Opinions on multi-cache stage containers

Harrald

In my limited experience I’ve found that most multis use 35mm film containers as beginning stages. With very few exceptions, this almost seems to be the rule.

Since I don’t really enjoy looking for this type of container, I am looking for other options. The multi I’m planning will be in the woods.

Do any of the more experienced cachers have a suggestion? I’m afraid if I use 1 (one) pint soup containers that people will assume the log book is missing and try to log a find on a partial find.

TIA

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

I've used the retired army decon containers for the middle stages of multi caches. They're a good size, highly water resistant and come in olive green so you won't have to worry about camoflaging them. Criminal posted a link fairly recently to a webiste that sells them for a good about a buck each.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

I recently picked up a few plastic matchboxes that I was going to use at my multi. Funny, people seem to like the baby food jar that's there now, so I haven't gotten around to replacing it.

I don't know what it is you dislike about the film cans, but I'd rather they be more visible. I think if I hide my bright orange match boxes properly, they won't be found by accident, but neither will Geocachers have to hunt "the needle in the haystack".

On some of my multi stage caches I have been using copper tags with numbers stamped on them and then screwed to trees or nailed to rocks.

The Tags are about 3x4 inches with 1/2 inch letters with a couple predrilled holes in the edges. I can bend them on site to conform to the shape I need. Usually, I go through the cache stages and get the numbers then go home and stamp out what I need then follow myown numbers back so I know they are right.

Or, I have started to use some of those business size magnet's, print out what I want on them, paste the stage information to the magnet, laminate the whole thing and stick them where needed.

logscaler.

The match vials that etoast mentions are good and inexpensive. They also come in green. The Bisondesigns cylinders at the links below are also a good idea. I've purchased several of the small and large. The small will probably be used for multi cache stages and the large for a log only micros. Check:

http://www.bisondesigns.com/aluminum/keycaddies/largecapsule.htm

http://www.bisondesigns.com/aluminum/keycaddies/capsule.htm

BTW, I recently sanded one of these capsules down, primed it, used a stone fleck paint to make it look like a rock and sprayed it with a light layer of green paint to simulate algae. It will soon become an underwater, log only, micro to be placed at a certain spot near Bennington VT. I've been thinking of ways to place a cache it this spot since I started the sport and now I have it! Now back to the original subject...

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

I have recently found a nice container for doing multi-cache stages, which everyone will be able to see in a new "Spawn" type cache that we will be placing within the next week or two. These capsules are 6 inches long and roughly 1 1/2" in diameter...It's original purpose is for hiding your keys for a boat, but it's interior diameter is slightly over an inch and it's over 3 inches long, plus it has a nice nylon rope on it for hanging it in trees if desired. Since it does have more space than the normal 35mm film cannister, this makes a perfect mini-cache too!!! I found these capsules in some of the $1 stores and the surplus stores, so the price is very reasonable. Hope this gives some people more ideas than the norm...

I plan to plant my first multi this spring, and I'm going to use these:

http://www.mgscientific.com/store/group.asp?GROUP_ID=623

They are completely leakproof, have a screw on cap and you can write on them with a sharpie. They cost only .50 cents a piece, but if you buy them online you have to buy 500 of them. They also are good for transporting shampoo and conditioner on overnight vacations! LOL! I buy them from a friend, but if I ever find a company that sells them in less than 500 quantity, i'll post it if anyone is interested.

True-North icon_cool.gif

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

My Vile Vial cache is in one of these. It does leak if the top is not screwed on firmly.

Maybe some of us can go in on an order of 500?

If we split the order among 20 people, it would be pretty cheap.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

I've used little metal plates with letters stamped in that are screwed onto trees (perhaps glued with RTV if you don't want to damage the tree), stumps, logs, etc. (You decode the letters to coords etc. using a code in the cache listing.) I would also give a code indicating the size of the tree (and whether it's a tree, bush, log etc.) as well as its coords so you know what you're looking for, not just a little plate.

Here's an idea I plan to use. The plates have just 2 letters stamped in (they can be stamped into beer can stock using a nail to prick holes forming the letters). The 2 letters refer to the row and column of a table of coords or whatever that specify the next multi locatation. That table is part of the cache listing. An advantage of this is you can change a coordinate pair later by merely editing the listing and not having to change the plate.

An alternative is for the plate to have a single letter. This newly found letter is used along with the last letter you found to enter the table. (The new one is the column, the last one is the row.) Of course, the cache listing would give the very first letter to use along with the first letter that you actually find, to guide you to your second stage.

The object of all this is to make it easier to find each stage, using the GPS and not a lot of searching for the needle in the haystack at each multi. This way you can have more stages, for more GPS use, for a given amount of time hiking and searching.

quote:
Originally posted by Ce'Nedra:

50 mL conicals

I recently did the multi you spoke of here: at least, I think you meant Earth, Wind, Fire, Water. Right? What happened to the idea of using these lab tubes? I like that idea!

-- I am looking for cache recommendations for Salem, Mass. Got any?

[This message was edited by MissJenn on September 24, 2003 at 05:07 AM.]

I purchased a 10 foot by 2 inch length of PVC pipe at a home improvement store. Cut it into aprox. 6 inch pieces and glue on the appropriate attachments to seal it up, complete of coarse with a screw top. Then I painted it brown to camo it. This can also be cut into longer lengths and used for a traditional cache. Also thers no rule that says all the legs of a multi can't be a full blown cache with a logbook & the usuall goodies. I've done this on a couple of my multi's and people really enjoy the variety of trade items.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

quote:
Originally posted by Ce'Nedra:

http://www.mgscientific.com/store/group.asp?GROUP_ID=623

I recently did the virtual you spoke of here: at least, I think you meant Earth, Wind, Fire, Water. Right? What happened to the idea of using these lab tubes? I like that idea!

I was going to use conicals until the rangers told me i couldn't submerge my caches. So I resorted to something, well, quite natural instead!

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

One area geocacher used 1/2 pint plastic water bottles and placed the coordinates inside so you could read them through the side of the bottle without opening it.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

One area geocacher used 1/2 pint plastic water bottles and placed the coordinates inside so you could read them through the side of the bottle without opening it.

I don't know if you noticed, but I actually LAMINATED the coordinates, then placed them in the bottles for double protection against the elements. I'll be interested to see how they hold up.

Sanitized for your protection and convenience! icon_wink.gif