Frustrated with GPS devices

GBandBob

I've gone through a couple of GPS units over my days of geocaching thus far, and they all seem to have one of two problems.

1) The direction marker (ie, the 'You are Here' arrow) sticks to the roads.

2) The destination marker gets eaten once the GPS decides I'm 'close enough'

In both cases, this makes driving out to the caches fine, but makes it more difficult than it needs to be to actually locate the GZ.

Can anyone recommend to me a GPS device that doesn't do either of these things, hopefully with a soft blow to my wallet? Please note that I do not have a smart phone.

Many GPS receivers have a setting for driving mode vs. hiking mode. The setting forces the unit to stick to the nearest road. Make sure that setting for tracking to the road is not enabled.

If you let us know exactly what GPS brand and model you're using, someone can provide more precise instructions on that setting.

I've gone through a couple of GPS units over my days of geocaching thus far, and they all seem to have one of two problems.

In both cases, this makes driving out to the caches fine, but makes it more difficult than it needs to be to actually locate the GZ.

Can anyone recommend to me a GPS device that doesn't do either of these things, hopefully with a soft blow to my wallet? Please note that I do not have a smart phone.

It's not the device, it is how you use it. Sorry, but you have to figure out how to switch from "Navigate me to" to "Geocaching-Mode".

It is not unusual when starting out like you are to be frustrated but the problems seem to be generated by not knowing how to setup up your unit. If you give us the unit you have I am sure the proper settings can be reached. You also might look in Wikispaces for the Garmin pages if you have one. They are very helpful.

Are you doing this with a car GPSr? Nuvi or something? Let it guide you to the cache area, and then as mentioned, upon arrival, select off-road navigation. These things perform that function in various ways, some better than others. In many cases, you can get the icon to show in the correct place, and walk to that icon. I had a Nuvi where I just watched the GPS coordinates count down (that was a chore!). Pretty bare-bones. You usually still need the cache description, and when I was using a Nuvi only, I brought printed pages (especially satellite maps), or loaded cache info on an old Palm PDA. There are a lot of things that make a car nav less than perfect for Geocaching, such as it can be tough to delete the cache data later, it doesn't have a lot of memory for new data, and although it accepts a Pocket Query, it only shows a little info. And once someone suggests a car nav that works, tomorrow they don't even make that one anymore. :anicute:

If you're hunting caches at street-side guard rails, a car GPSr is OK. If you're hiking into the woods, not so much. You will see used handheld hiking GPSrs pretty cheap, and when new models come out, sales on brand new older models. Those have a compass screen with pointer and distance, and are well-suited to Geocaching. The GPS threads are a starting point for selecting the handheld GPSr ideal for you.

Edited by kunarion

We still can't tell what you've got. Garmin makes units with features appropriate to automotive use that aren't as useful when geocaching. From your description, it SOUNDS as though you are either using an automotive unit, or incorrectly using a handheld unit in automotive mode. One or the other must be true in order for your destination to be removed upon arrival.

Please advise WHICH Garmin unit you own. If a handheld, we can assist you in configuring it for much better performance for your purpose.

Okay, well I managed to find a workaround, though I don't think this is something intentional. If I don't set it as an active destination, but just let it sit on the map, then it doesn't get eaten. Thanks for everyone's help anyway. I'll be sure to be a little more scrutinizing when I get the next one.

GigaBowser, even some GPS models that are great for geocaching don't seem that way out of the box. Auto GPS units are set up for navigating roads. Handheld models are usually not set up ahead of time for one thing in particular, because someone might want it mostly for fishing, or driving, or geocaching.

Probably changing a setting or two will get your GPS to stop "eating" destinations. But Garmin makes several different kinds of GPS. So to suggest a way to fix the problem, it would help a lot to know what kind it is.

Just got a Magellan Explorist from a friend. I am going to have to look up instructions online for basic use, but was wondering if anyone knows if its any good for geocaching. It looks pretty basic

Which model?

http://www.magellangps.com/products/eXploristSeries

Perhaps it's this one? http://www.magellangps.com/Store/eXploristSeries/eXplorist-GC

eXplorist GC North America

Handheld GPS Device Exclusively for Geocaching

Seamless connection to geocaching.com

Free 30 day premium membership to Geocaching.com

Pre-Loaded with the Most Popular Geocaches in the World

Complete paperless geocaching

Owner manual:

http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/Magellan_eXploristGC_UserHandbook.pdf

B.

Just got a Magellan Explorist from a friend. I am going to have to look up instructions online for basic use, but was wondering if anyone knows if its any good for geocaching. It looks pretty basic
I've been happy with my eXplorist 310, but I do most of my geocaching with my phone, just because it's so much more convenient to download cache data and to upload field notes.

Explorist 100. I found the basic instructions online, but I am not a techy person so its going to take awhile and playing with it to figure it all out. It sounds like it will do the badic things I need from it, coordinates, marking and keeping specific places, etc. Pretty basic, but free so I'm not complaining, just scratching my head at some features

Also, what is a good but free app if this used gps decides to die on me? I have an android phone and a tablet that downloads some apps
I've been happy with CacheSense, but it isn't free. There's a free demo though, so you can try it out before you pay for the unlocked one.

There's more info in this thread that I started about a year ago:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=329590

When I first started using a gps it was kind of frustrating. The slight pause for a response from the unit when moving, having to be moving for it to display properly, allowing time for it to find and keep track of itself. Taking a quick single reading to do a hide and not realizing that an average was what what I needed.

But after a few hours of use, I wondered what all of the fuss was about and everything comes in stride. (Kinda like GSAK) Give me a gps over a cell phone every time.

Cache Happy

I had issues with my Garmin Montana updating distances slowly as I walked. I usually navigate using the map, but that only counts in tenths of a mile until one is within 528 feet. On a whim, I calibrated the compass, and suddenly the feet started counting down meticulously. So if you haven't calibrated the electronic compass on the GPSr, do so, it might help make a difference.

I had issues with my Garmin Montana updating distances slowly as I walked. I usually navigate using the map, but that only counts in tenths of a mile until one is within 528 feet. On a whim, I calibrated the compass, and suddenly the feet started counting down meticulously. So if you haven't calibrated the electronic compass on the GPSr, do so, it might help make a difference.

It is a good idea to recalibrate the compass everytime you change batteries. Since my Montana doesnt have them i just do it a couple of times a month.

It is a good idea to recalibrate the compass everytime you change batteries. Since my Montana doesnt have them i just do it a couple of times a month.

I don't ever change the Montana's rechargeable battery. But I will recalibrate the compass more frequently from now on anyway. Especially since there is no more "bee dance" required, you can calibrate it just standing there holding it in your hand and rotating it along the three axes.

Edited by hzoi