BaseCamp 4.2.4 with Garmin 310XT?

NoBite

I realize this is an odd device to use for GPS purposes, but I would like to know if it is possible to use BaseCamp with the Garmin 310XT? Primary use is horseback trail riding. I would like to transfer custom routes to the device. I have BaseCamp installed for other GPS devices I own. Thanks for any input!

The only way to find out is to install basecamp, plug in your 310xt to your computer, and see if the two talk to each other. You might be able to retrieve tracks/activities from the watch, but I don't know how useful transferring data to the watch would be, as it's not a mapping and navigational device. That is, I'm not sure the watch has the ability to load and follow a route. It looks like you can use previously recorded routes to compare progress, but that might be the extent of functionality.

For trail riding, you might want something like an Epix or Fenix watch, or a traditional hand-held GPS.

mineral2 - Thanks for your reply! As per your advice, I took a look at the Fenix. Here is my concern, notwithstanding the cost differences. Previously I have tried the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and the Garmin Oregon 450. Both handheld devices were able to get strong signals throughout the forest where we generally trail ride. But, in both cases, there was SO MUCH information on their small screens that I had to study them very closely to understand what I was seeing. The Oregon was better in that regard and I did enjoy plotting my routes on BaseCamp and looking at them on a topo map on my computer. But, nevertheless, it was too tedious in the field to actually do me much good. The Fenix, especially the one designed for hiking, looks interesting. But, here we go again. As much information as the Oregon on an even smaller screen. I really want simplicity. Get me back to camp or my trailer if I go somewhere new. Should I take this upcoming trail or not to get to Point X? Now that I've discovered a route between two points, help me take it again, perhaps in the reverse direction. Those are the sort of uses I have in mind.

UPDATE: From several friends I have learned that the 310XT does NOT interface with BaseCamp. But, you can import and export routes to and from Google Earth and, thus, you can share routes with others. Perfect! I purchased a used unit from eBay and will give this a go. Sounds like something very useful for my purpose.