Individual countries

Fauvic

Need to plan which Caribbean cruise to take!

If you're wondering whether there will be any caches to find, it really won't matter where you go. Of all of the countries recognized by the website, the only ones without any caches are:

• Bouvet Island (uninhabited, glacier-covered Antarctic island)
  • Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Indian Ocean archipelago, Australia territory, population ~600)
  • Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands (uninhabited, glacier-covered Antarctic islands)
  • Tokelau (South Pacific archipelago, New Zealand territory, population ~1400)

Certainly any destination in the Caribbean will have caches, though many are probably "vacation" caches and may not be receiving any maintenance.

Would you believe it? India has a massive 233 geocaches that I haven't found yet.

I have found 1.2% of all the caches in India.

I have found 8.6% of all the caches in Ethiopia. When I found the first one the percentage was 25%. At one point I had found 100% of the caches in Vatican City/State.

I'd be interested to see the cache growth numbers in some countries. It didn't seem that long ago when India only had a very small number and the number of caches in China has grown a lot in the last 3-4 years.

At one point I had found 100% of the caches in Vatican City/State.

Me too!

Granted, there were only two caches at the time, but it was still neat to be able to say I had found all of the caches in an entire sovereign nation state! :laughing:

I wonder if it's same two that I found. There are now 7 caches with *published* coordinates in Vatican City/State. Only one is a traditional and it's outside the walls. The rest are puzzle caches and one Earthcache. I've solved most of the puzzle caches and I suspect they're all outside the walls.

Me too!

Granted, there were only two caches at the time, but it was still neat to be able to say I had found all of the caches in an entire sovereign nation state! :laughing:

I wonder if it's same two that I found. There are now 7 caches with *published* coordinates in Vatican City/State. Only one is a traditional and it's outside the walls. The rest are puzzle caches and one Earthcache. I've solved most of the puzzle caches and I suspect they're all outside the walls.

I'm going to guess it was these two, which for a while were the only two "in" the Vatican:

GCY25A

GCRDV0

And yes, for a while I too was batting a thousand with the Vatican. :anibad:

Me too!

I'm going to guess it was these two, which for a while were the only two "in" the Vatican:

GCY25A

GCRDV0

Yes, those were the two that I found as well (in March, 2009). At the time there were relatively few caches in Rome. I've been back several times since (I do quite a bit of collaborative work with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN, which has it's HQ in Rome) and it's grown significantly. With all its history it's a wonderful city for geocaching.

Me too!

GCY25A

GCRDV0

Yes, those were the two that I found as well (in March, 2009). At the time there were relatively few caches in Rome. I've been back several times since (I do quite a bit of collaborative work with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN, which has it's HQ in Rome) and it's grown significantly. With all its history it's a wonderful city for geocaching.

Yep, those are the ones I found in 2010. They were on the outside of the wall, but I guess because the wall has a slight angle inward, the caches were within the border. I ran into some German cachers at one of them. We were stealthily trying to outwait each other!

Me too!

GCY25A

GCRDV0

Yep, those are the ones I found in 2010. They were on the outside of the wall, but I guess because the wall has a slight angle inward, the caches were within the border. I ran into some German cachers at one of them. We were stealthily trying to outwait each other!

I suspect that the border might extend beyond the wall, possible out to the street.

I ran into a couple of German cachers while trying to find a way to get to a cache on Tiber Island (Isola Tiberina). There is a path all around the island but the stairs going down to it were closed. I went up to a fence to look down to see if I could find away and a guy turned around with a GPS in his hand. We went off together to try and find an alternate way to get to GZ, chatting about geocaching a bit, exchanged some trackable items, then went our separate ways. I was back in Rome two years later and was able to eventually find that cache. It's since been archived but there is now another traditional and an earth cache on the island as well as a Wherigo that starts on the bridge just upriver. One of the bridges connecting the island to the mainland is the Ponte Fabricio, the oldest Roman bridge in it's original state. It was built in 62 BC.