map displaying benchmarks?

Boomhawr

Hello. Started on geocaching a couple years back, just started on Waymarking, and now I'm trying to figure out Benchmarking. The other 2 you can show a map that displays the cache/waymarks in an are. Is there a way to display Benchmarks in an area on a map like that? would help on long trips (driving, hiking, kayaking, ect) to see if there are any along your route, but I can't find a way to display like that.

Hello. Started on geocaching a couple years back, just started on Waymarking, and now I'm trying to figure out Benchmarking. The other 2 you can show a map that displays the cache/waymarks in an are. Is there a way to display Benchmarks in an area on a map like that? would help on long trips (driving, hiking, kayaking, ect) to see if there are any along your route, but I can't find a way to display like that.

Check out the NGS Data Explorer

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/

Note that not all of the geodetic marks shown will be in the database that Groundspeak has so you won't be able to log those.

ok, thanks. think Im getting the hang of the site now (somewhat anyway).

But why don't they have it mapped on the geocaching benchmark web sit like on the other "games"? (geocaching, Waymarking, ect).

also, if you find 1 on the NGS Data Base that is not on the Groundspeak Data Base, then do you add it by posting it then?

Thank you again.

ok, thanks. think Im getting the hang of the site now (somewhat anyway).

But why don't they have it mapped on the geocaching benchmark web sit like on the other "games"? (geocaching, Waymarking, ect).

also, if you find 1 on the NGS Data Base that is not on the Groundspeak Data Base, then do you add it by posting it then?

Thank you again.

Benchmarks were an early part of the game, but the database has not been expanded, nor have many features been added, from my experience. They are just not a priority, I suspect.

I doubt they will "get to it". The regulars here have asked for the benchmark site to be made more of a priority in the past and have gotten nowhere. It has been years now and I think we have all given up and just use it as it exists, as well as report on the USGS site, which adds value to what we do by giving surveyors access to our recoveries.

As for benchmark maps, I use Google Earth using a KML file that a member here provided. I will let him chime in if he wants anyone else to have it--he switched his development efforts to Benchmap for Android a while ago--it's a great product and he keeps adding to it. The GE KML gets a little flakey at times, mostly because the USGS site isn't available, but overall it is a great tool for doing research before heading out.

Ah, alright. Thank you.

I Found my first benchmark today. When I log it,----

Boomhawr,

Please, please log it with photos - no reason for secrecy over here on the dark side. Just the opposite! If you can improve/update the location information - referred to as 'calls' in the surveying profession - it can save someone $$$'s.

And when you refer to it in a post here please use the link and 'insert photo' feature found above.

Have you had a chance to read through the 'Pinned' subjects above? Most beginner questions will be answered there and don't be a bit bashful of requesting help here - most of the regulars have learned from at least one bone-head mistake of their own.

kayakbird, aka MEL in Data Sheet recoveries.

haha. Ok, thanks. I still haven't figured out posting pics to the forum. Is this 1 that you have to first put it on photobucket or something first to post them?

I like the name. I kayak when I have the time. Wish I had it with me here, but I flew up here. Plus it's turning cold. Like to find some waymarks, caches, and benchmarks that I can kayak to.

The benchmark I found today is AB8735. http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=AB8735

Edited by Boomhawr

Boomhawr,

I see that you got the photos into your log. I generally insert the photo here first. Select the photo icon above (two right of smilie) and backspace out the http://; then go to your log and select the photo to insert. Copy its http:// (ends with .jpg). Come back to this page and paste in to the photo ion box.

To link select the chain above and again delete the hhtp. Go back to your log, click on the name and copy the www. Paste that into the URL link box back here. Add text as desired in the 'My Link' box.

Take the time to do a 'Preview Post' - save embarrassment!

First bench mark by Boomhawr! Congrats.

9fb08219-0be0-43c0-9796-e5ae05ac6e46.jpg

Formatting link & photo placement takes a bit of practice.

My West Side Boat Shop EFT has gotten a lot of BM hunting use - particularly getting me to MORC's (Missouri River Commission 1880's marks). A two night trip on Fort Peck Reservoir in Sept 2011 was one of the best - lots of paddle miles, several good hikes (including a lichen covered rock) and a before daylight start for the paddle out cause I was a wee bit short of water. kayakbird

Last MORC this trip SQ0601

Edited by kayakbird

Hey, thanks for the help. I'll try it out next time I find 1.

I have a Pescador Sport as my first kayak. My best trip so far is the one that got me hooked. I was training in Little Rock, Arkansas, and 1 day I rented a kayak and paddled up the Little Maumelle River. Beautiful paddle. I don't know if you're on any paddling forums, but I posted pics and all on one of them.

I looked, and found benchmarks along the Red River along the Texas/Oklahoma boarder on or near the bank of the river. Get time, I've wanted to paddle the Red anyway. Guess I got something else to do along the way.

This one DN1294 is right off the bank and says: "RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1995 MARK NOT FOUND". Maybe I can see if I can find it for them (if it IS still there.

Like the pics on yours. Good looking country.

Edited by Boomhawr

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=248169&st=0&p=4320660&hl=witness%20post&fromsearch=1entry4320660

Try the above - is is a previous thread in this forum, about four pages down when I searched for 'Witness Post. This search function is another good source of information. I know of at least three types of metal "WP's". Not sure if I have a blazed tree (caution on depending on these) but I bet somebody else will put one up. Blaze marks are frequently used in cadastral work, but as you may have noted in other threads, many section corners are not in the CGS/NGS data base.

SQ0262 USLS 1871

ba9d5953-7afc-4d63-a897-600b8e106324.jpg

Have fun with all this. Looks like your Red River target is only 0.50 mi above a possible launch point under the I 77 bridge. River bank has moved closer. MEL

Cool. Thanks again.

