How do you feel about micros?

Klause Von Kuhn

Most cachers say that they love the thrill of the hunt, rather than what's inside the cache. So why is it that alot of people are against micros. Is it the difficulty in finding them or what? Believe me, it takes just as long to hide one of those as it does a traditional cache. You still have to scout out a great location (I prefer in the woods or in a river), and it's more time consuming placing the cache in it's actual hiding spot, that is depending on the terrain and difficulty. So could someone tell me why so many people seem to be afraid of these things.

I haven't found a micro cache yet, but at this point I wouldn't not plan to find a cache because its a micro. Perhaps my feelings will change after i find one! I like the hunt for the cache and the feeling of accomplishment i get when i'm on my way back to the jeep after signing the log book more than the actual cache itself.

True-North icon_wink.gif

I worry about the coordinates not being good. I don't mind a tough trip to the cache, but I want to know that I have a decent chance to find the cache. Most caches are put out in order to be found, but I get the impression that some micros are put out in order to skunk the seeker, and an indifference to good coordinates would be part of that. Before I seek a micro, I read the logs to gain an impression if the cache is meant to be found or if the hider was really interested in making themselves fell superior by skunking others.

I'm not a fan of micros. Tearing up an area to find a cache is not my idea of fun. I like getting to a place that I might never have been without caching.

I tend not to do much more than look for something out of place or a good hiding place. Because of this I have quite a few no-finds. If I have to move every rock or brush away lots of leaves to find a cache I'm going to do more damage than I'm comfortable with.

I also agree with JonBoy. There are some Micros that are there just trying to not be found

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Micros in the woods are not my favorite but an urban micro is fun.

I agree.

Personally, my favorite caches are the 4+ terrain, with a 1-2 difficulty. I dont mind working like hell to get to the cache, but once I get there, I wanna find that sucker!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

I agree. But perhaps that's because the only micro in the woods I've looked for I couldn't find. I think a micro should only be used because you can't use something bigger. And I actually found an ammo box in urban Chicago!

I agree with jonboy that some of the more difficult microcaches have been placed with the intent of skunking potential finders ... and I think the owners of such caches make that pretty clear. So if that's not someone's 'cup of tea,' they would be wise not to attempt them.

I also agree that cache placements (regular or micro) where a normal search for the cache would cause damage to that location are undesirable. But is this necessarily the fault of a reckless cache placer, or has the damage actually been caused by careless, thoughtless cache seekers?

I learned from reading the forum threads asking people "how much time they are willing to devote to a search" that the nominal time frame was 30 minutes to one hour ... about the amount of time the ratings guide suggests for a two star cache.

Such people, in my opinion, have no business attempting higher difficulty (again, regular or micro) caches, and in their haste are apt to act thoughtlessly. People should refrain from attempting to do caches if they are unable, or unwilling, to budget the amount of time the rating indicates.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I don't care for them, but I guess in some urban areas or heavily used parks, they are necessary.

I have done many micros; many are just as good, or better, and just as well-thought-out, or better, than full-size ammo box caches ... they just don't reward the finder with a selection of bootynuggets. To me, that is not a non-issue.

I'm not trying to argue against anyone's preference in caches; I agree that people should do only the types they enjoy. (Except I don't agree that locationless caches are real caches ... I feel they should have a separate count, like benchmarks. But that's a different topic.)

The purpose of this note is to merely point out that no cache is "necessary." Every cache/cache placement consists of many options to be decided by the owner/placer of the cache. And if we happen not to agree with that owner's choices, then so be it. Don't look for it, don't look for future similar caches by that individual, but don't complain about it. (An exception would be caches placed illegally.)

I've read many threads complaining how Player 1 placed a micro in an area where Player 2 thought a 2' x 1' ammo box could have been placed. My response would be "Too bad you didn't place a cache there first, Player 2. Better luck next time."

