Pennsylvania State Park Caches - Permission Contact Info

Bryan

I got this today from Charlie Meade: icon_smile.gif

quote:
Dear Jenn,

After meeting with our Office of Counsel regarding this matter, the following change was made to the draft geocaching guidelines.

Geocaching is not considered an inherently dangerous or hazardous activity. The indemnity clause contained in the Geocaching form is a standard clause in agreements that are considered to be potentially hazardous. An example of such activity would include the use of a rifle range on state forest property.

Therefore, we have decided to remove #6 on the Geocache Permission Form, which reads:

6. RESPONSIBLE PARTY agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless DEPARTMENT and its agents from any claim for injury to any person or damage to any property sustained as a result of the placement or existence of the geocache or as a result of the use of the geocache by any other person with any device or for any purpose.

We anticipate that the geocache policy will become final within the next week or two. A method of distributing this information is being discussed, including the possibility of placing these documents on our web site. I will send you the final documents via email when they become available.

Charlie

Thx all!! One down with a good step forward!

From what I learned yesterday, we are not the only ones targeted for this kind of action.

Bikers, hikers, etc will be hit also.

We just happen to be the first ones.

I'd like to know how they intend to enforce all of these changes with only a handful of rangers?

This is a great accomplishment! Thanks, Miss Jenn and all others who wrote letters to achieve the change in the proposed form.

As stated by several of us, the State's form is FINE to sign, without the indemnity clause. If anyone disagrees with that, or wants a plain-English translation of what any of the other paragraphs are trying to say in legalese, please post here or e-mail me through the site.

I would now suggest that we do the following:

1. Get signed agreements for all existing caches in State parks which previously did not have permission.

2. Follow the process for all new caches, AND get to know your local park's ranger/manager to work on cache placement and selling them on our sport/hobby.

3. Show that we are good citizens by: (a) following cache-in, trash-out. (:D following the terms of the agreement by performing responsible cache maintenance, avoiding damage to natural setting, etc. © encourage others to place and maintain caches ONLY in compliance with the rules.

Separately, I am in the middle of putting together a master posting that contains links to every discussion forum where the issue of permission from state and local officials has been discussed. Don't ya think that would be useful? I'm going to argue that it should have its own forum category so that people in every state don't have to re-invent the wheel, and we can demonstrate to different park administrators how some of their counterparts in other locations have dealt with geocaching.

Well, now I'm so happy, I will be thinking about placing a LEGAL cache in a state park!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

It's not over yet! We have only just begun! We have to wait and see how they are going to implement and enforce the new policy. I have a sense that they don't really know what they are doing yet. We need to cooperate and work with them to get a policy that is fair and practical. I have sent the following letter to Mr. Meade toward that end:

Dear Mr. Meade,

Thank you for removing the offending paragraph #6 from the “Geocache Identification Form”. It is acceptable to this geocacher in its present form but I remain concerned that it is too complicated, contains too much legalese, and has provisions that cannot be enforced by the department or cache owners. It will discourage the hiding of geocaches in our state parks. That would be a shame. I am offering my own version of the “Geocache Identification Form” which has been reviewed by other geocachers on our discussion boards. This form is much easier for geocachers to understand and live with. I also think that it is more flexible. The department can make changes to the policy without changing the form. I have included this form as a Microsoft Word Document in an attachment to this email Please feel free to use it, modify it, abuse it, or throw it in the trash. I am just trying to be constructive rather than just being critical. Please allow us the opportunity to review the final draft of your geocaching policy and registration form.

I am also concerned about how this policy is going to be enforced. There are, as you know, many geocaches already hidden in Pennsylvania State Parks. I hope that you will offer an opportunity for the owners of these caches to properly register them with the state. I also want to make you aware that there is going to be a continuing problem with unauthorized geocaches being hidden in the state parks. There is no mechanism on geocaching.com or any other geocaching website to automatically make geocachers aware of regulations pertaining to any specific cache that they hide or seek. It would not be practical for them to implement such a system. It is unfortunate that all cache owners do not seek out the park managers to ask permission before they hide a cache but you should expect that this will continue to be the case. Some will hide geocaches without being aware of the regulations. Park managers will have to be vigilant and watch the website to see if there are any unauthorized geocaches in their park. I would hope that park managers will be reasonable and offer an opportunity for these persons to properly register their cache after the fact and give them a stern lecture about asking permission first. The geocaching community may be of some help in getting persons with unauthorized caches in state parks to register them but you cannot count on that since we are not a real organization with any power to sanction someone who does not play by the rules. The most that we could do is try to make everyone aware of the rules, encourage them to cooperate, and report them and their cache to the authorities. I’m not sure that I or other geocachers would be comfortable in the role of tattle-tale if you would cite them for littering but I think that you will find that the majority of us are committed to keeping geocaching safe, legal, and fun on our public lands. Thank you for your continued attention to this matter. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(aka Quest Master)

