Cachly - Simple and Powerful Geocaching for iPhone

Just wanted to let everyone know about my new app that was release for iOS called Cachly. It is a simple and powerful Geocaching app for iPhone.

screen322x572.jpeg

We took all the things that frustrated us about other Geocaching apps and fixed those issues, then we made the interface beautiful and simple, while still being extremely powerful for advanced users. Here are some of our best features:

- Offline caches and maps

- Translate description, hint, and logs from and to any language

- Import and export GPX files

- Advanced sorting of caches

- Route to cache using Google Maps, Apple maps and more coming soon.

- Multiple image upload when creating logs

- Log default text and keyword replacements for comment text such as cache code, date, etc.

- Drop multiple trackables into a cache

- Bookmark lists

- Hundreds of other features!

Find out more information and download: www.cach.ly

Edited by zedsaid

Cachly is a beautiful all and has become my favorite geocaching app. But I have been frustrated by frequent hangs. I can't figure out a pattern of when it will hang, but it mostly seems to happen when the compass is open. I sometimes find myself opening the official app to navigate to the cache because the compass has been more reliable. Even with this annoyance this will continue to be my go to app.

Cachly is a beautiful all and has become my favorite geocaching app. But I have been frustrated by frequent hangs. I can't figure out a pattern of when it will hang, but it mostly seems to happen when the compass is open. I sometimes find myself opening the official app to navigate to the cache because the compass has been more reliable. Even with this annoyance this will continue to be my go to app.

This issue has been fixed in the 1.1 update that was out on Friday. Make sure to get updated and those hangs will be no longer.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or feel free to contact support at cach.ly.

The day after my last post I opened up Cachly and discovered it had been updated. Sorry it took so long for me to come back and respond. Cachly has been working great since the update. I've had no problems since the update and I really like the updated compass. Thanks a lot for a great product. It is definitely the best Geocaching app that I have tried.

The day after my last post I opened up Cachly and discovered it had been updated. Sorry it took so long for me to come back and respond. Cachly has been working great since the update. I've had no problems since the update and I really like the updated compass. Thanks a lot for a great product. It is definitely the best Geocaching app that I have tried.

Thanks!!

I love Cachy also - if you are after one feature though, it would be to use the Favorite points on caches more - perhaps be able to see them in the map view? When looking at a screen full of caches, I'd like to easily be able to see which ones have the most favorite points.

I just downloaded this app 2 days ago and so far love it! I have finally found the replacement for Geocaching Classic. I love that mysteries with corrected coords have their own special icon and are placed on the map at the corrected coordinates. Wonderful! The field notes also works great as I like to make my entries from the comfort of my home, not out in the field. I love that I can see my DNF's too.

The 1 thing I've seen so far I think could use improving (or maybe I just don't know how to do it) is the offline caching. I put a cache on an offline list and put my phone in airplane mode to test how this would work if I was somewhere with no phone signal or in a another country. I seem to have difficulty with the maps populating and when they do, the zoom level isn't that great (especially for satellite). I'm also confused if I should be using the Offline maps when in this mode or Apple/Google maps. The offline ones seem to just give me a grid of squares. Actually, I wish the Offline map choices were a little further down the list as I tend to switch to street and satellite a lot and when not in airplane mode, and I keep picking the offline map choices because they are at the top of the list.

My only other complaint is the Compass Calibration screen keeps coming up at the most inopportune times. It has already locked up my screen and also doesn't let me finish calibrating it. It freezes up. Most times, I just quickly hit cancel hoping to keep it from freezing up the screen.

But, overall, great job on this app. It is definitely worth the $5.00 and is very easy to use.

Glad you are enjoying using Cachly!

The 1 thing I've seen so far I think could use improving (or maybe I just don't know how to do it) is the offline caching. I put a cache on an offline list and put my phone in airplane mode to test how this would work if I was somewhere with no phone signal or in a another country. I seem to have difficulty with the maps populating and when they do, the zoom level isn't that great (especially for satellite). I'm also confused if I should be using the Offline maps when in this mode or Apple/Google maps. The offline ones seem to just give me a grid of squares. Actually, I wish the Offline map choices were a little further down the list as I tend to switch to street and satellite a lot and when not in airplane mode, and I keep picking the offline map choices because they are at the top of the list.

Just to confirm, did you make sure to download offline maps and then turn on that offline map layer to view the downloaded maps?

My only other complaint is the Compass Calibration screen keeps coming up at the most inopportune times. It has already locked up my screen and also doesn't let me finish calibrating it. It freezes up. Most times, I just quickly hit cancel hoping to keep it from freezing up the screen.

This will be fixed in our upcoming version.

Feel free to email support through the app and I will be sure to respond ASAP!

I'm currently using the classic app and have had no issues with it. When they say it won't be supported after September, what does that mean, won't it work 😱

I honestly don't know, as I have never seen that announcement. But my understand of it is that the data will be cut off to that app, meaning it will no longer work.

