Displaying GPS tracks in PC

For years, I've used Garmin MapSource for pretty much just one thing: Displaying track logs from my Garmin Oregon GPS. I set up the file association for the .GPX file extension on my Windows 7 PC so that I could simply double-click on the track file from my GPS (in GPX format) and MapSource would open and provide me with a nice review of my journey.

Now I'm migrating to a brand new PC running Windows 10. I still have the many-years-old installation disk for some ancient version of MapSource that I could try to use as the basis for installing MapSource on the new PC, but it might be time to give up on my old friend and try something new.

Did I mention that I really, really don't like BaseCamp? I've never been able to get used to the way it manages data, and I just don't want to bother with it just to display track logs on a map.

Can anyone recommend either a program (other than MapSource or BaseCamp) or maybe a Web site that can open GPS track files in GPX format and display them on a map, without my having to jump through hoops like converting to some other format first?

--Larry

I still use MapSource, and I just upgraded to a new PC running Win 10 as well. I know Garmin doesn't recommend using it anymore, but I have not had a problem loading new Garmin maps, OSM maps, geocaches, and GPS tracks. I hate BaseCamp as well. I guess I'm not willing to learn the new system if the old one is still working for me. If you like MapSource, why not give it a try? The worst that could happen is it locks up or crashes, and you can uninstall it. But that hasn't happened to me. If you don't have the MapSource program anymore, you can go to gpsfiledepot.com and search for "mapsource" for directions to download it and update it.

Stubbornly clinging to old ways.

I used MapSource back in the day. It must have been a really old version because when I installed BaseCamp about 5 years ago after purchasing my own GPS, I found it functioned almost identical to the way MapSource did. But if you're really set against using it, you can import track files (.gpx) into Google Earth, which is fantastic because you can then view your tracks in 3-D.

Of course, BaseCamp can also send selected data over to google earth.

You can still use Mapsource. You don't need a disk. You can just download and install any version of it. Works fine in Windows 10.

If you don't like Basecamp, no point in putting you through the drama of trying to learn some other program.

Where can you download any version of MapSource? The last time I looked for it on-line, all I found were updates that required a previous copy to already be installed. That's why I've kept my original Trip & Waypoint Manager disk, from 2004, stashed away all these years.

--Larry

Where can you download any version of MapSource? The last time I looked for it on-line, all I found were updates that required a previous copy to already be installed. That's why I've kept my original Trip & Waypoint Manager disk, from 2004, stashed away all these years.

--Larry

The full installer is contained within the update. This site gives a good description of how to get to the necessary files and install MapSource. I've used this process several times over the years and it works well.

Personally, I've always hated BaseCamp due to the way it wants to manage and store everything within the program. I don't want this. I want to be able to open a GPX file, do stuff with it, and then save to the same file again. I don't want a collection of various things all mixed together in some nonsensical database. Hence, I keep using MapSource, even with my new Oregon 600. I do occasionally run into issues creating new GPX files with MapSource, but otherwise it works just fine for my purposes.

Edited by The A-Team

The full installer is contained within the update. This site gives a good description of how to get to the necessary files and install MapSource. I've used this process several times over the years and it works well.

All that just to get a new working copy of MapSource (that Garmin apparently doesn't want us to have, or they would have made it available the old-fashioned way)? Thanks for the pointer; I'll resort to jumping through all those hoops if I can't install it using my CD from 2004. I also have the update to version 6.16.3, which I think was the last update Garmin issued, stashed away on a backup drive. Hopefully, that last version will work in Windows 10; it works in Windows 7, anyway.

Personally, I've always hated BaseCamp due to the way it wants to manage and store everything within the program. I don't want this. I want to be able to open a GPX file, do stuff with it, and then save to the same file again. I don't want a collection of various things all mixed together in some nonsensical database. Hence, I keep using MapSource, even with my new Oregon 600. I do occasionally run into issues creating new GPX files with MapSource, but otherwise it works just fine for my purposes.

^ ^ ^

This!

Thanks for putting into words how I've felt since the first day I downloaded and tried BaseCamp. I do have BaseCamp installed, but I can't even remember the last time I launched it.

--Larry

Install Basecamp first and then you can install any update version of MapSource. You could uninstall Basecamp after if you wanted.

Install Basecamp first and then you can install any update version of MapSource. You could uninstall Basecamp after if you wanted.

Thanks. I would never have thought to try that, and I still don't understand Garmin's logic, but it's worth a shot.

I'm guessing that installing BaseCamp installs the core files that MapSource updates need to see?

--Larry

I agree with Mapsource...it has a lot to offer over base camp...I use both and still use Mapsource often. I will always use it. Still don't like BaseCamp. I have to use it because MS won't transfer some data. But I have to convert for MS then it's ok.

Don't ya love the way it doesn't center the map when using the zoom cursor in BaseCamp..You MS users know what I mean as MS centers were you click.. I could go on about Base Camp all day and it's lack of features that Ms has. And another is how MS has a great category system to use. Simple.

Edited by capt caper

All that just to get a new working copy of MapSource (that Garmin apparently doesn't want us to have, or they would have made it available the old-fashioned way)?

It really isn't that much.

-Download the update

-Extract using whatever unzipping program you use

-Run MSmain.msi

-Run Setup.exe

On any half-decent machine, the whole process should take less than a couple of minutes.

The extent of my BaseCamp use has been:

-opening some GPX files to quickly learn that it doesn't handle them in any sane way

-making sure my custom-built contour line map is handled correctly by BaseCamp as well as MapSource before providing it to others

-adding maps to my Oregon 600 (using the unnecessarily-unintuitive map transfer interface)

If I sat down and forced myself to use BaseCamp exclusively, I'm sure I'd eventually become more efficient with using it and find workarounds for some things. It just doesn't seem like it's built to do what I want, though, so I haven't bothered.