Which GPS model is right for me?

321izzy321

I am quite new to geocaching and would like a GPS. I think that I have decided to get a Garmin Etrex model. I am not sure I need any sophisicated features but wanted your opinion on which would be the best option and the best value for money (I have a very limited budget and would like to keep the cost as low as possible):

1) Etrex 10 at £70 (I think that I have pretty much discounted this one though) ($100)

2) Etrex 20 at £130 ($185)

3) Etrex 30 at £140 ($200)

4) Etrex 30x at £160 ($230)

I don't know if there is any reason to avoid older models, or any real reason (except features like Altimeter which I probably won't need) to get one model over another.

Any other fairly low cost options would be appreciated.

The eTrex 10 is extremely basic. It's good if you want to buy a few to teach orienteering classes with, but for personal use, I'm confident you'll outgrow it very quickly.

The eTrex 20 / 20x is much nicer with its color mapping screen and ability to expand memory with a micro SD card.

The eTrex 30 / 30x is pretty much the same as the 20 / 20x with the addition of the 3-axis compass and barometric altimeter. Ask yourself if you feel you need (or rather want) the compass, which gives you the ability to orient your direction on the GPS while standing still. With the 20 / 20x, you have to be moving to know your direction. Many people get along just fine without the compass and altimeter, while others enjoy having this feature. So decide which you prefer and make your decision from there.

Since you have not included your location in your profile, nor found any caches yet, it's impossible to know where you might be caching. Even in "£" country, there's a wide variety of terrain. The 3-axis compass becomes much more important in difficult terrain. If you're a flatlander who won't spend much time in the woods, while you'd find some benefit in having it at times, it would be less important. Not knowing your use model, it's hard to make a recommendation either way.

No reason to avoid older (a couple or three years) models if they're in good condition. I still haven't found enough motivation from the newer models to put down my Oregon 450s.

Since you have not included your location in your profile, nor found any caches yet, it's impossible to know where you might be caching. Even in "£" country, there's a wide variety of terrain. The 3-axis compass becomes much more important in difficult terrain. If you're a flatlander who won't spend much time in the woods, while you'd find some benefit in having it at times, it would be less important. Not knowing your use model, it's hard to make a recommendation either way.

No reason to avoid older (a couple or three years) models if they're in good condition. I still haven't found enough motivation from the newer models to put down my Oregon 450s.

I used to find caches years ago with my dad, but I want to take it up myself now. I live in the UK, spending half my time in London and half in a rural english town (Rural caches will probably mainly be woods/forests and parkland though). I have seen brand new models of all the models above, just wanted to make sure that there weren't going to be firmware issues with older models etc.

To the contrary, older models tend to have more stable firmware. I can't recall the last time I had a booboo with my 450. It's usually the more recent Garmin units that are still undergoing lots of revisions. They seem to allow their user base to be their beta testers. Well, not really, but they do release product with a pretty large outstanding bug list. Marketing always wins over engineering.

If you will be in dense areas where free movement might not always be easy, do consider a unit with the magnetic compass. It allows you to stand in one place, eyeball the unit, eyeball the surrounding area, and make decisions about your path without having to stay on the move so much.

You might keep an eye out for sales -- over the holidays the GPSMAP 64s was going for $179 (USD). Definitely a great value, and with a faster processor than the eTrex line. If Garmin brings out a new GPSMAP unit this year, there should be some pretty good sales again. Seems like they issue an updated model about every 2 years.

The above advice to think about getting a GPS with a magnetic compass if caching in dense or wooded areas is right-on. Sure beats stumbling through poison oak/ivy and blackberry bushes trying to get a reading. Of course, you could just carry a $15 good-quality magnetic compass with you, but what fun is that? :D

The best thing to do is to find an outdoors store that carries GPS units and try a few in person. You'll pretty quickly figure out if you like the ergonomics & menus of one style (click stick, buttons, touch screen) over another.

To the contrary, older models tend to have more stable firmware. I can't recall the last time I had a booboo with my 450. It's usually the more recent Garmin units that are still undergoing lots of revisions. They seem to allow their user base to be their beta testers. Well, not really, but they do release product with a pretty large outstanding bug list. Marketing always wins over engineering.

If you will be in dense areas where free movement might not always be easy, do consider a unit with the magnetic compass. It allows you to stand in one place, eyeball the unit, eyeball the surrounding area, and make decisions about your path without having to stay on the move so much.

Well stated regarding the compass....got my first and best 3 axis on the Meridian Platinum in 2003 followed by the 450, 62S, and now 64S ( my 60 CSx has the 2 axis ).....it may be my favorite feature.

You might keep an eye out for sales -- over the holidays the GPSMAP 64s was going for $179 (USD). Definitely a great value, and with a faster processor than the eTrex line. If Garmin brings out a new GPSMAP unit this year, there should be some pretty good sales again. Seems like they issue an updated model about every 2 years.

The above advice to think about getting a GPS with a magnetic compass if caching in dense or wooded areas is right-on. Sure beats stumbling through poison oak/ivy and blackberry bushes trying to get a reading. Of course, you could just carry a $15 good-quality magnetic compass with you, but what fun is that? :D

The best thing to do is to find an outdoors store that carries GPS units and try a few in person. You'll pretty quickly figure out if you like the ergonomics & menus of one style (click stick, buttons, touch screen) over another.

I got the 64S ( because of your heads-up ) for $179....I recommend the OP wait and get one on sale.