Do you have the announcement somewhere?

I'm currently using the classic app and have had no issues with it. When they say it won't be supported after September, what does that mean, won't it work

It's pretty-much explained in the Help Center FAQ on the "free" app

"What’s happening with the Geocaching Classic app?

On March 23, 2016, the Geocaching Classic app will no longer be available to purchase or download in the Apple or Google Play stores. For those who currently have the app, it will continue to be supported through September 2016. Then, anyone contacting us for support will be directed to the new Geocaching® app. We'll stop doing bug fixes or other work on the Classic app so that we can focus our full attention on the new Geocaching® app.

The Classic app will have access to Geocaching functionality through September 2016. However, updates to your phone may cause the app's features to stop working. We can't guarantee the Classic app will work if you update your device after September 2016. We will keep you updated in case anything changes along the way."

Sounds to me that eventually the "classic" app will go bye-bye.

Yes it does, but all third party apps are also required to only show all cache types to Premium users, just like the official app.

Dyslexic and old, guess I'm not understanding...

I realize that only pms can view pmo caches.

Will your app allow access of "advanced" caches to basic members ?

In another thread I was told I was wrong in believing that a basic user can't access "advanced" caches with any of the third-party apps, and that only the official app has that restriction. :)

Yes it does, but all third party apps are also required to only show all cache types to Premium users, just like the official app.

Dyslexic and old, guess I'm not understanding...

I realize that only pms can view pmo caches.

Will your app allow access of "advanced" caches to basic members ?

In another thread I was told I was wrong in believing that a basic user can't access "advanced" caches with any of the third-party apps, and that only the official app has that restriction. :)

Sorry, never got an alert this has been replied to.

No, sadly Cachly does not allow Regular users to access "advanced"/premium or anything but Traditional caches. If you do have a Premium account you will be able to see everything with no restrictions.

This is a limitation of the geocaching.com API, and not one that we have implemented.

Went to the web page and the forum for the product. Looks great and I like the idea of using dropbox to port files, which I already use on all my Apple devices. We still use a laptop with software and GPS because importing Pocket Queries, using GSAK, and displaying on offline map was something we did on trips. Caches along a route is how we plan our trips. If I understand correctly .gpx files can be imported into Cachly, so I should still be able to use GC.com or GSAK to create the Pocket Query and then send the .gpx file to be imported for Cachly. Are there limitations on the size or number of caches imported as .gpx?

Are there limitations on the size or number of caches imported as .gpx?

http://www.cach.ly/support/index.php?/topic/243-offline-data-causing-crash/

There are limitations based on the device memory. The developer continues to optimize processing to allow for larger GPX files. You can have multiple GPX files copied and accessible so that's a reasonable option vs 1 large combined file.

Edited by Team DEMP

Are there limitations on the size or number of caches imported as .gpx?

http://www.cach.ly/support/index.php?/topic/243-offline-data-causing-crash/

There are limitations based on the device memory. The developer continues to optimize processing to allow for larger GPX files. You can have multiple GPX files copied and accessible so that's a reasonable option vs 1 large combined file.

Should be perfect. Generally I break my routes up with Pocket Query at 500 caches each. Partly for my DeLorme handheld GPS. 500 is a workable size for its memory. I still prefer to use a dedicated GPS in addition to my iPhone.

I downloaded and installed the app on my iPhone and iPad. Made an offline list on one, exported to Dropbox then imported on the other. Worked perfect. Got my offline map figured out (took a couple of tries) but now everything seems to be functioning. BTW I use a Garmin GLO bluetooth GPS with my iPad which has no GPS. I think I am going to like this app a lot.

Next I will do a PQ on my laptop and use Dropbox to move it to the iPhone and iPad.

Thanks for the reply and link!

Spent some time with the app this past week just to get familiar with it. No problems just normal learning curve. Several things I found that might be useful. Also likely to have been posted elsewhere but I will go ahead anyway. First is that making a list on the phone appears to hit some limitations of the Ground Speak API mainly that the caches are "lite" and without descriptions. My workaround for this was to make my offline list and then immediately do an update to the caches in the list. This seems to pull down the rest of the information and store it for offline use. But I think my best option was to create a Pocket Query on my laptop and then download the PQ on the phone. Then all the information is complete and no need to update. I also experimented with getting the .gpx file out of the PQ and putting it out on Dropbox pull it into the phone that way. Works really well. This feature I think is really powerful and lets me move the .gpx between all my devices since I have Windows, IOS, and Android. My favorite feature is the offline maps since we seem to end up in places with no cell coverage. We cached today entirely offline with no problem. I used an iPad for navigation on the bigger screen to get us to each cache area and then switched over to iPhone to hunt each cache. I actually took 3 iPhones, 2 were model 4 and 1 was an SE. The 4 is a bit under powered and updating the map could take a second or so. Not a show stopper but not nearly as quick as the SE. Love having the dots showing the last five found status with green for finds and red for DNF. Great quick way to check that without having to go to the logs. My wife and I cache together and I had her using the iPhone and I carried my DeLorme PN40 GPS. While the iPhone did a good job overall, it is hard to beat a dedicated GPS for accuracy. Don't think I will be giving up carrying the DeLorme any time soon. Where the iPhone beats the Delorme to bits is having a really good offline map and all the cache information at your finger tips. The Delorme can hold the entire PQ but scrolling through the information is not as slick as the iPhone and the larger screen is much easier to read. Bottom line for me is that I would have no problem at all caching with just my iPhone and this app. Also wanted to mention that we are using the iPad with an external bluetooth GPS. I use a Garmin GLO unit which is very accurate. We leave the GPS on the dash powered on the entire time so there is no delay waiting for the GPS to lock on after being powered down. The GPS also works with my Android tablet and Windows laptop. Just wanted to post our experience with the app after our first time out using it.