Johnny

I just read my email from Mr. Meaded and was pumped. Came right over to share it and found that everyone already knew. This is great, I couldn't be happier. We are fortunate that Mr. Meade and the State Parks were willing to listen to us and I want to thank everyone who participated as well. I would have hated to move my cache on Presque Isle.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

[This message was edited by mikechim on July 26, 2002 at 10:36 PM.]

Thanks for the follow-up. As I posted earlier, I much prefer your "plain English" form. I'd be happy with either, but maybe that's just 'cause I understand the legalese.

Your points about enforcement were excellent. Everyone who reads this should consider politely contacting caching buddies who may have an existing cache in a state park. I wouldn't mind receiving such a private e-mail... what I would NOT like is a note from a stranger who sounds like the Geocache Police. Remember, not everyone reads these forums so it's important to spread the word. I put a line about it in my profile!

One of the reasons I'm so pleased with the developments in this thread is that it is such a team effort... people from all over the state, with slightly different points of view but we all agree on a common goal. Several threads in other regions have degenerated into "flame wars" and nothing positive ever resulted. In PA, we all contributed in a positive way.

Note that this thread has set the record for the most-read discussion in the Northeast forums. I hope that people elsewhere are among the 1000+ readers, and can benefit from this example.

If you guys keep writing letters like you have been, there will never be a chance for me to send one of my "lawyer letters." And the world would be a better place.... icon_wink.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Perhaps we should include a note on cache pages for the caches in the State Parks, pointing out the necessity of getting a permit. That way every person who hunts the current caches in State Parks and are considering adding one in the area would be aware that the permit is required and is fairly easy to get. The "Permit Required" note would reach all the new and experienced players that may not be aware of the new rules.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

One of the reasons I'm so pleased with the developments in this thread is that it is such a team effort... people from all over the state, with slightly different points of view but we all agree on a common goal. Several threads in other regions have degenerated into "flame wars" and nothing positive ever resulted. In PA, we all contributed in a positive way.

They don't call us the "Keystone State" for nothing icon_wink.gif

Hopefully, this can set an example for other State Park systems to follow. I continue to be amazed at the integredity of the people involved in this passion of ours...especially my fellow Pennsylvanian's. Keep up the diligence!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

[This message was edited by smoochnme on July 26, 2002 at 09:21 PM.]

quote:

They don't call us the "Keystone State" for nothing icon_wink.gif

Hopefully, this can set an example for other State Park systems to follow. I continue to be amazed at the integredity of the people involved in this passion of ours...especially my fellow Pennsylvanian's. Keep up the diligence!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

[This message was edited by smoochnme on July 26, 2002 at 09:21 PM.]

quote:

it is such a team effort... people from all over the state, with slightly different points of view but we all agree on a common goal.

Seriously, this has been a most productive thread - and a most productive exchange of ideas beyond these forums. I like it!

Great idea to attach the sample non-legalese Word file!

Good idea about posting a note in one's profile!

Good idea, too, about posting a note within the cache pages that eventually do get the permission.

i've been watching this thread to see how things go in nearby PA (I live in Cleveland, and have done some caching in PA) IT's great to see what gets done when we get talking. But the reason i finally popped up a post is with the posting about permission on the cache page. Since Cleveland Metroparks (my local parks) is on board with geocaching (having placed 6 of their own), what they've been doing is posting a note stating that each individual cache has been approved by the metroparks. Of course this may not work in this case (i doubt PA State Parks has a geocaching ID, and the whole state is a lot larger than just one county), but I wanted to let you know that there are precedents out there (Not sure what Ohio state parks will do, but i know that they also have a permit system (but I haven't seen the legalese))

Cache well.. :

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

1st I wish to thank all of you for the tremendous amount of time and goodwill you've expended on behalf of this activity.

