0.1 mile rule

I'm know of a great place for a hide that will hopefully be part of a very tricky series. However it is less than 0.1 mile away from the nearest existing hide.

However it is at the bottom of a cliff, the nearest hide is at the top, a 15 minute walk away at least. Does that count for anything or are the rules applied rigidly? I guess there are ways around it, but I would like to formulate a plan of attack for what I hope will be a great and in part very difficult series

Thanks

The rule would almost certainly be applied strictly in that situation, the UK reviewers are quite fastidious about it. They might be persuaded to let it go if you were 160m away and also at the bottom of the cliff, but I can't imagine they would if it was significantly closer than 161m.

Your best bet is find out who your local reviewer is (check who published a recent cache in the area), and Email them with your idea before you put any effort into it.

I got away with <0.1 mile across the Thames. Other cache (now archived) near a low bank so a canoeist could get it; mine not. No-one was going to do both caches in less than 10 minutes. So I salute the reviewer's judgement.

Have a Plan B but submit Plan A and see what happens! (I hope the cliff is stable and safe...?)

Gosh, what pessimistic people!

This is a guideline, NOT a rule - and is at the discretion of the reviewer. There are exceptions to this guideline for the exact reason you give, and they are applied as intended.

For example; GC4EMRV - placed at the same time as GC4ENPQ yet only 69 meters apart. How? Because there's an obvious river, the CO explained this at submission (I assume) and the reviewer followed the guidelines. If you can provide the same justification this CO did on submission, I can't see why it would be refused.

Submit the cache so it can be checked (make sure you make that clear in a Reviewer note that you don't want it published yet). Then we can advise you. Cliffs are very subjective. If it was a vertical cliff that only a serious mountaineer could climb it might be OK. But if it's just a really steep slope you could climb up then probably not. But either way we can't give an answer without knowing the location.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Policies Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Submit the cache so it can be checked (make sure you make that clear in a Reviewer note that you don't want it published yet). Then we can advise you. Cliffs are very subjective. If it was a vertical cliff that only a serious mountaineer could climb it might be OK. But if it's just a really steep slope you could climb up then probably not. But either way we can't give an answer without knowing the location.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Policies Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Chris, would this be similar for a cache in the middle of a 1/4 mile long tunnel with another cache 250 to 300 feet away on the surface?

Yes, speak to the reviewer first, then if it can't be published speak to the owner of the existing cache to see if they can move it a bit further away. I did this with one of mine as I had an absolutely fantastic spot for one which just would not work elsewhere The owner kindly moved theirs as it could easily be placed anywhere.