BM covered in heavy paint.

The Vault Dweller

I wanted to share an experience I had yesterday. I believe I found HS2537 yesterday but I did not claim it because I can't read the stamping. The BM has been covered in a very heavy layer of paint that made reading the lettering impossible. I could barely make out the circle of of the disk but it is there. Since I can't read it my personal code (and I believe the rules) say you can't claim a recovery.

Do you folks agree? I didn't have anything to remove the paint but even if I had some goof-off I would not have done so for various reasons. Not wanting to get hit by a car, removing paint is probably a violation of some law, it looks suspicious, etc.

Here is a link to the specific BM:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=HS2537

I wanted to share an experience I had yesterday. I believe I found HS2537 yesterday but I did not claim it because I can't read the stamping. The BM has been covered in a very heavy layer of paint that made reading the lettering impossible. I could barely make out the circle of of the disk but it is there. Since I can't read it my personal code (and I believe the rules) say you can't claim a recovery.

Do you folks agree? I didn't have anything to remove the paint but even if I had some goof-off I would not have done so for various reasons. Not wanting to get hit by a car, removing paint is probably a violation of some law, it looks suspicious, etc.

Here is a link to the specific BM:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=HS2537

Would it happen to be orange paint?

I think I would report it as Not Found, but I don't blame you for writing a note instead.

If it was a mark where I could return without too much trouble, I would ask for guidance from the NGS Geodetic Advisor for my state/region. Or someone in the state Department of Transportation who would know about the legal issues with survey marks.

T.D.M.22,

No, its not the orange spray paint for marking things. I believe it is the same yellow paint they use for the centerline of the roadway.

msrubble,

I felt more comfortable writing a note since I did find "a benchmark" but cant confirm it is "the benchmark". As far as I can tell there have been no visits or resets for any BM's nearby. I like your suggestion; maybe I'll call the Santa Clara County roads depts and ask what they think.

Thanks to both for responding!

- TPJ

I've removed paint from disks. If the paint flakes off like Harry's picture, then it's no big deal. Just be careful not to scratch or abrade the metal - a plastic scraper is safer than metal. I'd have started by cutting around the edge of the disk with a knife instead of digging into the center, but whatever works.

The paint in your picture looks too fresh to peel unless there are layers under it, but you could try. I've used a nasty organic (non-corrosive) solvent for some disks. Carburetor cleaner or non-corrosive paint stripper, cover for a few minutes to soak, rub off, repeat several times.

Your environment may be different than mine, so don't exceed your comfort level.

Around here, I wouldn't worry that it would be illegal. You're not going to harm the disk, and it shouldn't have been painted in the first place. Unless it turns into a big ugly mess with streaks running down the wall, it shouldn't be mistaken for vandalism. I think I could explain it to law enforcement if they happen by. This one looks to be out in open country, so you should attract little attention.

Edited by Bill93

I should have gotten an area shot but neglected too. Here is a link to HS2535 which shows another cattleguard and sidewall where another BM should be. As you can see it is heavily painted over and as someone noted looks pretty fresh. On this particular BM I claimed DNF cause I can't even see a hint of a disc.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=HS2535

Edited by The Vault Dweller