2016 geocaching goals or resolutions

hzoi

After caching the least we've ever cached over the past year (we're hoping to end the year with 500 finds), hopefully this will be the low water mark for us.

Goals for 2016:

- Finish the New Mexico Delorme Challenge

- Add at least two more states

- Add at least one more country

- Find our 7000th cache

- Find over 500 caches

- Hide more caches and host more events

I invite you to post your goals for the new year now, then come back this time next year and let us know how you did.

My 2016 caching resolution is still 1920 x 1080. B) Garmin, are you even coming close yet? :P

Oh, that kind of resolution. Well, I met one of my goals (a 5-year FTF), but the other will take quite a few years yet. Getting my terrain average up above 2.5. All those 1s and 1.5s I did early in my career are killing me, so I'll have to find piles of 2.5+ to pull up the average. Those tend to be time-consuming (devote a day to climbing that mountain), but they also tend to be the memorable ones. So it's fun.

If I can reach that goal before I die of old age, I'll be happy.

I got real interesting in doubling up on the grid, and am close to finishing that. I have an interest in some of my state's unfound 4 years plus hides, most of them north of me, and needing some cool weather ( which evidently isn't going to happen in Florida this year.)

After that, I'm not sure what next. Have fun, mostly. There's a state park geotour that I thought I'd get after, but a year out, I've found exactly 1 of them.

I'd say hide fewer caches (as in, archive some). Attend and host some events.

Viajero Perdido, funny about the average terrain rating of finds - a while back, early in Challenge caches, I saw one that wanted 1000+ finds and an average T rating of 3. Dang. I think it was in Utah, dedicated to someone to whom it applied. Lots of mountain climbing...

It got me interested in trying to get my terrain average above 2. I did some math at the time, and figured that with several hundred consecutive T5s, I'd be there ;-).... I am there now, but without a lot of effort really. I typically PQ with terrain equal to or greater than 2. Have kayak and like being in it, lots of boat caches in my geocaching world. Easy really, but rated T5.\

I'm not interested in raising average difficulty ratings. I'm into the journey, not the hunt. (And likely I'll not make much effort to sustain that higher T rating, if it gets to a nuisance. On the other hand, if I keep finding paddle caches, I may beat you to average t 1.5 )

•  
  • Doing fun caches (no matter if others think they break the rules/guidelines).
  • Ignoring even more traditionals that appear to have just been thrown out of a moving car.
  • Going for the new challenges that will appear after the moratorium ends (unless the challenge is "rewarded" with a souvenir)
  • Finally adding Luxembourg to our countries list (it's only 200Km from home)
  • Finally logging GC40 (on the way to Luxembourg B) )
  • Adding a few more "hidden" months
  • Getting closer to 366 caching days (many open dates are Saturday/Sunday this year)

Rather than set my goals at the start of the year, I tend to let my "resolutions" develop organically. This year, I really got into letterbox-hybrids and decided to strive to find at least 500 of them during the course of 2015. Yesterday, we achieved that.

I also enjoy the Fizzy grid, and we completed it in a couple interesting ways this year: using just mystery caches and using just micros. Looks like we'll be one or two cells short of finishing a traditional-only Fizzy, a small-only Fizzy, and a regular-only Fizzy. Hopefully, we'll complete those in 2016.

We're a long way from chalking up letterbox-only, multi-only, and EarthCache-only Fizzies, but we do have a miniature version of them. For all those cache types, we have finds for each of the 9 difficulty ratings and each of the 9 terrain ratings (which we finished this year).

Overall, we found more non-traditionals than traditionals this year (which is a major change for us).

Edited by CanadianRockies

1. May/June/July 2000 caches, which I should be able to do in western OR. They are close to each other. That will finish the grid.

2. Alaska cache--cruise in May.

3. BC, Canada cache, same cruise.

4. 1/1/16 souvenir, along with the 12/31--should be easy.

5. Thinking about adding another find on the dates I only have 1. Also thought about it this year, but I really got burned out after finding 1000+ caches in 2014.

6. I always think about finding all the virtual caches in ID. Have 14 to got, anywhere from 127 to 273 miles away.

I'm thinking the first 4 are going to get done.

