Wherigo GPSr? (not smartphone app)

ferretlady

Can anyone please tell me which GPS models still support Wherigo? I recently upgraded from an Etrex to an Oregon, and at first I thought it would work (based on what the Wherigo.com site said). I was quite disappointed to learn that only the older model Oregons will work. I'm even debating returning the Oregon if I can get another device that will support Wherigo, as it sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm one of those archaic dinosaurs who does NOT have a smart phone, and no plans of getting one - I don't use a cell phone often enough to justify another monthly bill to pay. (I still have a 7-yr-old flip-phone that works perfectly & the $30 a year I spend for pay-as-you-go minutes suits my individual needs just fine - haha)

I realize that the game is veering towards smartphone use - but surely some GPS's still support it? Or am I just out of luck? :huh:

Here's a thread that speaks to this topic from Jan 2015

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=329336

The only GSP models that ever supported Wherigo were the Garmin Montana and Oregon, and the new models in those lines do not. I run Wherigo on a Garmin 450. (For geocaching, the newer 600 works better in the way the geocaching menus are set up, but the 450 unit is fine, and will run Wherigo.)

I believe you'll have to hunt for an older used or (if you can get lucky) an older close out Garmin model. http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/oregon-comparison.html

I find the discontinued Oregons here and there on the web.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005GRM6TU/ref=olp_twister_all?ie=UTF8&mv_edition=all

I started with Wherigo with a used PDA (doing the job a smartphone would now), and a blue tooth gps to let the PDA know where it was. A somewhat complicated set up, but dirt cheap at the time...

Edited by Isonzo Karst

The only GSP models that ever supported Wherigo were the Garmin Montana and Oregon, and for at least a year now the new models in those lines do not.

Don't forget the Colorado models.

However, using a smartphone or tablet is more practical. I make screenshots at every stage of a Wherigo on my Android tablet with WhereYouGo app.

Thank you for the information, everyone! Sigh - well, perhaps I'll keep an eye out for an inexpensive older model

Don't base your decision for a GPS on the capability to run Wherigo. My experience is, that newer Wherigo are written for smart phones and hardly run on a GPS.

Ouch - I was wondering if that might be the way of things - that the individual games might be written only for smart phones now... I guess it wouldn't make much sense to get a different GPS, just so I can play Wherigo, if increasing number of the games won't run properly -- or if GPS usage is being gradually phased out...

Sigh... oh well... Thank you so much for the replies!!!