We like Micros if they are well placed and the coordinates are good. We like the challenge. Not a mind numbing challenge but a teaser. We like physical caches. Although we will do virtuals we do not go out of our way for them. If they are in our path we will do it. Klause, who started this thread, has a great reputation for cache hides in Maryland be it micro or traditional. We can't wait to go looking for yours Klause.

Wags, Russ & Erin

like some others, I prefer the journey and not the destination in seeking out a cache and most micros emphasize the needle/haystack scenario quite a bit. Give me a cache that requires climbing mountains and swimming shark invested seas - but once I get there I want to find it within 30 to 45 minutes.

So micros wont do. My idea of a cache? Good ol' BrianSnat Ammo Box types.

ammocan.gif

vs

canister_m.gif

..but, hey, thats just me. I have no problem with micro hiders. Thats their perogative and people seek them out. Different strokes for different folks.

[This message was edited by The Artful Dodger on January 27, 2003 at 08:03 PM.]

quote:
the purpose of this note is to merely point out that no cache is "necessary."

What I meant by micros being "necessary" in urban areas is that, larger containers are more likely to be accidently discovered. Perhaps, rather than necessary, I should have said "a good idea".

Anyway, I'm with AD on this. I enjoy the journey to the cache site and when I get there, I don't want to spend 2.5 hours looking for the "needle in the haystack". I've found a number of micros and enjoyed some, but I much prefer regular sized caches. There is something to be said for the act of finding and opening the container, anticipating what's inside (even if it turns out to be junk).

It seems that micros are increasing in popularity lately, at least among cache hiders. I think it's because they usually take a lot less thought and preparation than a regular cache and you can sprinkle around a bunch in an afternoon.

Don't get me wrong...I've found interesting and well thought out micros, but by and large they are pretty lame (and don't take this to mean that I won't place lame micros...I try to place caches to fill all niches.)

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 28, 2003 at 05:51 AM.]

quote:

Anyway, I'm with AD on this. I enjoy the journey to the cache site and when I get there, I don't want to spend 2.5 hours looking for the "needle in the haystack".

This quality is apparently not reserved for micro caches ... I seem to remember AD considered the original placement of the (ammo box) cache "Alluvial Material" to be too much of a "needle in the haystack." (Of course, that cache is much easier now; they added clues to the cache description when they replaced the cache.)

It's too bad neither you nor AD got to take a crack at "Combination Rock" before it was plundered, I would have liked to hear your opinions ... that multicache made use of film canisters and ammo boxes. The ammo boxes might not have been the easier elements to find.

quote:

It seems that micros are increasing in popularity lately, at least among cache hiders. I think it's because they usually take a lot less thought and preparation than a regular cache and you can sprinkle around a bunch in an afternoon. Don't get me wrong.

I think you have got it wrong. I think micros are increasing in popularity because after folks have found a few caches, they loose interest in trading items they don't really need or want but still enjoy the search.

Or perhaps people are sick and tired of reading the endless stream of rhetoric about how ammo boxes are the only "acceptible" type of cache containers.

I'll conclude by reminding you that a micro cache rated a 3 star difficulty should potentially take no longer to find than a similarly rated "regular" or "large" cache.

Lovers of micros can rejoice. I have received a shipment of earth magnets and purchased some tiny containers. Inspired by the caches that Abzug & Hayduk have been sprinkling around upstate NY and parts of VT, I'll be starting a similar series in NJ. Look for one of my new micros on the back of a stop sign near you.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

This quality is apparently not reserved for micro caches ... I seem to remember AD considered the original placement of the (ammo box) cache "Alluvial Material" to be too much of a "needle in the haystack." (Of course, that cache is much easier now; they added clues to the cache description when they replaced the cache.)

Yep! Alluvial Material was my nemesis cache - still a newbie cacher back then (probably still a newbie seeker now!) I still get a tad embarrassed at my tirade log at not being able to find it! icon_rolleyes.gif

WARNING: The post above this is dated Jan 27 2003.

I was looking for something else and accidentally turned this thread up. It's often kind of fun to see a thread that is several years old. See the names that we have not seen in many moons... See names that are still fresh... See people that continue to be fresh...

