Replicate Cache Page for series

MidnightsRaiders

How do I replicate the cache page when doing a series of caches?

I create a cache (cache #1) page with background image, description, coords, name etc. It gives me a GC#. Then I just want to duplicate that page and get a new GC# and go back in and edit the small number of details that will change for cache #2 in my series, and then repeat for cache #3, #4, etc

I used to know how to do it and I actually did this tonight but it was by accident so I don't know the steps that occurred to create the duplicate.

To break down niraD's post a little, here's step by step how to do it.

- Open up the first geocache, your master copy. In the box on the right hand side labled "Admin tools," click the "Edit" link.

- Go into the cache description box and copy all of the HTML description.

- You should then be able to simply paste this into the cache description box for all of the new caches, then make whatever small changes as needed.

Brings up the point that they ought to add a "template" feature. I was at an event recently where the organizers were complaining about how difficult it was to publish an event because they kept getting feedback about it needing to lay out like other event caches. Then it occurred to me that maybe, if they want that sort of consistency, they ought to allow users to create templates...or maybe even create a template for certain cache types that require specific information on a given cache type. This could then be extended to series creation.

But then, there will likely be a few people saying how "there's nothing wrong with the way it is now and please don't change it because that's a stupid idea".

*sigh*

One thing that really annoys me about series is the repetitious nature of descriptions! I understand that there will be some commonality because it is a series but when I read the same description time and again, it becomes very boring and leads me to suspect that the hides will also be the same.

So, on a more positive note, may I suggest that the first part of descriptions in series be the part that is unique to that cache then followed by the generic series description?

So, on a more positive note, may I suggest that the first part of descriptions in series be the part that is unique to that cache then followed by the generic series description?

On most power trail (series) caches there is nothing unique about each one. It is just another film canister that is more than 528' from any other film canister. So no need for any difference or in most cases (and I have run into a few) there is no need for any description.

On most power trail (series) caches there is nothing unique about each one. It is just another film canister that is more than 528' from any other film canister. So no need for any difference or in most cases (and I have run into a few) there is no need for any description.
FWIW, I posted a suggestion that would have (among other things) eliminated the copy-paste duplicate descriptions and the copy-paste duplicate logs from numbers run trails.

One thing that really annoys me about series is the repetitious nature of descriptions! I understand that there will be some commonality because it is a series but when I read the same description time and again, it becomes very boring and leads me to suspect that the hides will also be the same.

This is not a power trail. It is a "clue Series" of 19 caches. As of yet, no one has yet answered how to create an exact duplicate without the HTML copy paste which I am aware of how to do. I know it can be done - I've done it previously years ago. And I just did it "accidentally" a couple days ago. But I don't know what I did to create the replica. Help still needed.

Well, the HTML copy paste is the obvious answer, and in your first post you didn't say, "without the HTML copy paste." So it's a bit unfair to say no one has answered you. ;)

I have never experienced this. I assume if you accidentally stumbled upon it at one time, it's some sort of unintended workaround. My only guess is to fill in the template until you get a GC number, then use your browser's Back button to page back and submit it again? But the form fields might automatically empty, so if that's not it, I have absolutely no other ideas.

I've used browsers that allowed me to shift-click on a form submission button, submitting the form and displaying the results in a new tab/window, and leaving the original (completed, but unsubmitted) form intact in the original tab/window. But I don't think any of the common browsers today support this.