iPhone Intro App Souvenirs

Why doesn't the Intro App on iPhone show you your souvenirs? Geocaching.com has been giving out a bunch of different souvenirs and anyone using the Intro App can't see them from there.

I am a Premium Member and just switched to iPhone and don't want to pay another $9.99 for the paid app that is no longer being developed and will soon be gone. I know the paid iPhone app allows you to see souvenirs.

The app is a tool to help you find geocaches. They also have this thing called a website, you've probably been to it if only once. There is really no reason for the app to do anything other than find caches. I don't even think we should be able to log from the app, let alone see a picture that really doesn't mean anything. Maybe if the souvenirs actually did something, but they literally add nothing to the app (or even website)

The app is a tool to help you find geocaches. They also have this thing called a website, you've probably been to it if only once. There is really no reason for the app to do anything other than find caches. I don't even think we should be able to log from the app, let alone see a picture that really doesn't mean anything. Maybe if the souvenirs actually did something, but they literally add nothing to the app (or even website)

Well thanks for jumping to conclusions T.D.M.22, I visit the website dozens of times a day and I know they have the souvenirs there. So your assumptions that I've probably been to it only once is far from correct. I personally like the souvenirs and the reason I asked was merely because I wanted to take a screen capture of the souvenir with my phone. Why would they be pushing all these souvenirs lately and the new features on the app and not have a way for cachers to view them on their phone?

I just think it would be a nice feature to have. Not everyone likes souvenirs but some people do.

Edited by Sherminator18

Really TDM. If you can't say something helpful and nice then keep your mouth shut instead of jumping down somebody's throat that you made assumptions about because you have some stupid beef with cell phone cachers. You've probably figured it all out in your 486 finds (and 3549 posts!?!) haven't you? Maybe Groundspeak should just go ahead and make you CEO.... *smh*

I, personally, am not a huge fan of souvenirs but I know some people like them. It'd be nice if they did more to promote the game than just giving us a tiny jpeg that says we cached at a certain place or time and I think they're putting too much emphasis on them. That being said, when I app, the official isn't the one I use for a plethora of reasons. There are much better apps out there in my book.

It's not Google or Apple that is mandating the price, it's geocaching.com. They (geocaching.com) will be removing the paid app from both the Google Play store and the Apple App Store within a year probably and transitioning to only the Free App, currently called the "Intro" App

If they force Google Play to remove their paid app from their store then they should refund everybody who has bought the app!

They're not forcing Google to remove it. Geocaching.com is the one that puts the app on the Google store. It is geocaching.com that is removing it. You will be able to keep the app on your phone and use it but there will be no more updates for it. And someone new will not be able to purchase it if they don't already have it. They are making the free app the only app with more features (the features of the paid app) available for cachers that are Premium Members. You'd have to complain to Geocaching.com about getting the refund but I doubt you'll get anywhere with that. Should I get a refund for all the apps I purchased on Android now that I've switched to iPhone? No. That's my own fault.

They're not forcing Google to remove it. Geocaching.com is the one that puts the app on the Google store. It is geocaching.com that is removing it. You will be able to keep the app on your phone and use it but there will be no more updates for it. And someone new will not be able to purchase it if they don't already have it. They are making the free app the only app with more features (the features of the paid app) available for cachers that are Premium Members. You'd have to complain to Geocaching.com about getting the refund but I doubt you'll get anywhere with that. Should I get a refund for all the apps I purchased on Android now that I've switched to iPhone? No. That's my own fault.

Can i the article that states Geocaching will be removing some apps from stores that you are getting your information from. I'd like to see for myself.

This doesn't say they are mandating Google and Apple to remove the paid apps from their store. This is just an informative article stating they are updating the intro app.

I'm not sure what you want to hear. They're consolidating the features of the two apps into one: the current Intro app.

In short, we want to create a single geocaching experience on mobile that can serve as both a simple introduction to the game and unlock into the full geocaching experience with Premium membership.

Once the current paid app is no longer supported, it's only logical that it would no longer be available to purchase in the app stores. Why would you want it to remain available? It wouldn't be receiving any updates, and requests for support would just be met with "Start using our new app instead" which will likely have more features anyway.

As for a refund, I can't understand why you would expect a refund when Groundspeak stops supporting the app. Would you expect Microsoft to give out refunds when they stop supporting old versions of Windows? You bought it and then used it for a while. In most of society, that doesn't entitle you to a refund.

This doesn't say they are mandating Google and Apple to remove the paid apps from their store. This is just an informative article stating they are updating the intro app.

I'm not sure what you want to hear. They're consolidating the features of the two apps into one: the current Intro app.

In short, we want to create a single geocaching experience on mobile that can serve as both a simple introduction to the game and unlock into the full geocaching experience with Premium membership.

Once the current paid app is no longer supported, it's only logical that it would no longer be available to purchase in the app stores. Why would you want it to remain available? It wouldn't be receiving any updates, and requests for support would just be met with "Start using our new app instead" which will likely have more features anyway.

As for a refund, I can't understand why you would expect a refund when Groundspeak stops supporting the app. Would you expect Microsoft to give out refunds when they stop supporting old versions of Windows? You bought it and then used it for a while. In most of society, that doesn't entitle you to a refund.

What is the point of the paid app if all the features will be allegedly in the intro app in the future? I don't see any in the intro app. Plus it's "intro." If Groundspeak still has the app allowed in the stores it doesn't matter to me if they update it or not. I like to see where I am and the geocaches nearby where i am. I'm sure the coords will be off in the apps anyways so people would still need a GPS to get any accuracy from the determined coords of the cache.

Edited by Pond Bird

It's not Google or Apple that is mandating the price, it's geocaching.com. They (geocaching.com)will be removing the paid app from both the Google Play store and the Apple App Store within a year probably and transitioning to only the Free App, currently called the "Intro" App

I'm interested in where this "within the year" came from. I don't recall GS estimating an ETA anywhere.

B.

What is the point of the paid app if all the features will be allegedly in the intro app in the future? I don't see any in the intro app. Plus it's "intro."

Isn't that what we've been telling you? They're migrating features from the paid app to the intro app. Once that process is complete, there won't be any point in having the paid app around anymore. At that point, they'll most likely drop the "Intro" from the name, since it will simply be the lone Groundspeak geocaching app. Hopefully they don't just call it "Geocaching", because that would confuse things between the old and new app.

If Groundspeak still has the app allowed in the stores it doesn't matter to me if they update it or not. I like to see where I am and the geocaches nearby where i am.

The current intro app can do this, and I highly doubt they'll remove this most-critical functionality when they make it the sole app, since that would effectively cripple it.

I'm sure the coords will be off in the apps anyways so people would still need a GPS to get any accuracy from the determined coords of the cache.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The coordinates displayed in the app for existing caches will be whatever the hider put into the listing. I see no reason why this wouldn't be the case. If you're talking about taking coordinates for hiding a cache, the accuracy of a smartphone's location is hardware/OS-dependent, and using a different app won't have an effect.