Lovers of micros can rejoice. I have received a shipment of earth magnets and purchased some tiny containers. Inspired by the caches that Abzug & Hayduk have been sprinkling around upstate NY and parts of VT, I'll be starting a similar series in NJ. Look for one of my new micros on the back of a stop sign near you.

Note that I soon realized that this was a really stupid idea and cut it out, but unfortunately not soon enough.

I guess we're the set of freaks that prefer to hunt a 5 star difficulty with a 2 star terrain.

As for Micros, we really love them. Some of our favorites are Minute, Harrisville Gas, Joe Blow, Your are the GPS, Pay that Toll and of course, our; In an Old Stone. icon_smile.gif

YIKES :ph34r:

And likewise to Brian's comments, my heart has chilled to micros.

Those caches listed above, but since then the overabundance of lame, repeat, rip-off, and non-original micros and nanos that have infested some areas have turned me off to most micros. :wub:

The first time I found a hide a key on a guard rail, a film cache under a lamp post skirt, or a fake bolt it though it was interesting. Now it's just mundane. So why is it I can find a small lock-and-lock or ammo box in a hollow of a fallen tree a hundred times and note be bored with that?

It's funny how things change.

On the nostalgic note, it's cool to see the names of some of the first wave and second wave of cachers in the above thread.

Note that I soon realized that this was a really stupid idea and cut it out, but unfortunately not soon enough.

No need to cut it, it does make a point.

Yes there is a place for micros in the game, at many locations a traditional cache wouldn't last long at all. At others, the presence of a larger cache would detract from the location or interfere with activities. We have several cleverly done micros in a nearby park that caused laughter when we found them. Micro only refers to the size, not the experience!

But, when the game gets to the point where every street corner has another micro on the back of a stop sign, every guardrail has a magnetic container of it's own, we have reached oversaturation. Use a micro if that is all that will work in the location, but be sure the location has a reason. Thanks for reading.

(<<<<Leaves two cents on the counter and returns to his coffee cup)

So often we see complaints about micros so here is a list of what in my opinion makes a good micro.

Perfect coordinates to help eliminate "needle in the haystack" searches.

Placed in a spot that minimizes muggle contact.

Waterproof container

Placed in spots that have a reasonable number of hiding places as opposed to hundreds or thousands of little niches that must be eliminated one by one.

A place I want to be.

Relatively litter free area.

These same conditions apply for me to regular sized caches, so I guess my conclusion is that micros are OK if they are given the same planning and thought as a regular cache. My question is, why do so many people that hide really fun and interesting regular sized caches hide so many micros that are so ordinary?

It's all about location for me so whether or not the cache is a micro doesn't bother me. However, if the coords are honked up, they can be a real PITA! Also I do not like micros sadistically hidden in a needle-in-the-haystack manner. The game is supposed to be about fun and not torture. :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

So often we see complaints about micros so here is a list of what in my opinion makes a good micro.

Perfect coordinates to help eliminate "needle in the haystack" searches.

Placed in a spot that minimizes muggle contact.

Waterproof container

Placed in spots that have a reasonable number of hiding places as opposed to hundreds or thousands of little niches that must be eliminated one by one.

A place I want to be.

Relatively litter free area.

These same conditions apply for me to regular sized caches, so I guess my conclusion is that micros are OK if they are given the same planning and thought as a regular cache. My question is, why do so many people that hide really fun and interesting regular sized caches hide so many micros that are so ordinary?

All I want out of a micro is for it to bring me to an interesting place AND you can't place a regular cache there due to traffic. I'm finding more and more though, that I can get away with a small cache where I previously would have only onsidered hiding a micro.

I've grown weary of quickly placed, pointless urban micros. In my area, we have a lot of numbers cachers, and therefore a lot of "thrown down" micros. I've found that I enjoy this hobby much, much more if I filter them all out and hunt for caches that are size "small" or larger. The locations they take me to are almost always nicer, and there's less likely to be a muggle issue.