Goals for 2016:

- Finish the New Mexico Delorme Challenge

- Add at least two more states

- Add at least one more country

- Find our 7000th cache

- Find over 500 caches

- Hide more caches and host more events

Also want to add, since we're moving...somewhere...next summer:

- Work on county and Delorme challenges (assuming such still exist) for wherever the Army ends up putting us.

As with past years, my main goal is to keep having fun with geocaching.

I'm planning to add a new icon to my stats. I'll probably make more progress on the Bay Area Quad Challenge, although I'm working on it slowly enough that I hesitate to call it a goal for 2016...

I've been thinking about hiding another geocache or two. Maybe I can turn some of the many concepts I've come up with into actual caches. That might be a good goal for 2016.

I am less than 2 months into this and am having great fun. I had a minor goal of finding 50 caches by the end of the year and I am heading out shortly with the grandson so I can get 2 more to hit that goal.

As for the new year they would be as follows.

1. Keep my average of greater than one find per day so I guess I am looking at 366 caches or better for 2016.

2. Release some travel bugs. Very easy one as we are launching a batch as a family tomorrow the 1st.

3. Find more cache types. So far it has just been traditional. This will be relatively easy. I just need to pick some and do them.

4. Cache in another state. Not sure when or where, but I will try my best.

5. Cache in another country. Going on a cruise next month so should be easy.

6. Complete whatever challenge comes up in August from geocaching.com

7. Attend an event. There are several in the area today and tomorrow, but I can not attend them due to other engagements.

8. Above all else, relax, enjoy, get some nice hiking in and spend some time with the family.

Happy new year everyone!

Edited by GC Parrotheads

I had surgery this week to help fix a condition that limited my geocaching over the past few months. So, resolution #1 is to continue getting healthy, and to use geocaching to help with that.

I would like to make two road trips in 2016. The first would cover Minnesota and the Dakotas, and the second would center on GeoWoodstock in Denver while also visiting Wyoming and New Mexico. If that plan succeeds, I'll have finds in all 48 contiguous states, and I can make resolutions to visit Alaska and Hawaii.

Since I haven't been out geocaching much lately, I've spent a lot of time researching challenge caches for which I'm qualified or would like to qualify. I'd like to log finds on Fizzy, Jasmer and a whole lot of other classic challenges.

I would like to do less solo geocaching and schedule more geocaching outings with others.

More Virtuals. More earthcaches. My ultimate goal would be for 1000 of both, so to get closer I would have to travel to some new areas. I am not sure where, but as an unsuccessful time share salesperson once told me, when your life is over you will wish you had taken more vacations.

Goals 2016:

- Get to 30 countries (right now at 25)

- log GC40 (200 km from my front door)

- Do as many virtual, earth caches & webcams as possible (they are reallllly cool)

- Work on my Jasmer matrix (I love really old caches)

- Place a real nice cache (all my caches are on the "boring" side, I admit)

- Host my first event (I'm quite sure I'll fail on this one)

- Improve my "puzzle solving" skills (not that difficult to be honest)

- Do my first T4 cache (I'm on the "pussy" side, I know)

- Have a lot of geocaching fun (I'm certain to succeed on that one)

Edited by Ibar

1. May/June/July 2000 caches, which I should be able to do in western OR. They are close to each other. That will finish the grid.

2. Alaska cache--cruise in May.

3. BC, Canada cache, same cruise.

4. 1/1/16 souvenir, along with the 12/31--should be easy. Done--that was easy!

5. Thinking about adding another find on the dates I only have 1. Also thought about it this year, but I really got burned out after finding 1000+ caches in 2014.

6. I always think about finding all the virtual caches in ID. Have 14 to got, anywhere from 127 to 273 miles away.

I'm thinking the first 4 are going to get done.

One down, 5 to go!

I had a low-volume caching year (sub 200), but still picked up eight new states and did a big chunk of California DeLorme (Golden State and SoCal), got a May 2000 cache, and generally had a good time despite the work schedule.

I should be able to get at least two more states this year, maybe as many as five, this summer. With a bit of luck, I hope to add either the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos and maybe Canada as well.

I had a low-volume caching year (sub 200), but still picked up eight new states and did a big chunk of California DeLorme (Golden State and SoCal), got a May 2000 cache, and generally had a good time despite the work schedule.

I should be able to get at least two more states this year, maybe as many as five, this summer. With a bit of luck, I hope to add either the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos and maybe Canada as well.

