Transfer Of GeoCoin = All Previous Logs Deleted?

JL_HSTRE

I was rather surprised to get an email notice today that one of my Discovered logs from 2011 had been deleted. Checking on the TB record, it seems the previous TB owner sold or otherwise transferred the geocoin to a new owner. The new owner then proceeded to delete every log ever from that geocoin.

Is that something that happens very often?

I see that Groundspeak has this notice:

"We do not reinstate any logs regarding trackables. As trackables are considered private property, the trackable owner has the right to delete logs on their trackable details page as they see fit."

I'm glad I wasn't working on any Challenges based on trackable discoveries, especially since I think the coin in question is somewhat rare (a Lackey coin).

Not sure about 'how often' logs are deleted, but I would guess it is a regular thing when activated coins are sold or transferred.

I have seen a few sellers who request that all logs REMAIN on the trackable, and others who make no mention at all. Once a trackable is transferred, it is the new owner's to do with as they see fit.

I'm not sure a deleted log changes the records as far as logged totals. If a cache is archived, it still remains as a 'found it'. The only time I'm aware that 'challenges' could be affected is when the difficulty or terrain is changed on a logged cache. Someone who logs more trackables might know if totals are altered when a log is deleted.

I'm not sure a deleted log changes the records as far as logged totals.

If your Found it log on a cache is deleted, you lose find.

If you Discovered/Grabbed/Dropped log on a Trackable is deleted, you lose the associated count.

---

I don't know how often this happens. It's happened enough that there's language in the Help Center about it...that says something

Seems very peculiar to me. It changes nothing about the physical coin, adds no value, doesn't deactivate it.

"We do not reinstate any logs regarding trackables. As trackables are considered private property, the trackable owner has the right to delete logs on their trackable details page as they see fit."

Where did you find this?

Because in the Help Center, I found this:

Help Center - Trackables

4.7. Adopting or Transferring a Trackable

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=249

When a Trackable is adopted, do not delete previous logs unless there is a good reason for it such as obscene or threatening language.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I keep track of my coin discoveries (in GSAK). It happened to me 2 or 3 times that my old logs got deleted by the new trackable owners. Then I re-logged the discovery writing the new owner a PM (in courteous words) that because I have seen the coin earlier my log should stand. :)

It worked, but if it did not I would write the owner about the ruling 4.7 in the guildelines - the one that Pup Patrol cited above.

Where did you find this?

If you attempt to contact Groundspeak about a deleted log this notice is presented.