How Long Can A Cache Stay Disabled Or Archived?

KayakGZ

Here's the situation: I own a cache placed on an island. I went to check on it, and it was missing/muggled. I disabled the cache in September. I would LIKE to replace the CC next spring, using the same coordinates, and re-enable the cache. It may seem easier just to archive the cache, and hide a new one, but it is located in a state park. The rules have changed for placing caches in CT state parks, and permission is not so easy to obtain. Is there a time limit for disabling caches? Thanks.

Here's the situation: I own a cache placed on an island. I went to check on it, and it was missing/muggled. I disabled the cache in September. I would LIKE to replace the CC next spring, using the same coordinates, and re-enable the cache. It may seem easier just to archive the cache, and hide a new one, but it is located in a state park. The rules have changed for placing caches in CT state parks, and permission is not so easy to obtain. Is there a time limit for disabling caches? Thanks.

Disabling a cache listing is meant to be temporary. How long "temporary" is will probably depend on your Reviewer.

None of your caches are disabled, though. If you intend to put another cache in the same location, it will need to be a new submission, and go through the Review process.

Archived cache listings can not be re-enabled by the cache owner.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

4.23. Unarchiving a Geocache

The archiving of a geocache is intended to be a permanent status. That is why only community volunteer reviewers and Geocaching HQ staff have the capability to unarchive it. This is done only in rare circumstances and only if it meets the current Geocache Listing Guidelines.

If a geocache is archived by a reviewer or staff for lack of maintenance it will not be unarchived.

However, if you accidentally archived it, please contact the reviewer who originally published your geocache (listed at the bottom of the cache page) or another local reviewer. Read here how to find a local reviewer. You will need to provide the geocache name, GC code and the explanation for unarchiving it.

B.

As Pup says, it depends on your Reviewer.

It does help if you can post a note log on the page to update the Reviewer (and fellow cachers)to keep people aware of the situation, and give some idea of when it will be back up and running.

Re Archiving the cache.

IF you Archive it, there is a chance that the Reviewer/Groundspeak may consider it no longer meets the present Guidelines, and they wont unarchive it...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

As Pup says, it depends on your Reviewer.

It does help if you can post a note log on the page to update the Reviewer (and fellow cachers)to keep people aware of the situation, and give some idea of when it will be back up and running.

Re Archiving the cache.

IF you Archive it, there is a chance that the Reviewer/Groundspeak may consider it no longer meets the present Guidelines, and they wont unarchive it...

That's generally the accepted practice in my area as well (bolded). The thing that gets Listings Archived in my area is absent or unresponsive owners. If the cache owner is checking in every once in awhile and giving updates, it's usually fine to Disable a Listing for a few months. Your mileage may vary a bit.

If it's going to be disabled for an extended period, definitely let your volunteer reviewer know (through notes posted to your cache listing).

I had one that was disabled several months. First it was construction, then it was construction delays, then it was redesigning the camouflage because the construction had changed the site in ways I was told would stay the same. If I forgot to post an update every month or two, then the reviewer would remind me (with a standard "I noticed that this cache has been temporarily disabled..." note).

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but I'd say you should archive the cache and create a new one precisely because they changed their rules. Presumably they have good reasons for the rules they've put in place, so it seems disrespectful to try to dodge those rules by stretching for an almost unreasonable grandfather status regardless of whether your reviewer would allow it.

I know of one cache that has been disabled for several years, because the area has been closed due to a fire. Of course, YMMV.

Skye.

There was a cache in my area that was placed in 2001 and disable every winter when the trail it was on was closed for the season. It was in a gorge with stone walls that have frequent rock falls due to ice and snow caving the rock. During a long winter it was sometimes disabled for several months. A few years ago there was an extended amount of trail maintenance done that kept the trail closed for quite a long time and it was eventually archived. There are now three traditional caches (and an earthcache) in that gorge (and, oddly enough, they're all active even though the trail is closed). The local LEO's are pretty strict about going in there when the trail is closed. Here's what it looks like in the summer.

f19013d2-4270-4a2a-909f-a78b3cfa7cc4.jpg

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but I'd say you should archive the cache and create a new one precisely because they changed their rules. Presumably they have good reasons for the rules they've put in place, so it seems disrespectful to try to dodge those rules by stretching for an almost unreasonable grandfather status regardless of whether your reviewer would allow it.

I agree. Good advice.

The only thing a geocacher has is his or her reputation. The right way isn't always the easy way. The level of trust you'll gain from the land owner/manager, reviewer and fellow cachers by doing it the right way is worth the effort.

I agree. Good advice.

The only thing a geocacher has is his or her reputation. The right way isn't always the easy way. The level of trust you'll gain from the land owner/manager, reviewer and fellow cachers by doing it the right way is worth the effort.

It's a moot point anyway, because the OP actually archived their cache in September, not disabled.

5.png KayakGZ archived 2.gif Haddam Island