New to using a GPS

thiayack

Hi

I was given a Garmin eTrex 20x GPS for Christmas. I have been using an iPhone for over a year.

When I go to www.garmin.com/geocaching it says

"Although Opencaching.com is no longer available, our devices continue to support geocaching. Several of our products come preloaded with geocaches from Geocaching.com. You can also use Geocaching.com to search and download caches directly to your Garmin device. So grab your Garmin and join in on this high-tech game of hide-and-seek being played round the world. Here’s how to get started."

"Use Geocaching.com to search for geocaches in your area that match your skill level. Then download their coordinates, hints, logs and more to your Garmin device to help you find them in the field."

I have Garmin Express and have tried to download caches with no success also tried to down load them individually with no luck. Although it told me I was successful in uploading them but did not find them on my GPS. Do I need to have a GPS that is preprogramed with geocaches? Thanks for your help

What type computer do you use? PC or Mac? I have used the eTrex20 for 3 years and it works fine. Since you are premium member you can us pocket queries(PQ). Make sure your GPS is set to mass storage mode.

Run a Pocket Query and in the email telling you that to is available, click the download link. The PQ GPX file will be wherever your computer places downloaded files. Connect the GPS to the computer and after it shows up as an external drive,open the GPS. There is a folder there labeled GPX. Open that folder and copy the PQ GPX file to the folder. Yje geocaches will be available when the GPS is in geocaching mode. If you don't know how to have it in geocaching mode read the Garmin manual first

Hi, thiayack! I recently got a Montana 680t and must admit that for the first few days I was cursing it right and left. I have used a DeLorme for a couple of years, but my eyesight needs a larger screen, hence the Garmin. You need to download Garmin Communicator at http://software.garmin.com/en-US/gcp.html . You'll get the best results using Internet Explorer; I usually use Firefox and it's hit or miss. Hope this helps; if you have more questions, feel free to email me. Good luck!!!

You need to download Garmin Communicator at http://software.garmin.com/en-US/gcp.html .

I am not sure I would say this is needed - particularly since I have never used it to load caches into my gpsr.

To load single caches, the communicator might be handy, but I find it just as easy to use the gpx button. Gpx files contain the cache information and can simply be saved to the garmin/gpx folder on the device or sd card.

To load multiple caches, the OP should become familiar with creating pocket queries. Pocket queries are a search tool that allow you to download up to 1000 caches at a time, and run such searches 10 times a day if you want. The steps outlined in the help center link above should get you started. The resulting gpx file can be transferred to the garmin/gpx folder on your unit or sd card.

There are also third party tools that can be used. Many windows users rely on gsak to search for caches and transfer the results to a gpsr. I use an iPhone app (geosphere) in a similar way, to export search results that can be sent to my gpsr through a small connecting device. But for now, I would get familiar with the basics and learn how to use pocket queries.

Edited by geodarts
Run a Pocket Query and in the email telling you that to is available, click the download link.

Some cachers have reported problems downloading directly from the download link in the email notification. If you have problems, then you can go directly to the pocket query (PQ) page and click on the PQ name from the "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab.

The PQ file that is downloaded will be a .zip file. Unzip that file on your computer, which will produce two .gpx files. One file will have "-wpts" at the end of the file name, while the other file will not. Copy both of these files to the Garmin\GPX folder of your GPS unit that is connected to your computer.

Yje geocaches will be available when the GPS is in geocaching mode. If you don't know how to have it in geocaching mode read the Garmin manual first

Using 'geocaching' mode is not required to view geocaches on your Etrex. The different modes are called 'dashboards' on the Etrex. I often use the "small data fields" dashboard, but sometimes use the "geocaching" dashboard.

Edited by noncentric

Hi, thiayack! I recently got a Montana 680t and must admit that for the first few days I was cursing it right and left. I have used a DeLorme for a couple of years, but my eyesight needs a larger screen, hence the Garmin. You need to download Garmin Communicator at http://software.garmin.com/en-US/gcp.html . You'll get the best results using Internet Explorer; I usually use Firefox and it's hit or miss. Hope this helps; if you have more questions, feel free to email me. Good luck!!!

What type computer do you use? PC or Mac? I have used the eTrex20 for 3 years and it works fine. Since you are premium member you can us pocket queries(PQ). Make sure your GPS is set to mass storage mode.

Run a Pocket Query and in the email telling you that to is available, click the download link. The PQ GPX file will be wherever your computer places downloaded files. Connect the GPS to the computer and after it shows up as an external drive,open the GPS. There is a folder there labeled GPX. Open that folder and copy the PQ GPX file to the folder. Yje geocaches will be available when the GPS is in geocaching mode. If you don't know how to have it in geocaching mode read the Garmin manual first

Wacka,

Thanks for that information. That was the simplest answer I have seen. I also received a 20X for Christmas and have been banging my head on the wall trying to figure out how to get the caches to my GPS. Will try this and see how it works.