NEWBIES, scared, need help (Getting back into geocaching)

Donald, Daisy and Kids

G'day all,

We are Aussies and haven't really been able to geocache since early 2009 due to medical problems but are now looking to get back into it again.

So, I (Donald) is or was the technical guy, the one who did all the website stuff, logging etc etc and put all the cache coordinates into our GPS but in the past 6 years I've really lost track of how to do it, and I'm feeling rather like the first day I ever started caching as a total newbie with no idea what to do or how to do it, scared really as well I guess :(

Ok, so a bit about our setup.

We have PC and android and would prefer to use our old method with the Garmin ETREX VISTA CX until we get a decent new handheld unit to upgrade it, though we do have android phones and tablets as well (DONT trust the GPS though.

Ok, so I recall that I used to be a premium member and got emails with caches in the PQ's I had setup, but I can't remember how I got em into my GPS.

I've gone through everything I can find but just can't find anything specific (or detailed enough more to the point lol )

I remember we had GSAk but I think that was for doing bulk actions? I also seem to remember that it was a reasonably technical process to get PQ's from emails, then somehow transfer them to the GPS (program or method? )

Any help would be appreciated as we have someone else's trackable which we only discovered a few months back that we have held for years now :o:( (yes we have contacted the owner and apologised and they were OK with it)

Thanks in advance :)

If you're not Premium Members now, there's not much to worry about regarding PQ's. Pocket Queries are a PM benefit.

The forum group of "Premium Members" stays until you ask to have it changed. But your account info says you are not PM.

As Basic Members, you can only download .loc files.

Perhaps going through the Help Center might be of benefit to you.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Searching for a Geocache

2.10. How do I download geocaches to my GPS device?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=532

Have you checked out Groundspeak's apps? You might want to try the free, intro app or perhaps the paid app.

Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks Pup Patrol. I'll take a look at them now.

I did a bit of a search but was obviously not looking in the right spots lol

I'm thinking I will get the premium membership again as I recall it was much easier to get bulk caches into the GPS.

I'd prefer to stay away from the apps though, our phones and tablets just don't seem to be accurate enough, and signal issues also appear frequent (I've tried them on a few road trips and actually prefer the accuracy of my old Vista CX hahahha)

If you're not Premium Members now, there's not much to worry about regarding PQ's. Pocket Queries are a PM benefit.

The forum group of "Premium Members" stays until you ask to have it changed. But your account info says you are not PM.

As Basic Members, you can only download .loc files.

Perhaps going through the Help Center might be of benefit to you.

http://support.Groun...k.com/index.php

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Searching for a Geocache

2.10. How do I download geocaches to my GPS device?

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=532

Have you checked out Groundspeak's apps? You might want to try the free, intro app or perhaps the paid app.

Apps

http://support.Groun...g=kb.book&id=12

B.

I don't know enough about it, but I think I've read here and there that there used to be a Garmin plug-in or software of some sort? And now it's not compatible with... Windows, or the GC website, or something?

So if you were used to using that, you apparently can't anymore.

How's that for an unambiguous, welcoming announcement? :rolleyes:

Greetings, nervous newbies.

Here's an explanation of

, using Garmin Basecamp. It works with a Garmin Vista HCx, so it should work with your GPS too, in a pinch.

But I have never used GSAK. If you used it before, I think you should ask around or try to find documentation of the steps to using GSAK to get GPX files on your Garmin eTrex Vista Cx. I suspect GSAK can do a similar thing with the files, but, of course, the procedure would be different. Does "Send Waypoints" look familiar?

The email you get after your pocket query has run used to include the file; now it just has a link. You have to visit Build Pocket Queries --> Pocket Queries Ready for Download, while logged in at geocaching.com, and download the GPX file from there.

What TriciaG is talking about is the Garmin Communicator browser plugin. You would need this if you wanted to use the "Send to My GPS" button on an individual cache's page. Windows 10 does not play nice with it. Also, some newer browsers are phasing out plugins. So, depending on your operating system and browser, it could be difficult to make this work. The easy workaround, once you figure out how to get GPX files on your GPS, is to click the "GPX file" button instead, if you should ever want the information on just one cache.

Never used the Etrex Vista but i'd bet money it's similar to my antique 76Csx when it comes to getting caches into it.

