Garmin 64s - Search by Spelling

Timpat

I can't seem to find my answer. With my old 60cx I recall there was a distance limit for searching a cache. It would only list caches within 2 deg or 112 mi, or something close to this I believe. With my 64s this seems to hold true. I tried to: Find/Geocaches/Menu/Spell Search, and I found a East/West distance limit of about 102 miles which also equals 2 deg of Lon at my location Lat 42.6.

Now, my 62s does Not have this limit by this Spell Search. I was able to go out at least 187 mi and it will list the cache.

Does any one know of documentation for this search distance limit by Spell or Name on the 64s?

I have my answer from Garmin Tech. The 64s is limited to a ~100 mile radius for doing a Spell Search, from the position of the device. This (they tell me) is due to the 64s ability to hold an unlimited(?) number of caches (in GGZ format) that would slow the processing of all that data if the distance was too large or unlimited.

If we want to see loaded caches far away we can use the 'Set Location On Map' option. This will allow the 100 mi search radius from that temp point.

I have my answer from Garmin Tech. The 64s is limited to a ~100 mile radius for doing a Spell Search, from the position of the device. This (they tell me) is due to the 64s ability to hold an unlimited(?) number of caches (in GGZ format) that would slow the processing of all that data if the distance was too large or unlimited.

If we want to see loaded caches far away we can use the 'Set Location On Map' option. This will allow the 100 mi search radius from that temp point.

I find my 64s to be limited to more like 135 miles with the search function. There is another way to search beyond this:

Select 'Find' and then 'Cities". Spell Search a City near your desired search area.

Select 'Find" again and then "Search Near" and select your recently 'found' city.

It will then search a radius around that city.

This can be a lot easier than panning the map to somewhere far away and then searching from there.