Yeah, I've done recon on that bridge already. Has an area directly underneath to park and launch from. Of course, good thing about a kayak is that you can launch form almost anywhere. BUT..... last summer the river and Lake Texoma (just down stream) flooded and broke the previous depth record. They thought they were going to loose the bridge. So the launch area could be messed up, and no telling what it could have done to the target site.

Well done! I think there should be extra credit for recoveries found in areas not open to the general public, especially if tanks are involved.

A suggestion about photographs, if I may: I think it's helpful to show the disk (or other marker) in context of nearby landmarks, to help the next person — who may be a professional — quickly locate the mark. Here are a couple of examples of how I do it.

In most cases I draw a box around the target, using the "stroke" feature on Photoshop Elements. (Other graphic programs will have a similar feature, possibly with a different name.) This example, from JC1173 (St. Louis, Mo.), clearly shows that the disk is on the first round column after a bunch of square ones.

6ffdedb4-8357-4bf9-a3c8-616a0f46146b.jpg

In the past I generally used an arrow, which is probably a more popular indicator. Here's an example from KV7118 in Morris Co., N.J. —

f76ccaa1-8454-4f22-9339-89f671a34c6d.jpg

OOhhhh yeah. Kayakbird, check out the set up on this 1. Go to the NGS Explorer map and zoom in on it with the map in satellite mode. Nice landing from the river at the train bridge, then a dirt road to fallow right up to the target. I think I can have some fun with all this. Always good to be able to combine multiple hobbies.

DM0040

-- NGS Explorer map and zoom in on it with the map in satellite mode.---

Boomhawr,

Got it pinned in my 'MAPPING' folder on Google Earth. That way I can go play with it anytime. Maybe you can get a clear photo and update the setting year (HISTORY - UNK MONUMENTED TXRD).

I don't have that part of the world in GSAK so can't easily figure out if that '3' string continues along the railroad. Have you figured out how a 'level run' used A # thru Z # sequentially with a low # usually meaning it was part of an early 1900's PLN (Precise Level Net - more new terminology!) Hopefully what is knowing as SP #18 (Special Publication 18,) and others, can still be downloaded. I haven't looked at mine for several years - may have lost the thumb stick I had it on - and I'm going to be busy doing first of the year birding (local CBC - Christmas Bird Count) for the next few days.

Will be looking for your logs via kayak. kayakbird

I don't have that part of the world in GSAK so can't easily figure out if that '3' string continues along the railroad. Have you figured out how a 'level run' used A # thru Z # sequentially with a low # usually meaning it was part of an early 1900's PLN (Precise Level Net - more new terminology!) Hopefully what is knowing as SP #18 (Special Publication 18,) and others, can still be downloaded. I haven't looked at mine for several years - may have lost the thumb stick I had it on - and I'm going to be busy doing first of the year birding (local CBC - Christmas Bird Count) for the next few days.

:blink: huh? You just got WELL past me there. I'll have to work on figuring out all that.

good luck with the birds.

I found another interesting 1 further back west. Part of the description is "ABOUT 400 FT. IN A NW DIRECTION FROM THE N END OF THE ELECTRA TOLL BRIDGE OVER RED RIVER". But there isn't a bridge anywhere near it now. EM0782 I even checked http://www.historicaerials.com/ back as far as 1953, looking at aerials, and topo, and they didn't show 1 either.

If you're also looking for an Iphone app to use on a road trip, try:

1. FindaControl - nice real time mapping as you drive and will display NGS datasheets. No link to Groundspeak.

2. HuntMarkers - I've been using this app for a couple of years. It displays a snapshot of BM's around your location. It links to Groundspeak; any BM you find using this app is loggable on the Geocaching website. Unfortunately, I searched for app today in the app store and could not find it. (it was searchable as FindMarkers)

I sent an email to the app creator to see what's up. I'll post a note when I get a reply.

They may also be available for Androids, but I don't know.

Maybe someone else that knows of other mobile apps can chime in?

aa10eb41-ade4-4cb5-81f4-283fe656f7a5.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

AWSOME!!!! Thank you sooo much. Findacontrol looks like it will work on my phone (it's not an I phone). I'm loading it now. It also showed me another app called Benchmap, that it says DOES view the Geochaching page.

Maybe we should start another thread on just listing apps that can be used.

I found another interesting 1 further back west. Part of the description is "ABOUT 400 FT. IN A NW DIRECTION FROM THE N END OF THE ELECTRA TOLL BRIDGE OVER RED RIVER". But there isn't a bridge anywhere near it now. EM0782 I even checked http://www.historicaerials.com/ back as far as 1953, looking at aerials, and topo, and they didn't show 1 either.

It appears this monument has a history, and was used in a supreme court case to determine the Texas-Oklahoma border https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/267/452

A more in depth view of the dispute appears in The Geographical Review: http://www.jstor.org/stable/208446?seq=21#page_scan_tab_contents but more importantly there is a blurry picture of the Electra bridge on page 178. It shows a wooden structure that, once it was abandoned, would have rapidly been reclaimed by the river.

At any rate, the station is first order--so it should be precisely where the coordinates say it will. Using your GPS should get you within 10 feet or so.

I know this is an old thread, but I was notified last week that GEOCACHING, COM has discontinued their support of the Benchmark Search function associated with the game. SUCKS!!! There is so much historical significance in the USGS Benchmarks that I find it totally fascinating. Any time I go on vacation I plan ahead to find as many BM's as possible. Now I can't "LOG" them as that part of the game is not there anymore. Is there another game or logging of BM's online that can be played for BM Searching? OR is there any computer whizzes out there that can come up with a BM game similar to Geocaching? Mercy sakes....

• Love 1