I also had a low volume caching year (the least number of finds in a year since I started in 2007) and it was the first years since I started in which I didn't find any caches in a new country or state (even though I found caches in 4 countries).

This year I hope to add 4 new countries and already have plane tickets that will take me to two new countries. I'm hoping to get approval from me new boss to attend a conference that could add two other countries. I also have a voucher for airfare on an airline that I could use for a weekend trip that could add 3-4 new states or possible another country (Puerto Rico is the most likely destination).

I hope to do a little more caching than I did last year but I doubt that I'll find more than 100 caches all year.

Maybe I should add another goal: Don't walk past lame trads while doing multi's or interesting series. That could have given me at least another 100-150 extra last year :ph34r:
Yeah, I walked past lots of caches along the trail last year, on the way to/from specific destination caches. Oh well...

Mmmm, seeing some goals here, it IS about the numbers.

Maybe I should add another goal: Don't walk past lame trads while doing multi's or interesting series. That could have given me at least another 100-150 extra last year :ph34r:

Not for everyone...

I doubt that I'll find more than 100 caches all year.

I haven't found more than 100 caches in a year since 2009.

An acquaintance of my fiance has been running an Instagram account for over three years called "newbeeraday". It's just what it sounds like- he tries a new beer every single day!

I thought this was a very cool idea, so with the turn of the year I implemented my own! It's called- you guessed it: "newcacheaday".

While the undertaking is pretty massive (I don't want to stop at the end of the year, I am planning on just continuing for as long as I can) one thing that keeps me going is that finding a new cache every day has to be easier than finding a new beer to drink every single day! At least where I live...there are thousands of caches on Long Island.

Anyway if anyone is interested in following my progress I will be cataloging my adventures here: www.instagram.com/newcacheaday

Also if anyone is interested in the idea that inspired me, it can be found here: www.instagram.com/newbeeraday

Happy New Year to all and hope you all meet your resolutions :)

Edited by mockkkk

Goals for 2016:

-find at least 250 caches (same goal as last 2 years)

-do my 1000.cache (okay, only 175 left, this should be possible to be done till end of summer)

-finish some nice challenges (most of them are kinda like "find 10 caches with a German fairy-tale in title") and hope that they will exist even after 21st of April

-stay below the rate of 50% traditional caches (currently I'm at 39% ?)

But it didn't start very well... today was supposed to be my first cache day this year... No finds, 4 DNF ?

An acquaintance of my fiance has been running an Instagram account for over three years called "newbeeraday". It's just what it sounds like- he tries a new beer every single day!

I thought this was a very cool idea, so with the turn of the year I implemented my own! It's called- you guessed it: "newcacheaday".

While the undertaking is pretty massive (I don't want to stop at the end of the year, I am planning on just continuing for as long as I can) one thing that keeps me going is that finding a new cache every day has to be easier than finding a new beer to drink every single day! At least where I live...there are thousands of caches on Long Island.

Cache a day streaks are nothing new. There's a cacher from California (kablooey) that found at least one cache a day for over 10 years. If I tried to find a cache a day I doubt it would last more than a few months before I was spending at least an hour a day just to get to/from the nearest cache. A few years ago, over a 5 month period, there were less than 10 new caches placed within a 30 mile radius of where I live. I'm sure that if I were willing to drive a couple of hours each day just to find a cache I could do a one year streak. On the other hand, of the 246 countries/territories recognized by GS, 75% of them have fewer than 365 caches in the entire country.

Cache a day streaks are nothing new. There's a cacher from California (kablooey) that found at least one cache a day for over 10 years. If I tried to find a cache a day I doubt it would last more than a few months before I was spending at least an hour a day just to get to/from the nearest cache. A few years ago, over a 5 month period, there were less than 10 new caches placed within a 30 mile radius of where I live. I'm sure that if I were willing to drive a couple of hours each day just to find a cache I could do a one year streak. On the other hand, of the 246 countries/territories recognized by GS, 75% of them have fewer than 365 caches in the entire country.

I don't know how anyone can do really long streaks. I quit at 19 days--just too time consuming, and that's despite consistently having 5000 caches within 50 miles and about 600 within 10 miles. :yikes:

I don't know how anyone can do really long streaks. I quit at 19 days--just too time consuming, and that's despite consistently having 5000 caches within 50 miles and about 600 within 10 miles. :yikes:
When I did my streak (366 days), the main key was to find a cache whenever I was traveling outside my normal blast radius. That saved the caches around my normal blast radius for the days when I wasn't going to be traveling much otherwise.