In my last 100 finds, I believe 21 have been micros. That's a change for me, but one that's added new life into a game that was becoming more and more pointless. By removing the tiny scraps of waypointed stationary from my radar I'm better able to focus in on the caches with a meaning, hidden for a reason. They may not always involve a spectacular view or an awesome location, but they are at least *fun*. Urban micro numbers caches aren't high up on my fun meter anymore. Oh sure, I still enjoy caching with friends and I'll hunt whatever they want to hunt, but when I'm on my own urban micros take a back seat to anything of a larger size. I guess the "honeymoon" with me and geocaching is over and if I'm going to last for the long haul I need to focus on what I find enjoyable rather than just anything that comes down the pike.

Edited by DocDiTTo

I agree.

Personally, my favorite caches are the 4+ terrain, with a 1-2 difficulty. I dont mind working like hell to get to the cache, but once I get there, I wanna find that sucker!

I'm happy to say that 4yrs later this is still true.

Edited by Mopar

Very interesting reading the old thread. At first I didn't realize how old it was, but something seemed awfully fishy because that "L" word wasn't mentioned (lame). The discussion seemed centered on if people liked them or not because they were harder to find. But we all know what has happened in many urban areas since.

I've grown weary of quickly placed, pointless urban micros. In my area, we have a lot of numbers cachers, and therefore a lot of "thrown down" micros. I've found that I enjoy this hobby much, much more if I filter them all out and hunt for caches that are size "small" or larger. The locations they take me to are almost always nicer, and there's less likely to be a muggle issue.

I dunno Doc, do you really have that many admitted "numbers cachers" in your area? In my area, it has become so deeply ingrained into the culture that 30-40% of these geocache things are film canisters or keyholders hidden in such places as parking lots, street corners and newspaper boxes, that (almost) everyone just runs out and finds them. It's as if it's not even perceived as being about the numbers.

But yet when you see someone with under 100 finds typing the prototypical three word find log for a parking lot micro ("Quick grab, TFTC"), how can you argue that it isn't all about the increment of the find count?

I filter them out on a one by one basis as I get the publication notices. There are many great micros that take you to an interesting place, especially where a larger cache can not be placed for various reasons.

I dunno Doc, do you really have that many admitted "numbers cachers" in your area? In my area, it has become so deeply ingrained into the culture that 30-40% of these geocache things are film canisters or keyholders hidden in such places as parking lots, street corners and newspaper boxes, that (almost) everyone just runs out and finds them. It's as if it's not even perceived as being about the numbers.

I think you hit the nail on the head -- it's not percieved as being about the numbers. Caches with no purpose other than to provide a slip of paper to sign have become so common that many people don't even realize that geocaching has so much more to offer. One local cacher proved this point well -- he hid a cache advertised as being lame. It's in a parking lot, the hiding spot is advertised on the cache page, the container is no secret, and he tells us flat out that this cache is in a poor location and has no purpose other than to give someone a smiley face on this web site. It's been out less than a month and has been logged as found 19 times. :blink:GCZWEY

I don't need a scenic mountaintop vista to make it worth my while, but I do need some valid reason to go to a cache location other than just signing the log. For many caches today -- especially urban micros -- the log sheet is all they have to offer. :blink:

I was looking for something else and accidentally turned this thread up. It's often kind of fun to see a thread that is several years old. See the names that we have not seen in many moons... See names that are still fresh... See people that continue to be fresh...

LOL...I was thinking the same thing...so many people I remember from the 2003 posting of this thread!

