WAYPOINT QUESTION

acachebox

Is the Waypoint membership additional to the Geocaching membership?

I attempted to sign in using my Geocaching ID and it came back invalid.

If you mean "Waymarking", there's an entire forum about it:

Waymarking Subforums

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=52

B.

Do Waymarkings accrue the same as caches. I ask this because when I looked at a local Waymarking that had also been a cache when I started caching and went to record it I got a message " you have already recorded this. When I originally logged it it was logged as a cache.

No, Waymarking is completely separate from Geocaching. If you got a warning that you had already recorded the geocache, then it has nothing to do with any nearby waymarks that you may have recorded.

I recorded 1938 in West Windsor NJ in 2011 as a Virtual and now see it listed as a Waymarker. When I went to log it as a Waymarker, just to test to see what would happen, that is when I got the message that I had already logged it.

I guess my question is when logging a Waymarker do they show up on my total count to date or not. If not where do they get recorded?

No, Waymarking is completely separate from Geocaching. If you got a warning that you had already recorded the geocache, then it has nothing to do with any nearby waymarks that you may have recorded.

I recorded 1938 in West Windsor NJ in 2011 as a Virtual and now see it listed as a Waymarker. When I went to log it as a Waymarker, just to test to see what would happen, that is when I got the message that I had already logged it.

I guess my question is when logging a Waymarker do they show up on my total count to date or not. If not where do they get recorded?

The Find count is different for the two sites, which are both owned by Groundspeak, the parent company. If you go to your Waymarking Profile on the Waymarking website, you will see the number of Finds there. Likewise, your geocaching Finds will be recorded on your Geocaching.com Profile. There is no crossover. They are two distinct sites with different purposes.

If you log a Virtual cache on geocaching.com, it will show up as a Find on geocaching.com, but not the Waymarking site. If someone has subsequently turned that old Virtual into a Waymark, you would need to log it on the Waymarking website, where it would show up as a Find on the Waymarking website.

Your profile on Waymarking shows you have one Visit log to the Waymark The War of the Worlds in Weird Story Locations.

The nearest Virtual cache is 1938.

There is a Mystery (?) cache by the same name as the Waymark.

It is very interesting that you can see my account and tell me what I have as a count but I can not sign in at all. I an getting a note that my UN and PW are incorrect. I have rest the PW and gotten a validation code all to no avail.

It is a closed loop.

Edited by acachebox

Your profile on Waymarking shows you have one Visit log to the Waymark The War of the Worlds in Weird Story Locations.

The nearest Virtual cache is 1938.

There is a Mystery (?) cache by the same name as the Waymark.

It is very interesting that you can see my account and tell me what I have as a count but I can not sign in at all. I an getting a note that my UN and PW are incorrect. I have rest the PW and gotten a validation code all to no avail.

It is a closed loop.

IF you've changed the password, I'd suggest logging out of Geocaching, log back in to Geocaching, then try logging in to Waymarking...

However, having changed passwords, you may also need to log out of the FORUMS as well, before logging in to any of the sites.

It is very interesting that you can see my account and tell me what I have as a count but I can not sign in at all. I an getting a note that my UN and PW are incorrect.

If you cannot log into your Waymarking.com account, then how did you "log it as a Waymarker"? If you aren't logged into the Waymarking.com account, then the system wouldn't know whether you have logged that mark or not and wouldn't be able to give you an 'already logged it' message.

Does someone else share your computer (the computer you are using to log into the Waymarking.com website)? Maybe you tried logging the Waymark while the other person was logged in, and that other person had already logged the Waymark.

Edited by noncentric

You wouldn't happen to be thinking of "benchmarking", would you? I see you've logged one benchmark in West Windsor, NJ in 2011: KV6788 (albeit without the necessary photo). It isn't far from the 1938 Virtual cache, so maybe you've just gotten confused and combined the two in your head? If it's indeed benchmarking that we're talking about, then that will turn this discussion in a totally different direction. :laughing:

In the future, it would help greatly if you could give us a URL of whatever you're confused about. From that, we would generally be able to give more specific guidance.

I an getting a note that my UN and PW are incorrect. I have rest the PW and gotten a validation code all to no avail.

I'm starting to think the website you're trying to log into isn't a Groundspeak website at all. I just tried resetting my password from the Waymarking site, and I don't get a validation code, just a link to reset my password. Can you give us the URL of the page you're trying to log into?

The old "Virtual" cache you logged as "found" back in 2011 is "1938":

http://coord.info/GC439D

it's still an active cache.

Caches do not turn into waymarks.

There are probably waymarks near the cache location. On the cache page, there are links to "...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com" and "...all nearby benchmarks"

You've logged 1 benchmark, and that is shown in your profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=4191797

At the bottom of your listed "finds", it says: *Benchmarks are not included in Total Found

I think there's a lot of confusion here between caches, benchmarks and waymarks.

B.