1. Along with many hundreds of other cachers (I'm guessing) I'll be out to find a cache on 29 Feb to complete the date found grid.

2. Month hidden grid I'm down to Jan 02 + 8 01s + all the 00s, 4 within a day of home I want to tick off (I think it's March 2001 that us Brits have to go to Germany or Holland for - that'll have to wait!) including Wales's First.

3. I'm obsessing on a PQ of ?s <15 miles from home - 81 to go, knocked 10 off the list over the holidays. About half of the puzzles / challenges solved / qualified, just a matter of finding the things now (1 DNF already annoying me...) and solve those other puzzles. If I can get that 81 below 30 by the end of the year that will be great.

4. DT grid 2nd loop (60/81)... might drag a couple of caching pals out kayaking in the summer. A new tree climb has just gone out locally and CO promises it's the 1st of a series so that might help.

5. Various high T caches to grab, again probably as a team

6. My furthest north is pitiful - so that and some new UK counties...

7. A new country or 2 - no idea where yet but Finland on the radar which would boost 6. above plus furthest east.

8. At least 3 ideas as a CO to put into practice...

Happy caching everyone...

Wow, thanks for the great positive words, guys!

I know that caching streaks are nothing new. On Project GC, going through the first 350 pages of cachers with the highest days in a row finding a cache gets you down to people who have cached for over two years in a row. There are 30 results per page. That means that between those people on page 350 and Kablooey, there are about 10,500 people, ranging in days from Kablooey's 3712 days to someone with 800 days in a row making a find.

So yeah, there are a lot of people that do this already. A lot of people find this unfeasible because of their location. Other people wouldn't enjoy something like this.

Does any of that have any bearing on my decision to do one of my own and document it on a dedicated Instagram page? No, not at all. I wanted to have a lot more geocaching in my life, and I wanted to document each find, and this is one way for me to do that. I didn't say "Hey, I've got this great idea to find one cache every day, aren't I brilliant!?"

No one else here felt the need to negatively comment on anyone's proposed 2016 caching goals. The thread is "2016 geocaching goals or resolutions". Was one of your 2016 goals to berate other cachers ideas, tell them "wow I wouldn't do that" or tell them that their idea has "been done before"?

How about a nice "Not for me, but good luck to you!"? Grow some manners. Honestly! I can't stand rude people.

Edited by mockkkk

Wow, thanks for the great positive words, guys!

I know that caching streaks are nothing new. On Project GC, going through the first 350 pages of cachers with the highest days in a row finding a cache gets you down to people who have cached for over two years in a row. There are 30 results per page. That means that between those people on page 350 and Kablooey, there are about 10,500 people, ranging in days from Kablooey's 3712 days to someone with 800 days in a row making a find.

So yeah, there are a lot of people that do this already. A lot of people find this unfeasible because of their location. Other people wouldn't enjoy something like this.

Does any of that have any bearing on my decision to do one of my own and document it on a dedicated Instagram page? No, not at all. I wanted to have a lot more geocaching in my life, and I wanted to document each find, and this is one way for me to do that. I didn't say "Hey, I've got this great idea to find one cache every day, aren't I brilliant!?"

No one else here felt the need to negatively comment on anyone's proposed 2016 caching goals. The thread is "2016 geocaching goals or resolutions". Was one of your 2016 goals to berate other cachers ideas, tell them "wow I wouldn't do that" or tell them that their idea has "been done before"?

How about a nice "Not for me, but good luck to you!"? Grow some manners. Honestly! I can't stand rude people.

I was certainly not commenting in a negative fashion, which it seems you think I was. All I'm saying is that I don't know how people do long streaks. To me, it's just too much of an effort and I don't have the time to go out every day. So, "Not for me, but good luck to you!".

15!

Now THERE'S a goal, good job for even taking it on.

Even if you don't get a single souvenir for it.

We have two big trips planned (see my post in the Collecting Countries thread) one around Europe and one transatlantic so I'm hopeful of adding 17 countries and 6 US states. I should get half-a-dozen souvenirs and I've modified the Souvenirs page of my FSG stats to include flags for countries which don't yet have a souvenir.