map questions before buying a GPS

I am new to geocaching and have been researching GPS units. While I feel I have a grasp on the basic needs of a geocacher from their GPS I feel like I am missing something about the maps. Any information clearing up my confusion would be awesome. GPS recommendations would be helpful.

What sort of viewing map do I want? I think shaded relief maps are the way to go, would you agree? Why or why not?

Also, I am confused as to what maps come with the unit. I understand different GPS units will have different map accommodations. What I am unsure of is...will I need to purchase area maps after the GPS is purchased? It seems this small detail isn't really explained when comparing GPS units.

One other questions...refresh rate. I would like a GPS that isn't slow. What can I expect to be a fair/decent refresh rate?

I have come down to two GPS units. Both are Garmin, eTrex30x Worldwide(I think the x denotes some sort of preloaded map) and the GPSMap 62st (again, I think the st means it has preloaded maps).

I had considered the GPSMap 64 but after reading a few reviews I think the 62 would be preferable.

Thanks!

I've used a 62s for quite some time now and have been very happy with my unit. As for maps on the GPS, I use OpenStreetMap which you can download for free for Garmin GPS units. I've done a fair bit of overseas travel (I live in Australia) and the OpenStreetMap maps have been terrific for the places I've visited, (eg China, Vietnam, Alaska, Egypt, Norway, Estonia, St Petersburg in Russia, to name a few.) I don't use topographical maps in my GPS. If I am going hiking into the wilderness, (which is not very often these days,) I prefer to carry a paper topographical map with me. Here is the link to the OpenStreetMap site.

Hope this help.

PS - Congratulations on your first find and welcome to the great adventure that is Geocaching. :grin:

Edited by Calypso62

All Garmin models come with a rudimentary world wide base map, which is almost unusable for practical purpose. This means you'll need one or more additional maps.

For the eTrex:

The "X" means it's an enhanced version of the original eTrex 30. More memory and a better screen resolution than the original version. So no additional maps included.

For the GPSMAP:

The "S" means it's equipped with a 3-axis compass.

The "T" means there is a topo map preloaded on the unit. The topo map is not world wide, so look carefully which area is covered. E.g. if you buy the model from an European retailer you get the Europe topo map, from US retailers you get the US topo map. These topo maps are more detailed than the world wide base map and contain DEM (digital elevation data), but still don't beat a paid topo map or a western OpenStreetMap (Calypso62 correctly points out OSM is poor in quality in non-western parts of the world). For a full list of OSM maps worldwide you can take a look here (scroll down for overviews per continent).

In case you're wondering: the "C" means a 5 MP build-in camera. Don't expect too much of this.

I have yet to cache in an area where OSM maps didn't do the job. I use them for regular caching (in Belgium and part of the Netherlands) and have used them away from home on my Oregon 600 and before that on the Colorado 300 in Greenland, Norway, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, UAE and Australia. Since I switched from TomTom to Garmin for our car GPS I used the OSM map on holiday in Australia. We had not even one issue.

BTW, I have Open Street Map and Open Cycle Map and mostly use OCM on the Oregon.

Hmmm... I don't think I said anything about OSM being poor quality in non-western parts of the world.... or did I? :sunsure:

Actually, like on4bam, I have found OSM maps have worked extremely well anywhere I've been. I was especially pleased with the maps for China while I was there.

Incidentally, having a map in a GPS unit is not critical to finding a cache. For the first six weeks of my geocaching career, I used a GPS with only the base map installed and found quite a number of caches. It is nice with a decent map but finding caches can still be done without it.

Thanks for the link StefandD. I've not seen that before.

Hmmm... I don't think I said anything about OSM being poor quality in non-western parts of the world.... or did I? :sunsure:

I think it was a language problem.

OpenStreetMap maps have been terrific

terrific <> terrible ??

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised by OSM for Greenland. Every place we hiked we had tracks on the map which we didn't expect. Also, a few weeks ago in Tasmania tracks in the rainforest were all on the OSM.

Edited by on4bam

I think it was a language problem.

OpenStreetMap maps have been terrific

terrific <> terrible ??

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised by OSM for Greenland. Every place we hiked we had tracks on the map which we didn't expect. Also, a few weeks ago in Tasmania tracks in the rainforest were all on the OSM.

English language, brilliant! :laughing:

Terrific = Great/Excellent etc.

Back on topic.

I'd also say OSM maps are worth looking at. Most of the mapping supplied as a Base Map on the unit is rather poor.

Shaded relief is unnecessary, and while it does come with the proprietary Garmin topo maps, I find it to be distracting, so I end up turning it off. It darkens your background, so maps can become harder to read, and it slows down the map draw time. Therefore, when I upgraded from an Oregon 450t to an Oregon 600 (without the included topo 100k), I didn't miss the terrain shading.

You can find some high quality free topo maps at www.gpsfiledepot.com

For online OSM maps with contours and shading, look at OpenCycleMap.

For offline OSM maps with contours and shading, look at Locus (on Android), maps from Locus or OpenAndroMaps, shading from ViewfinderPanoramas.

For blah blah Garmin, see above.

Humble opinion: OSM rocks! Two million contributors and counting.

Edited by Viajero Perdido