Time glitch using APP

Saxo82A

When I log a cache, using the app, I've noticed that it's logged 8 hours back in time. I suspect that this because of the app running on Seattle time (GMT-8) and not in local time, Danish (GMT+1). This is a problem, when hunting for night cache's, for specific dates, to qualify for challenges.

Can this be fixed?

Unfortunately, this is actually a side effect of the server's timekeeping, which is in fact in Seattle time. If I'm not mistaken*, the app reports logs with the appropriate timestamps (including GMT/UTC offsets), which the server then converts to PST time. So if you log a cache at 7am, January 3rd (local time), the app sends date "2016-01-03" and time "0700+0100" (7am in UTC+1) to the server. The server then converts this to PST (UTC-8), which results in 10pm January 2nd, PST.

It's not so much that the time stamps are incorrect, but the lines between yesterday/today/tomorrow are relative to Seattle time. We're aware it can cause issues for geocachers in international time zones, but it's not something we can fix without re-architecting the way the whole system keeps track of log timestamps, and potentially rendering all past log times inaccurate. Either that or we invent time machine trackables.

However, there is a way to fix your temporally misplaced logs, which is detailed in this KB article: https://support.Grou...=kb.page&id=545

*I may be mistaken. Thinking about timezones too much makes my head hurt, as the video in the KB article illustrates.

Edited by rocketgarden

It's not so much that the time stamps are incorrect, but the lines between yesterday/today/tomorrow are relative to Seattle time. We're aware it can cause issues for geocachers in international time zones, but it's not something we can fix without re-architecting the way the whole system keeps track of log timestamps, and potentially rendering all past log times inaccurate. Either that or we invent time machine trackables.

However, there is a way to fix your temporally misplaced logs, which is detailed in this KB article: https://support.Grou...=kb.page&id=545

I guess it should be possible to fix as when I load my founds in GSAK (from GPS geocache_visits.txt with UTC timestamp) and log via API caches are logged on the correct date. I've never had a cache logged "yesterday" using that method being 9 hours ahead of Seattle.

Unfortunately, this is actually a side effect of the server's timekeeping, which is in fact in Seattle time.

This shouldn't be that difficult. Each device knows its timezone, and how to convert to/from UTC. Log everything as UTC in the database, convert to/from when updating/viewing.... I know, I know, sounds easy...