I see you're premium now so you can order up PQs. Set one up the way you like and submit it. If it's smaller than 500 caches, then you can receive the gpx file in an email. If it's more than 500, you'll have to download from the general pocket query page. There will be a tab that says something like "pocket queries ready fro download". Download to your computer in a place where you can find it. If you have gsak installed, find the zip file and drag it to gsak. It should open up where you can see your caches. Edit caches as needed and then hook up the Vista to the computer when you're ready to upload.

At the top of the gsak page, find the tab that says "gps". Click it, then click "setup". Choose "Garmin", then in the second dropdown, choose the "Vista" model you're using. Click ok. Now go back to the "gps" tab and click "send waypoints". You can do some editing/setting up here but if you just want to get the waypoints into the unit, click "send" at the bottom.

You have probably figured out all of this by now but if not, hope this helps!

The forum doesn't change when membership changes. If PM is lapsed, the forum will still say "+Premium Members", unless a Moderator changes it. (Trust me, I know this as our PM lapsed, yet the forum still showed us as PM.)

According to their profile, the OP is not PM, so PQ's are out of the question until they become PM again. See post #3 by the OP.

B.

The forum doesn't change when membership changes. If PM is lapsed, the forum will still say "+Premium Members", unless a Moderator changes it. (Trust me, I know this as our PM lapsed, yet the forum still showed us as PM.)

According to their profile, the OP is not PM, so PQ's are out of the question until they become PM again. See post #3 by the OP.

B.

Didn't know that, just took it for granted that the forum information was correct. The OP would have to become premium again to get PQs for GSAK use.

The forum group of "Premium Members" stays until you ask to have it changed.

I think a log out and back in sometimes takes care of that

No, it doesn't. Hasn't for years. Even with the forum software upgrade.

My forum profile would continue to show "PM", although I wasn't. I always log out of the forum when I leave.

The only way to really know if an account is PM is to take a look at their profile.

B.

Greetings, nervous newbies.

Here's an explanation of

, using Garmin Basecamp. It works with a Garmin Vista HCx, so it should work with your GPS too, in a pinch.

But I have never used GSAK. If you used it before, I think you should ask around or try to find documentation of the steps to using GSAK to get GPX files on your Garmin eTrex Vista Cx. I suspect GSAK can do a similar thing with the files, but, of course, the procedure would be different. Does "Send Waypoints" look familiar?

The email you get after your pocket query has run used to include the file; now it just has a link. You have to visit Build Pocket Queries --> Pocket Queries Ready for Download, while logged in at geocaching.com, and download the GPX file from there.

What TriciaG is talking about is the Garmin Communicator browser plugin. You would need this if you wanted to use the "Send to My GPS" button on an individual cache's page. Windows 10 does not play nice with it. Also, some newer browsers are phasing out plugins. So, depending on your operating system and browser, it could be difficult to make this work. The easy workaround, once you figure out how to get GPX files on your GPS, is to click the "GPX file" button instead, if you should ever want the information on just one cache.

Thanks MsRubble :) That helps a bit :)

Never used the Etrex Vista but i'd bet money it's similar to my antique 76Csx when it comes to getting caches into it.

I see you're premium now so you can order up PQs. Set one up the way you like and submit it. If it's smaller than 500 caches, then you can receive the gpx file in an email. If it's more than 500, you'll have to download from the general pocket query page. There will be a tab that says something like "pocket queries ready fro download". Download to your computer in a place where you can find it. If you have gsak installed, find the zip file and drag it to gsak. It should open up where you can see your caches. Edit caches as needed and then hook up the Vista to the computer when you're ready to upload.

At the top of the gsak page, find the tab that says "gps". Click it, then click "setup". Choose "Garmin", then in the second dropdown, choose the "Vista" model you're using. Click ok. Now go back to the "gps" tab and click "send waypoints". You can do some editing/setting up here but if you just want to get the waypoints into the unit, click "send" at the bottom.

You have probably figured out all of this by now but if not, hope this helps!

Thanks Mudfrog, yes the units were almost identical :) Thanks for the help. We are yet to become premium members again, but intend to do so as soon as we get ourselves sorted again as it sure beats loading the caches one by one :D

B.

Correct Pup Patrol.

Our forum user shows us as premium members still, however I can assure that we are not, and we hadn't even logged in in well over 6 months, and at one point were even locked out because I'd forgotten our password :o and you are also right, our profile shows we are not Premium members.

Edited by Donald, Daisy and Kids