Souvenir for an event on 2/29/16

Well, I guess I'll let all you guys off the hook.

I'm much more curious about where the approximately 15 miles comes from which you apparently seem to use. I have never encountered that number in anything on event stacking, neither in the knowledge book nor in the guidelines. Is this a number which is chosen individually by each reviewer?

I never said I used a distance, but knowing the Forum culture, I knew that would be the next obvious question. If you would like to discuss Event stacking, you might want to start another thread.

I never said I used a distance, but knowing the Forum culture, I knew that would be the next obvious question. If you would like to discuss Event stacking, you might want to start another thread.

I do not want to discuss/start a thread about event stacking. I just was surprised about your statement

I thought it was odd that she submitted an Event that overlaps with a nearby one (~15 miles) without explanation' date=' even though the Guidelines directly address this sort of issue.

[/quote']

I thought that there might be something about event guidelines that I have overlooked so far and that might be good to know for me and many others (without any intention to question the reply). Maybe it's just that 15 miles means not the same in each area.

Edited by cezanne

Whether two events are considered "stacked" due to proximity in time and distance is a highly fact-specific determination. The answer will be different in a rural area (you can drive 15 miles in 20 minutes, making events at 1:00 and 2:00 possibly stacked) versus an urban area (it can take an hour to drive across a metropolitan center with no train system).

Like Nomex said, flexibility is called for when there's a souvenir motivating the need for convenient event caches on a weekday. In my city, I've published two -- one within walking distance of downtown where many geocachers work (like I do) and another in a suburb nine miles away. If you've ever driven in Pittsburgh, nine miles is an eternity.

In my city, I've published two -- one within walking distance of downtown where many geocachers work (like I do) and another in a suburb nine miles away. If you've ever driven in Pittsburgh, nine miles is an eternity.

According to this, it's indeed stacking: "Event Caches should be separated by time, organized by different geocachers, have a minimum duration of 30 minutes and take place at a different location than other events."

In my city, I've published two -- one within walking distance of downtown where many geocachers work (like I do) and another in a suburb nine miles away. If you've ever driven in Pittsburgh, nine miles is an eternity.

According to this, it's indeed stacking: "Event Caches should be separated by time, organized by different geocachers, have a minimum duration of 30 minutes and take place at a different location than other events."

I suspect "published" means published in the role as a reviewer, not as the event organiser, in which case they are probably by different organisers and don't fall foul of that.

Would it be event stacking if there are four events over a three day period at various times with the smallest time frame between caches being 6hours? Would that be seen as event stacking??

From the Guidelines:

Events with several elements, a sequence of events, or events that are near the same time or location and intended for the same audience should be submitted as a single event.

Probably best to ask your Local Reviewer. YMMV.

Did some research on the events on feb 29th

I collected all events for that day and noticed a big increase since the first notification of the souvenir (end of december)

leapdayeventsgraph.jpg

As date for the event I used the date of the publish date of the reviewer.

It is also clear that most events will be held in Europe (currently 876, of which 327 in germany alone)

leapdayeventseurope.jpg

bookmarklist: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=147d36b2-7a07-4229-9c69-5e47b021fdb3

Outside Europe there are only 545 events (of which most in the USA)

leapdayeventsworld.jpg

bookmarklist: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=7da4bc83-d055-4156-ada9-f58afe8749bd

I continued a bit with collection the leap day events.

All events can be found on these bookmarklists:

europe: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=147d36b2-7a07-4229-9c69-5e47b021fdb3 (is getting close to 1000 now, may have to split germany in a seperate list soon :P )

outside europe: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=7da4bc83-d055-4156-ada9-f58afe8749bd

I also created a spreadsheet with some info about all events:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aw2uSBIApuHQtBXjpMczjn-jb1CkL9g4MmdA3j0HDjg/edit?usp=sharing

verloop_20160120.png

The number of events is still increasing. Still more rapidly than before the souvenir anouncement, but last 3-4 days it was 70-80 new events per day before it was around 100 new a day

Most events are in western europe:

eventsmapeurope_20160120.jpg

goed te zien dat west europa flink bedekt is met events

eventsmapwesteurope_20160120.jpg

just playing around a bit...maybe someone can plan a trip using this. Starting in Australia http://coord.info/GC69BYX (6 AM local time => feb 28th 20:00 UTC) for the first leap day event and ending in hawaii for this event (http://coord.info/GC69CBG) which ends 20:00 local time (is march 1 6:00 UTC). Visiting other continents along the way of course for 34 hours of leap day event fun! :P

(all current new zealand events start in the afternoon, so there is still something to win)

Edited by PnavE_81

hi im from chicago area brookfield il. i really wanna go to an event on moday but i work 8-5 and my car cant make it to any the events that are out there. is anyone able to work with me and make a closer event please??? im doing this for my daughter. she loves geocaching been at it 2 weeks. she calls them our secret trasure hunts. if anyone can help please message me.

hi im from chicago area brookfield il. i really wanna go to an event on moday but i work 8-5 and my car cant make it to any the events that are out there. is anyone able to work with me and make a closer event please??? im doing this for my daughter. she loves geocaching been at it 2 weeks. she calls them our secret trasure hunts. if anyone can help please message me.

It's very unlikely that you would get an Event Published at this late date, due to the following portion of the Guidelines:

Events must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event date.

Link for reference:

Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines

As Touchstone noted, if a Leap Day event hasn't been created yet, then it's not going to be created at all.

That leaves only a couple options outside the 8am-5pm timeframe.

If you get an early start to your day, there's a breakfast event in Downers Grove that starts at 6am?

If you get an early start to your day, there's an evening event in Downers Grove from 7:30-8:30pm?

A closer option would be Oak Park, if you can make it there during the lunch hour (12-1pm). GC6BAEB

Seems like it would've been better to have reversed the souvenir requirements/timeframes to be like this instead:

Souvenir 1 -- attend an event on the 27th or 28th or 29th

Souvenir 2 -- find any cache on the 29th

I agree whole heartedly..for people who DO NOT LIVE in a large enough community,like myself. I would have to drive 3 hours to get a souvenir on MONDAY (normally a working day for most people)and that is insane..but who`s counting anyway.

I agree whole heartedly..for people who DO NOT LIVE in a large enough community,like myself. I would have to drive 3 hours to get a souvenir on MONDAY (normally a working day for most people)and that is insane..but who`s counting anyway.

If a souvenir is that important to you, you should have hosted one yourself. I have one just 3.5 Km from home (18 within 50Km) and won't go to any of them...