monumented in 1941, which matches to your benchmark's date. Perhaps that's the correct name? E271's PID is JJ0517 if you want to check its particulars. Hope this helps.

I did a name search on the NGS datasheet retrieval site for all benchmarks in Colorado that start with "E". There's nothing for E217. However, there is an E271 which was monumented in 1941, which matches to your benchmark's date. Perhaps that's the correct name? E271's PID is JJ0517 if you want to check its particulars. Hope this helps.

Wow, I didn't know its possible to search by description letter! How did you do that? Wonderful info, thank you so much!

How about a Lat-Long. Could probably scroll through that 217 string, but can't remember if I have Colorado in GSAK and it is too close to bedtime to fire up the other laptop. kayakbird

Wish I had one. But I did take a photo. Not sure how to get it here though. Taking baby steps. Not trying to be secretive. Just trying to figure it out.

I believe the disk is labeled F 217. You found my favorite disk type. A USC&GS disk, PID JJ0519

Back on Aug, 2014, you found a cache that was 173' from this benchmark. Geocache Link

Maybe you've never given much attention to the link on the Geocache page that shows benchmarks in the area of a Geocache; this benchmark is listed there?

No matter, if you're just getting started on Benchmarks and their research; most of the folks on this forum are very helpful and give good advice!

Check out my post of the forum, NGS Benchmark Retrieval by State. My link It'll show you how to load BM's into GSAK. The NGS-GPX file converter program I mention is, NGS-GPX Website

It's used to convert .txt files to .gpx.

If you need help...send me a mssg.

9679a7e1-65bc-4c94-8c0d-69786fb488a9.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

wogunhiker,

I apologize for jumping to the conclusion that you may have bought some brass off E-Bay. Looks like Gungadoy figured it out for you - photos sure seem to match.

A few pointers when asking for help:

1} Location - any kind of a description of where it is that kind of follows the format of the Data Sheet

a] closest town, miles on a named road, feet from the center line, witness post.

2} setting

a] post, structure, rock,

b] type of mark (disk, chiseled square, X, arrow)

3] A clear photo that shows both the field stamped designation and year clearly. Setting agency can usually be figured out by the type of disk if the cast lettering has concrete slopped over them. Most USGS disks will not have a year date, and a lot of the GLO (PLSS) here out west will have just the 19 cast in and the ## never got field stamped.

I would have liked this OTM (older that me) and somewhere not too far from you a friend found this one

70e24d3c-6056-4edb-9b21-4f65ceed165d.jpg

I would like to know the true HISTORY - UNK MONUMENTED CGS date.

Actually it has been updated on the current Data Sheet: --- HISTORY - 1898 MONUMENTED CGS

Happy Hunting, kayakbird

Wow, I didn't know its possible to search by description letter! How did you do that? Wonderful info, thank you so much!

Bring up the NOAA datasheet retrieval page: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/datasheet.prl

Click on the DATASHEETS button. You'll see about 10 different ways to retrieve datasheets.

For this particular search, I selected STATION NAME. I've used many of the others over time, too.

I then entered the station name, with a "*" wildcard, and I had to select a state, then I clicked SUBMIT. My search was for "E*" and I chose Colorado, which meant that I wanted all benchmarks whose name starts with E in the entire state of Colorado. I got a list of benchmarks and just scrolled down, first looking for E217 (Station Name is the rightmost column), then looking for other names that could have been possible transcription errors, and found E271 with the 1941 data. A similar search could have easily found F217, as well.

On the results page, you can sort the list that you retrieved by any one of its 12 data columns, so I could have, for example, ordered the results by date monumented, or latitude, condition (very useful to filter out NOT FOUND marks), etc.

Hope this helps.