Adding and subtracting coordinates

96Shadow

Okay, I'm attempting to complete a challenge. I have a list of coordinates I must tally up to come up with a new set of coordinates. The 2 columns are N and W and each have positives and negatives. I was given a hint as to what the final should look approximately like, but my tallies come nowhere near looking as advised. Guess I'm doing it all wrong. Help please?

Hard to advise without actually seeing the problem - but, cases I've seen where you had to add or subtract to a coordinate (S or E here), it referred to subtracting/adding to the decimal portion.

ie add 134 to S 33deg 20.456 ' would be S 33deg 20.590'....

It's more like this:

N +986.555

N +365.402

N +157.751

N -33.301

N + 45.880

and similar on W. Is this done as simple math based on units of 10s or is it more complicated based on 60s as in time (seconds, minutes) and I don't know about degrees???

Edited by 96Shadow

Hard to advise without actually seeing the problem - but, cases I've seen where you had to add or subtract to a coordinate (S or E here), it referred to subtracting/adding to the decimal portion.

ie add 134 to S 33deg 20.456 ' would be S 33deg 20.590'....

As above.

And.

Make sure you use the correct coordinate format!

eg

Decimal degrees

Degrees minutes and seconds

Degrees and decimal minutes

Adding/subtracting one format to/from another will give some strange answers. :laughing:

Okay, I'm attempting to complete a challenge. I have a list of coordinates I must tally up to come up with a new set of coordinates.

This sounds more like a puzzle cache than a challenge. If it really is a challenge cache, can you post the GC code here so we can look at its requirements? What you describe sounds like a very odd challenge.

However, if it's actually a puzzle cache, please don't post the GC code here. The forum guidelines prohibit the sharing of puzzle solutions, and posting the GC code could lead to someone doing just that. If it's a puzzle, the advice that's usually given is to contact the cache's owner if you need help. Most cache owners want their caches to be found, so they'll generally be happy to help you along.

Okay, I'm attempting to complete a challenge. I have a list of coordinates I must tally up to come up with a new set of coordinates.

This sounds more like a puzzle cache than a challenge. If it really is a challenge cache, can you post the GC code here so we can look at its requirements? What you describe sounds like a very odd challenge.

However, if it's actually a puzzle cache, please don't post the GC code here. The forum guidelines prohibit the sharing of puzzle solutions, and posting the GC code could lead to someone doing just that. If it's a puzzle, the advice that's usually given is to contact the cache's owner if you need help. Most cache owners want their caches to be found, so they'll generally be happy to help you along.

GC25HV7

Note: I've found all 40.

GC25HV7

Note: I've found all 40.

That is neither a puzzle nor a Challenge cache. It is a multicache.

http://coord.info/GC25HV7

There's a special "tracking sheet" where all this adding is required.

http://www.4ours.com/1parks/laosp.pdf

None of the caches in this "geo project" are puzzles or true Challenge caches.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

That is neither a puzzle nor a Challenge cache. It is a multicache.

http://coord.info/GC25HV7

Not only that, it's a Multi riddled with ALRs.

If you log the Final Cache and the above six rules were not completely followed, this log will be voided, and you will lose your claim to a prize, using this log date. Thus, your log and claim on the Final Cache will be permanently deleted.

This cache pre-dates the challenge cache requirements to include the word "challenge" in the name and list it as a "?", so it's possible this cache could be interpreted as a challenge cache. I'm not sure the photo requirements would be allowed, though. Those seem like straight, non-challenge ALRs.

Regardless, if the clues look like those posted earlier (e.g. "N +157.751") and you're getting the wrong answer when adding them up, I can only assume you've written something down wrong or done the math wrong. I see there being two options:

1. Go back to all 40 caches and verify the clues.

2. Do what it says in the listing:

6. After finding all fourty geocaches in the series. It is suggested that you email your completed your Official Clue Tracking Sheet to LAOSP for verification! The Clue Tracking Sheet must be filled out completely, with the clue from each cache in the series, including each number and its designation of N or W, and + or -. This will give the judges time to verify your claims. Hopefully, this will keep you from going on a wild goose chase.

It's more like this:

N +986.555

N +365.402

N +157.751

N -33.301

N + 45.880

and similar on W. Is this done as simple math based on units of 10s or is it more complicated based on 60s as in time (seconds, minutes) and I don't know about degrees???

I'd suggest using the simple math technique. Using the 5 numbers you noted above, the total would be 1522.287

This would then be converted to N 15 22.287

Using all 40 N numbers would likely get you a total that makes more sense as coords. Perhaps double-check that you're subtracting the negative and adding positive numbers correctly.

For Louisiana, it looks like your North total would be somewhere between 2915.xxx and 3254.xxx Are you not getting a total that's somewhere between these two?

Don't post all 40 numbers here in the forums though, as that would give away the final coords.

It's more like this:

N +986.555

N +365.402

N +157.751

N -33.301

N + 45.880

I'd suggest using the simple math technique. Using the 5 numbers you noted above, the total would be 1522.287

Using all 40 N numbers would likely get you a total that makes more sense as coords. Perhaps double-check that you're subtracting the negative and adding positive numbers correctly.

For Louisiana, it looks like your North total would be somewhere between 2915.xxx and 3254.xxx Are you not getting a total that's somewhere between these two?

Don't post all 40 numbers here in the forums though, as that would give away the final coords.

Don't worry, I only gave examples and not the actual clues. No, my total is coming out to be way up in a northern state, which I know is incorrect.

So, would adding all the negatives together and subtracting the result from the sum of all the positives be correct?

It's more like this:

N +986.555

N +365.402

N +157.751

N -33.301

N + 45.880

Don't worry, I only gave examples and not the actual clues. No, my total is coming out to be way up in a northern state, which I know is incorrect.

So, would adding all the negatives together and subtracting the result from the sum of all the positives be correct?

Yes - that would be the correct mathematical method. The sum of the negative numbers should be subtracted from the sum of the positives. If that doesn't work, then your best bet is probably to "email your completed your Official Clue Tracking Sheet to LAOSP for verification". It's possible one of your clue numbers or the positive/negative symbol is incorrect. Simple mistake. LAOSP will hopefully let you know if that's the case and help you get the correct number.