I think you hit the nail on the head -- it's not percieved as being about the numbers. Caches with no purpose other than to provide a slip of paper to sign have become so common that many people don't even realize that geocaching has so much more to offer. One local cacher proved this point well -- he hid a cache advertised as being lame. It's in a parking lot, the hiding spot is advertised on the cache page, the container is no secret, and he tells us flat out that this cache is in a poor location and has no purpose other than to give someone a smiley face on this web site. It's been out less than a month and has been logged as found 19 times. :lol:GCZWEY

A dead-end street in Harrisburg (or Middletown, whatever), I'm there. :) I really would check that out for the curiosity factor, to see what the cache owner is up to. But the point is made, hide anything, anywhere and there will be no shortage of smiley-seekers parading to it. :lol:

For example. a gang of middle schoolers in my area blanketed their town with micros. Including such classics as a hollowed out game boy cartridge with a log book in a drainage ditch along a busy street corner. Or a micro in a pine tree in the parking lot of a large private business not open to the public. Gleeful smileys are logged on them quite frequently.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Well thanks for bringing it up MissJenn! :lol:

I don't mind micros but believe where a bigger cache is possible it should be placed... that way those of use who still like to sign real log books and trade items can.

In defense of micro, people seem to enjoy them when they are creative or in a nice location. See the logs on a couple of my micro caches. That said, I also know how I was close to boredom while caching in London one day and at least 15 of the 20 or so cache I found that day were the same theme: 35 mm black film cannister with magnets stuck to the back/bottom of a park bench (hence the ability to find 20 caches in less than a day).

Some of my most memorable finds have been micros. Ultimately "to each his/her own" when it comes to what you like or don't.

D&F's Second

Spruce Run Park-n-Hide

Tom, Dick, or Harry

Romeo Y Julieta

Black River Gorge

If the Shoe Doesn't Fit

Some deja vu there!

I enjoy micro's provided at least some thought was involved in their placement. The standard "hide-a-key in the end of the guiderail on the county road pulloff" doesn't really do much for me, but they really don't bother me either. To each his / her own. To me the good ones are brain food. Here in NW Jersey and NE Pennsylvania the evil micro hiders develop a reputation. You learn to think like them......yet they always seem to come up with something different.......thus the cranial exercise. I can think of one in particular in PA that I visited twice with other cachers. The coordinates and clue bring you within 6 feet of the find and I'd have to honestly say I spent more than 3 hours collectively searching for the dang thing. Then comes the moment when you spot it and say "no bleeping way". Just love that moment.

I had the opportunity to meet that PA hider at an event over the summer. We were in a group chatting when someone brought up the local evil micros. A fellow cacher bellowed out "Oh man! I hate those (expletive) micros!" not knowing she was standing next to the hider. Smiles all around. :)

In general we are not to crazy about micros, after all standing in the middle of a wal-mart parking lot rubbing up and down a lamp post is not cool! However in bad climate, or limited time they do fill the void.

But is also getting to the point where someone will post a cache as "it's so small and so well hidden that no one will ever find it" and then not hide anything. Great thing about Geocaching is you always have options.

I guess we're the set of freaks that prefer to hunt a 5 star difficulty with a 2 star terrain.

As for Micros, we really love them. Some of our favorites are Minute, Harrisville Gas, Joe Blow, Your are the GPS, Pay that Toll and of course, our; In an Old Stone. icon_smile.gif

YIKES <_<

And likewise to Brian's comments, my heart has chilled to micros.

Those caches listed above, but since then the overabundance of lame, repeat, rip-off, and non-original micros and nanos that have infested some areas have turned me off to most micros. :yikes:

The first time I found a hide a key on a guard rail, a film cache under a lamp post skirt, or a fake bolt it though it was interesting. Now it's just mundane. So why is it I can find a small lock-and-lock or ammo box in a hollow of a fallen tree a hundred times and note be bored with that?

It's funny how things change.

On the nostalgic note, it's cool to see the names of some of the first wave and second wave of cachers in the above thread.

I don't really care for micros anymore - but then again - I always enjoyed the hike (or climb, or kayak) more than actually hunting for the cache.

I'm just left wondering if I'm first or second wave? >grin<

Lots of interesting posts, here's our take.

Because we often cache with small kids, they like to trade swag. So we don't do micros often.

