Spam messages.

T.D.M.22

Just received a message from a cachet witu no hides or finds and only just signed up.

Hello my dear,

My name is Miss Hazina Samuel, is my pleasure to contact you after viewing your profile today, I am looking for a partner and relationship if you are interested write me back thanks i will be expecting your mail,

Your friend

Hazina.

Email address redacted

Either spam or I'm more attractive than I thought.

Just received a message from a cachet witu no hides or finds and only just signed up.

Hello my dear,

My name is Miss Hazina Samuel, is my pleasure to contact you after viewing your profile today, I am looking for a partner and relationship if you are interested write me back thanks i will be expecting your mail,

Your friend

Hazina.

Email address redacted

Probably the latter. After all, Hazina isn't selling anything.....is she?

Probably the latter. After all, Hazina isn't selling anything.....is she?

Not yet. Next step.. I'd like to visit you, send money for planeticket, a bit later, sorry, can't make it I'm in hospital, send money for doctor.. and on and on....

My guess: originating IP= W-Africa

BTW Hazina = he :lol:

Edited by on4bam

I just got a spam in my message center as well. This one reminds me of the smap cache-logs that were plaguing the site a few months ago.

Hey! Check out http://[redacted] if you want to view all the premium caches in your area for FREE!!

User was CHAS7336. Trying to figure out now how to report this.

I just got a spam in my message center as well. This one reminds me of the smap cache-logs that were plaguing the site a few months ago.

Hey! Check out http://[redacted] if you want to view all the premium caches in your area for FREE!!

User was CHAS7336. Trying to figure out now how to report this.

My player account just got the same one from Gavin6935.

Me too. Just got this message via message center from user 'sexton8098' :

Hey! Check out [redacted] if you want to view all the premium caches in your area for FREE!!

Not very clever writing it that way with this username.

The worst thing is, I can't delete it via the info-app on Android. So spam will stay in place for any time?

Not a year since the message center started ... and just got spammed/hacked.

I hope Seattle will fix this soon! Just another reason, to make the registration process more secure (i.e. activationlink via email,...)

Thx a lot!

Edited by Rock Chalk
Removed link

Check out [redacted] if you want to view all the premium caches in your area for FREE!! ... got two of this already today ... two different names ... please get them blocked soon or the message center will fill up since we can't delete them

Edited by Rock Chalk
Removed link reference

Check out http_cacheprize_xyz if you want to view all the premium caches in your area for FREE!! ... got two of this already today ... two different names ... please get them blocked soon or the message center will fill up since we can't delete them

I got that message too by a "fake" cacher named "Gilmore9527". I'm already a premium member so I know it's a hacker website.

On another note, I get emails everytime someone messages me through the message center. This time, I didn't. Could this be related? I only knew about this messages since I got a notification in my message box when I logged into geocaching.

Edited by bluesnote

The staff at Geocaching HQ is aware of today's spam attack, and they're "on it." Hopefully a Lackey will stop by to post an update, but it's best to let them work on the problem now.

[EDIT: It is no longer necessary to report account names. See the update below from a friendly Lackey.] You're welcome to continue posting account names so that they can be banned individually, unless and until a broader solution is found.

Edited by Keystone

Check out {redacted} if you want to view all the premium caches in your area for FREE!! ... got two of this already today ... two different names ... please get them blocked soon or the message center will fill up since we can't delete them

I got that message too by a "fake" cacher named "Gilmore9527". I'm already a premium member so I know it's a hacker website.

On another note, I get emails everytime someone messages me through the message center. This time, I didn't. Could this be related? I only knew about this messages since I got a notification in my message box when I logged into geocaching.

Or have an option to only allow email no message center

Edited by Rock Chalk
Removed reference to link

Getting several of these SPAM messages today. If Geocaching.com can't keep their messaging system from being hacked, I wish they provided a way to turn it off!! Or at least a way to delete Messages without opening them first.

As it is now, I have to open up the SPAM message before I can do anything, than I can only "hide" it. That violates a cardinal rule of cyber security!! The only thing to do with a suspicious message/email is to immediately DELETE it.

wiggins 8421

lucas6877

parker1711

Edited by oaknest

Thanks for the early reports on this spammer. We have several engineers working today to resolve this issue. We are actively banning the accounts. But there is no longer a need for geocachers to post usernames in this thread anymore.

Geocachers will receive email notifications resulting from these messages for a longer period of time.

We will be discussing ways to prevent this sort of automatic messaging of geocachers.

In the meantime, we recommend using the "Block User" feature in Message Center so that you don't have to see the messages from these users.

Now it's time to head out and go geocaching!

I would still have been perfectly happy with decently verified email addresses, using email instead of this Message Center.

But then, we've all talked about that before, and it's clear that Message Center isn't going away, as much as some of us felt we didn't want to deal with it.

And yes, please delete all of the SPAM in the thousands of user accounts where it has been piling up (I have 3 so far). Any decent inbox would have a true "Delete" button, but this isn't a decent inbox...

Pacheco4967

That account is already locked, as are all of the others created for spamming today. As noted above, there's no need to report additional account names.

You can click on the "x" in Pacheco4967's message to you, in order to hide the conversation. You'll never see it again unless you try to send a message back to that account.

In the meantime, we recommend using the "Block User" feature in Message Center so that you don't have to see the messages from these users.

Given the send limits, I assume they were opening accounts by the zillions in order to send so many of these, and that theory seems confirmed by the seemingly random number at the end of each name. So I shouldn't get a second one from the same account, right?

Anyway, thanks for dealing with this, as it seems, from my point of view, that the problem has dried up. The volume didn't actually rise to the level that I found annoying, but I cringed at the thought of what the lackeys were going through to try to shut the problem down.

Given the send limits, I assume they were opening accounts by the zillions in order to send so many of these, and that theory seems confirmed by the seemingly random number at the end of each name. So I shouldn't get a second one from the same account, right?

Anyway, thanks for dealing with this, as it seems, from my point of view, that the problem has dried up. The volume didn't actually rise to the level that I found annoying, but I cringed at the thought of what the lackeys were going through to try to shut the problem down.

Cudo's to the hamster(s) that worked fast to get rid of these rats. Curious however as to what the "payload" was if you clicked.... does anyone know?

Delete all users and their messages where username ends on four digits AND the emailadress is not authenticated ... Should work ...

How do I delete the users... All I can see is to hide the conversation and then I don't know where that goes. I would like to delete conversations that I no longer need to keep. Cannot find where I can do that. I consider myself tech savvy but not in this case with the message center. thanks for any help

Click on the "X" to hide the message center conversation from the spammer account. You'll never know it's still there on the servers somewhere, unless (1) you typed in that user's name to send them a new message (which you'd never need to do), or (2) that user contacted you again (which they can't, 'cuz they're banned).

Hello my dear,

Your friend

Hazina.

Email address redacted

Looks like an ad for a dating site. I would ignore it since it's not geocaching related nor coming from an actual geocacher.