Spent some time with the app this past week just to get familiar with it. No problems just normal learning curve. Several things I found that might be useful. Also likely to have been posted elsewhere but I will go ahead anyway. First is that making a list on the phone appears to hit some limitations of the Ground Speak API mainly that the caches are "lite" and without descriptions.

My workaround for this was to make my offline list and then immediately do an update to the caches in the list. This seems to pull down the rest of the information and store it for offline use. But I think my best option was to create a Pocket Query on my laptop and then download the PQ on the phone. Then all the information is complete and no need to update.

When you download caches to an offline list one of the options is Full or Lite - Full will download descriptions, hints, logs (and optionally photos), Lite will only download title/DT rating/size etc. No need to faff around with refreshes just choose full download when saving offline.

When you download caches to an offline list one of the options is Full or Lite - Full will download descriptions, hints, logs (and optionally photos), Lite will only download title/DT rating/size etc. No need to faff around with refreshes just choose full download when saving offline.

Must have missed that check box. Went back and created a list and found it this time. Just moved the check from lite to full. Easy enough.

Thanks for the tip!

Rick

Well...... all I can say is that it's lovely and worth every penny of the £4.99 it costs here in Blighty! I'm still working my way through the vast quantity of features but all that I have seen so far is a kind of bliss compared to the new but vile GS app. Thanks zedsaid.

I noticed it mentioned OS maps somewhere on the site - does that mean actual 1:50/25,000 OS maps?

Well...... all I can say is that it's lovely and worth every penny of the £4.99 it costs here in Blighty! I'm still working my way through the vast quantity of features but all that I have seen so far is a kind of bliss compared to the new but vile GS app. Thanks zedsaid.

I noticed it mentioned OS maps somewhere on the site - does that mean actual 1:50/25,000 OS maps?

In the OSM maps I download in the US, the zoom level varies based on location, so it might also depend on the maps/location you are using. Here are 2 screen shots with the scale in the trop left. Both are zoomed in as far as I can. One shows a scale of 50/100 feet and the other 25/50 feet. The distance between the 2 map areas is less than 20 miles, so the zoom ratio could vary greatly.

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

There is a sort of OS map on the app which is called Streetview but it certainly isn't 50 or 25,000. There are no footpaths or rights of way marked on it so if that's your sort of caching then it's not that special.

What I have found is downloading the offline maps for England gives you footpaths and tracks. I can't vouch for their accuracy as I haven't tried it out yet and as far as I can see there's no legend showing rights of way or not. Hope this helps.

Ah, sorry - OS map in the UK means an Ordnance Survey map rather than an Open Street map. The Cachly website specifically mentions them, but it's not clear about whether they are the very excellent walkers scale maps (the 1:25000/1:50000) or just the street style maps.

OS maps are not offline and online only. Here's a screenshot of the area around one of your caches and then zoomed in as much as the map would allow. You can see the scale (sorry I'm configured for non-metric) in the top left. The jaggedness isn't because Cachly is doing anything, as far as I know, and is caused by the map itself.

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Edited by Team DEMP

Anyone know how to enter more stages when doing a mult-cache?

What I do is click on the main screen for the selected cache, scroll a little until you get to the Waypoints section and click it. It opens a screen where you can press + in the top right and add a new waypoint. Name it Stage 2 or whatever is relevant and enter in the coordinates. Save it. It will then be your target, or if there are multiple, click "Set as Target" for the waypoint and off you go. If you need, you can swipe the waypoint to the left to Edit or Delete it.

Does that work?

Edited by Team DEMP

Anyone know how to enter more stages when doing a mult-cache?

What I do is click on the main screen for the selected cache, scroll a little until you get to the Waypoints section and click it. It opens a screen where you can press + in the top right and add a new waypoint. Name it Stage 2 or whatever is relevant and enter in the coordinates. Save it. It will then be your target, or if there are multiple, click "Set as Target" for the waypoint and off you go. If you need, you can swipe the waypoint to the left to Edit or Delete it.

Does that work?

Works like a charm! Thank you.