Micros can be real tough to find in the woods and like Harrald noted, we don't want to tear the area to shreds to find one. When we do go after one, it's either:

1) Something "Ha" feels he can look for himself on lunch break at work

2) An easy find, usually in an unusual site (such as a recent hide that involved a very cute urban "pocket park" with a sundial monument and a "mini-benchmark" that although we've passed by a lot in the past, never noticed before)

On our 7 hides, when we did micros, it was either because:

1) There wasn't a hiding spot big enough for a small-regular cache, but the park was a nice place few people know about that we wanted to introduce cachers too.

2) In one case in a large-ish but somewhat open park in a very urban part of the Bronx, we replaced the small lock n lock with a log-only micro in the hope that it would stop getting muggled (it was plundered once with the container intact and some items scattered, then the 2nd time it was truly stolen).

Not a big fan of micros since it's sometimes a lot of effort for nothing more than a signature, but it has its necessary place in the sport and is great in places like non-park areas of Manhattan that may otherwise be "uncachable".

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I hail from an area where there really are no "urban micros" (Plattsburgh, NY 12901). When I went to visit my family in Washington DC, it was wonderful! My favorite was C8 H10 N4 O2 Dreams or Paperwork Nightmare. Am I the only one who feels that there are a lot of non-micros that, when you arrive it's "ohh, just another ammo can full of odds and ends".

On another note, micros at rest areas or just of the exits of highways are WONDERFUL! You don't feel like jumping into the woods because you are going somewhere, but you want to get out and have a few finds.

I live in a good sized city, and due to a medical problem can't really drive, I take what I can get tho Rochester proper has a shameful number of caches IMHO alot of place here micros would be best. When the snow melts I'm ganna try a water bottle cache - it's big enof for TB's and coins and other smashish toys I have been putting some pennies in it for fun as well.

I hail from an area where there really are no "urban micros" (Plattsburgh, NY 12901). When I went to visit my family in Washington DC, it was wonderful! My favorite was C8 H10 N4 O2 Dreams or Paperwork Nightmare. Am I the only one who feels that there are a lot of non-micros that, when you arrive it's "ohh, just another ammo can full of odds and ends".

On another note, micros at rest areas or just of the exits of highways are WONDERFUL! You don't feel like jumping into the woods because you are going somewhere, but you want to get out and have a few finds.

That one, to me was everything that is wrong with micros. A lamp post hide in the parking lot of a Dunkin' Donuts. Oh boy!

That one, to me was everything that is wrong with micros. A lamp post hide in the parking lot of a Dunkin' Donuts. Oh boy!

I guess something like that would be more appealing to someone from out of town, ha ha.

Well, there goes my theory that SBell111 is lying when he says "some people like them".

Personally, I think that cache needs to be aduped.

Well, there goes my theory that SBell111 is lying when he says "some people like them".

I think it shows that these lamp post skirt hides might seem cool to those who have never found one, but once you found one, you've found them all. I guess Alexhenryj probably never saw one before. I found it in about 10 seconds, but I came back there a few days later with my wife (the date on her log is wrong) to get some coffee and I mentioned the cache in the parking lot. It took her at least a half hour to find with me doing the "colder, warmer, colder" routine after about 20 minutes.

I think it shows that these lamp post skirt hides might seem cool to those who have never found one, but once you found one, you've found them all. I guess Alexhenryj probably never saw one before. I found it in about 10 seconds, but I came back there a few days later with my wife (the date on her log is wrong) to get some coffee and I mentioned the cache in the parking lot. It took her at least a half hour to find with me doing the "colder, warmer, colder" routine after about 20 minutes.

Yes, I was totally trying to be funny, but forgot to put little laughing Signals and stuff in the post. Wait a minute, it's still not funny. :P Very good point though. Yes, I remember my first lampskirt (Interstate rest stop), I didn't even realize it would lift up; there was enough play that I could get the keyholder out. I thought, "gee, the next person will have a hard time". :unsure:

Hopefully, a similiar cache will not be placed in Plattsburgh in the near future. <_<

Are you calling me a country redneck?!?! Well if you are, you wouldn't be wrong! HA :drama: