There should be a subforum for advertisements/products

Jozii

I know there's a policy against posts promoting something, which is fair enough :) But I can imagine there are a lot of people out there who would like to announce stuff - from geocaching books to podcasts to magazines to blogs to opening of stores/shops, and more.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a subforum for that? I'm guessing there are at least some people who would like to keep an eye on such a forum to discover new stuff that might interest them :)

I know there's a policy against posts promoting something, which is fair enough :) But I can imagine there are a lot of people out there who would like to announce stuff - from geocaching books to podcasts to magazines to blogs to opening of stores/shops, and more.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a subforum for that? I'm guessing there are at least some people who would like to keep an eye on such a forum to discover new stuff that might interest them :)

If you want to advertise something, contact Groundspeak to purchase advertising space from them. This is a for profit, private business and there is no reason they should even consider offering free space to a commercial endeavor. BTW, if you know there is such a policy, why do you post your advertisement?

If you want to advertise something, contact Groundspeak to purchase advertising space from them. This is a for profit, private business and there is no reason they should even consider offering free space to a commercial endeavor. BTW, if you know there is such a policy, why do you post your advertisement?

Is this thread an advertisement? No. I'm saying I know I can't, but that I would be interested in a place where people could. And as someone said above, that way those who don't want to see it can also avoid it. Win-win.

Good point about banner ads though, I guess that's a strong factor for Groundspeak not to want a forum for it. On the other hand, I doubt a subforum would seriously make a difference in terms of paid ads. Serious businesses still would want to (and have to, if they want to attract more than a few customers) pay for banners were a lot of people will actually see them :)

Is this thread an advertisement?

You know that is not what I was referring to. I was asking why you posted your advertisement that the moderator removed if you knew there is a policy against commercial postings.

Is this thread an advertisement?

You know that is not what I was referring to. I was asking why you posted your advertisement that the moderator removed if you knew there is a policy against commercial postings.

I didn't. I posted, it was removed, no hard feelings because the policy makes sense. Then I posted this thread as a suggestion AFTER I learned about it :)