Looks like a scam

rjb43nh

I just got this message a few minutes ago and it looks like unverified member Norris3116 (member since 1/9/2016)with no finds or hides is sending out this message: "Hey! Check out {removed} if you want to view all the premium caches in your area for FREE!!" I'll let someone else check it out because I'm not going to.

(edit to disable hot link)

Edited by Sapience Trek

I just got this message a few minutes ago and it looks like unverified member Norris3116 (member since 1/9/2016)with no finds or hides is sending out this message: "Hey! Check out {removed} if you want to view all the premium caches in your area for FREE!!" I'll let someone else check it out because I'm not going to.

I'm not opening that link either. :unsure:

Edited by Sapience Trek

I received the same message from Glass4594

Edited by Sapience Trek

This very much looks like a scam email. Look at the underlying emails address and it is nothing to do with geocaching.com although it is made to look real.

I've received the same mail from Santiago439.

I urge extreme caution with messages like this. There is a distinct possibility that clicking on ANY link in the message could download a malware payload to your computer or mobile device.

Just delete the mail and the message in your geocaching.com mailbox.

I've passed this info onto my local moderator to push it up the chain in ground speak.

Looks like the bad guys are now trying to attack our hobby.

(edit to disable hot link)

Edited by Sapience Trek

The staff at Geocaching HQ is aware of today's spam attack, and they're "on it." Hopefully a Lackey will stop by to post an update, but it's best to let them work on the problem now.

[EDIT: It is no longer necessary to report account names. See the update below from a friendly Lackey.] You're welcome to continue posting account names so that they can be banned individually, unless and until a broader solution is found.

Edited by Keystone

Since this is my first instant message and have had no interest in using it I wasn't up on how this works. I find that I have spam with a very suspicious link and I am not allowed to delete it. So I can accidentally click on since it's there if I ever use the instant messaging. Pardon me if this doesn't strike me as absolutely stupid. I can delete emails and do so regularly especially things with dangerous links for simple protection. But you guys -- geocaching -- feel like I need to keep myself exposed to this link so you won't let me delete it. Don't [tell me] about I can hide it -- I don't need to have it around at all. I didn't hide the dead mouse I found in my basement yesterday, I got rid of it. I didn't want it around stinking the place up and I don't want this around to cause potential problems.

How about you just disable my instant messaging if this is the best you can do!

Edited by Keystone
flushed potty language

We received messages today thru Groundspeak messaging feature with same link to get free access to premium caches (did not open this of course) from Nathan5910, Duffy4292, Landin 5215. This is the same format of bogus caching names (name + 4 digits) as the last scam so why is Groundspeak not stopping these already?

Thanks for the early reports on this spammer. We have several engineers working today to resolve this issue. We are actively banning the accounts so there is no longer a need for geocachers to post usernames in this thread anymore.

Geocachers will receive email notifications resulting from these messages for a longer period of time.

We will be discussing ways to prevent this sort of automatic messaging of geocachers.

Now it's time to go outside and find some geocaches!

Now it's time to go outside and find some geocaches!

May I point out, that geocaching is not played in the US only. In other parts of the world it is in the middle of the night.

Funny thing about that, it is always the middle of the night somewhere on this planet.

Back on topic, is there a way to hide a message center message before you open it?