Cache logging etiquette question

IOError

Hey all,

I'm new and I have an etiquette question. I'm 99% sure I found a small log only cache (i.e. I could see a piece of paper folded inside a plastic bag) and it looks kinda stuck. I could probably get it with some long needle nosed pliers or use a stick but it would take a while and it's really out in the open. Should I:

1) Just log the cache as found and go on about my business?

2) Log it as DNF with the above information?

3) Log it as found and include the above information?

4) Log a note with the above information?

5) Just wait and check back on it in a while and see if it's in a better position and don't ruffle any feathers?

Things to consider: I'm new to geocaching and find it fun and don't want to piss anyone off that I might run into. I don't want to cause the owner to come and check if it falls into the 1% and I didn't find it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I/O Error

Hey all,

I'm new and I have an etiquette question. I'm 99% sure I found a small log only cache (i.e. I could see a piece of paper folded inside a plastic bag) and it looks kinda stuck. I could probably get it with some long needle nosed pliers or use a stick but it would take a while and it's really out in the open. Should I:

5) Just wait and check back on it in a while and see if it's in a better position and don't ruffle any feathers?

Things to consider: I'm new to geocaching and find it fun and don't want to piss anyone off that I might run into. I don't want to cause the owner to come and check if it falls into the 1% and I didn't find it.

Thanks,

I/O Error

My biggest question - and it might seem a little ridiculous but hear me out - is was it actually at coordinates that were posted for a geocache? And does it fit the description as well as you can tell (e.g. it's not a micro when the size should be "medium", it's not out in the open when the difficulty is a 5, etc.)? If both of those are yes's, then it would at least be worth checking out. I would try to extract the paper since that would be the log - just make sure you're as careful as possible, especially with very small or not-so-well-maintained logs (I'm very new myself but I've already seen a few that absolutely needed to be handled delicately).

The fact that you describe it as a plastic bag makes me hesitate to say that it's probably the cache, because I can't imagine someone putting out a cache that's a plastic bag, but I could also be misunderstanding your description.

In general, anything that's done in good faith isn't going to get anyone coming after you with pitchforks. You sound like you're trying very hard to do it right and be respectful, so as long as you keep that up I don't think you'll have any major problems. If it is the cache, and the log is in a poor state, notifying the CO is always a good idea, either in your own log or in a message to them if you're not comfortable doing that for whatever reason. Hope this helps!

Kind of depends on how much time I have to mess with stuff like that. Worst case scenario, I would probably post a Needs Maintenance log type, with an explanation of the situation (minus any revealing spoilers).

Edit to add:

...I can't imagine someone putting out a cache that's a plastic bag...

This is quite common in my area.

Edited by Touchstone

I'd agree with Walts Hunting, add a pair of tweezers to your caching kit, always handy for tiny logs and saves yourself an enormous amount of time with them when they are fiddly.

If you cannot get a log out of its container for whatever reason then a usually accepted practice is to take a photo send that privately to the cache owner via the message centre email facility and log your find. If the owner sees its not right they can then point out the mistake and delete the log so you will have more info for a future attempt. Usually though "photo logs" like this are accepted by a lot of COs and can sometimes help alert them to problems with their cache.

Hey all,

Thanks,

I/O Error

My biggest question - and it might seem a little ridiculous but hear me out - is was it actually at coordinates that were posted for a geocache? And does it fit the description as well as you can tell (e.g. it's not a micro when the size should be "medium", it's not out in the open when the difficulty is a 5, etc.)? If both of those are yes's, then it would at least be worth checking out. I would try to extract the paper since that would be the log - just make sure you're as careful as possible, especially with very small or not-so-well-maintained logs (I'm very new myself but I've already seen a few that absolutely needed to be handled delicately).

The fact that you describe it as a plastic bag makes me hesitate to say that it's probably the cache, because I can't imagine someone putting out a cache that's a plastic bag, but I could also be misunderstanding your description.

In general, anything that's done in good faith isn't going to get anyone coming after you with pitchforks. You sound like you're trying very hard to do it right and be respectful, so as long as you keep that up I don't think you'll have any major problems. If it is the cache, and the log is in a poor state, notifying the CO is always a good idea, either in your own log or in a message to them if you're not comfortable doing that for whatever reason. Hope this helps!

It's defiantly a small clear plastic Ziploc bag (probably to keep it dry) that contains a folded piece of paper at the exact coordinates, and it is definitely hidden in a location that conforms to other locations where I have found caches.

I/O Error

Personally, I would NOT log it.

You didn't retrieve and sign the log - the ONLY two requirements for claiming a 'find'. By filing a 'Found' log, you'd be saying that you successfully completed the job, and you didn't.

I'd file two logs: a "Did Not Find (DNF)" for me and a "Needs Maintenance" for the Cache Owner, and put the cache on my Watchlist so I'd get email notification of the Owner's "Maintenance" log when he or she fixes it, then go back and get it.

That's what I'D do. You decide how YOU want to play.

(Thanks, Harry (next post down). I edited to add the 'DNF' log.)

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

Just an update. I went back with tweezers and still couldn't get it. I then messaged the CO with the information being very specific on the location. I didn't bring up the logging question at all. They responded that I had found the cache, that it is where it is supposed to be, they said they would stop by this weekend to check it out just in case it was messed up somehow. They didn't invite me to log it as found, so as it stands, it is found, and unlogged as either a find or a DNF. I'll just keep banging my head against it till I get the grab and sign it.

Edited by IOError

I agree with TeamRabbitRun. You did not sign the log. That's a DNF.

Normally, I agree with this, but with very rare exceptions. Last weekend I found a cache--a Lock&Lock box--that was solidly frozen into place. I was able to open two of the latches, but the other two were frozen shut. I could have tried real hard to open at least another latch, but was afraid I'd break it, so I just took the find without signing the log. If it were a cache that I was pretty sure I could return to in better weather, I'd have just come back in a few months, but I'm not sure I'll be back in that town any time soon. If it were my cache, I'd rather someone log the Find as I did and not break the box, forcing me to buy a new one.

I agree with TeamRabbitRun. You did not sign the log. That's a DNF.

Normally, I agree with this, but with very rare exceptions. Last weekend I found a cache--a Lock&Lock box--that was solidly frozen into place. I was able to open two of the latches, but the other two were frozen shut. I could have tried real hard to open at least another latch, but was afraid I'd break it, so I just took the find without signing the log. If it were a cache that I was pretty sure I could return to in better weather, I'd have just come back in a few months, but I'm not sure I'll be back in that town any time soon. If it were my cache, I'd rather someone log the Find as I did and not break the box, forcing me to buy a new one.

Sounds like a reasonable exception, as long as there's little chance of being able to go back.

I think I did that up in Maine once with a note to the CO (and maybe in the log) stating that I'd be happy to delete my "Found It" if the CO disagreed. After all, I was playing with his or her game-piece that day!

Edited by TeamRabbitRun