2ndly it might be fruitful to look at how Maryland is handling this same issue (copy of a recent posting attached):

>>>Geocaching Home » Groundspeak Forums » Northeast » MD Patapsco State Park Guidelines

Author Topic: MD Patapsco State Park Guidelines

birdsfan & birdsfan2

Geocacher posted July 29, 2002 04:03 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After working with the Patapsco State Park officials in MD, I (on behalf of The Maryland Geocaching Society) have negotiated an agreement that allows the current caches to remain in thier parks. Also, while working with Mr. Bruce Wilkins of Patapsco State Park he asked me to develop potential guidelines and a request for approval form for hiding caches in thier parks. After asking me to make a few changes he presented them to Mr. Chris Bushmen, Head of Patapsco State Park who has since approved them and forwarded them for consideration as the guidelines for all Maryland State Park systems. I will update this post if that occurs.

The Maryland Geocaching Society has added this information to the website. If you plan on hiding a cache in Patapsco State Park please review the guidelines and submit the approval form first.

www.mdgps.net/patapsco_guidelines

Also check out our website and forums for other park information as well as caches in Maryland.

www.mdgps.net

Birdsfan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS FYI, I can't imagine ANY insurance company (especially since 9/11/01) that would be willing to write a liabiity policy to COA at any cost.

Just saw this on Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint site:

23 July 2002: Geocaches on Pennsylvania State Forest Land must be Registered (Pennsylvania DCNR-Bureau of Forestry)

Geocaching Guidelines have been developed and placed into effect for the Pennsylvania DCNR-Bureau of Forestry on July 23, 2002. Existing geocaches on Pennsylvania State Forest lands will be given 30 days, starting Monday, July 29, 2002, to be removed by the geocache's responsible person for placement. The responsible person must then contact the appropriate local State Forest District Office to obtain and complete the Identification Form and Agreement to place and maintain a geocache.

Those geocaches not removed by TUESDAY, AUGUST 27, 2002, shall be treated as abandoned property and confiscated by Bureau of Forestry personnel.

Gary // Team Grayrun

In a split second, all your priorities change.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Grayrun:

I checked the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources web site. I couldn't find anything on the announcement of the deadline to remove caches. In fact, a search turned up no references to geocaching.

Gary // Team Grayrun

_In a split second, all your priorities change._

Are these procedures now in place? I wonder how they can be in place without some attempt at public notification?

I, like Team Grayrun, search their site almost daily looking for some sort of information on this. I would think they would use the internet to get information to people who participate in an activity organized through the internet! Duh!

When I see something official from them (DCNR), I will act properly. Until then, second hand information which has not been validated with any references will be ignored.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by smoochnme:

Are these procedures now in place? I wonder how they can be in place without some attempt at public notification?

I, like Team Grayrun, search their site almost daily looking for some sort of information on this. I would think they would use the internet to get information to people who participate in an activity organized through the internet! Duh!

When I see something official from them (DCNR), I will act properly. Until then, second hand information which has not been validated with any references will be ignored.

Smoochnme

http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/otn/animals/goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

This is an email I got from Charlie Meade a few days after we received word that #6 (that kinda sounds odd, anyway) was removed.

"Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

We are working on ways of getting the word out once the policy is finalized. There will be something on the DCNR website pertaining to this. We are also planning on issuing a press release....."

So I'm assuming nothing is official yet, my guess is they may have but the other info out just to make people more aware of what's going on. Then they'll say ok here's the deal.

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

This is an email I got from Charlie Meade a few days after we received word that #6 (that kinda sounds odd, anyway) was removed.

"Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

We are working on ways of getting the word out once the policy is finalized. There will be something on the DCNR website pertaining to this. We are also planning on issuing a press release....."

So I'm assuming nothing is official yet, my guess is they may have but the other info out just to make people more aware of what's going on. Then they'll say ok here's the deal.

I figured that its still sorta a waiting game. Thanks for the info.

It was those dates given on the other site that made it look "official" and caused me to wonder what was up. Agencies usually don't "probe" with information that specific.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

People who love sausage and respect the law should never see either one being made.

Why are we learning about this from Buxley’s? Did the DEPARTMENT notify geocaching.com or did geocaching.com drop the ball on this one?

I had thought that we were being more than a little premature in assuming that the application of the DCNR geocaching policy would automatically be fair and reasonable. It has recently been suggested that we may be required to sign a release at the park office before we can even look for a geocache. Intolerable! The bureaucrats are running amok and you can be sure that the Bureau of State Parks and the Bureau of Forestry are working together on this. Their language is the same. They are making and implementing policies that regulate geocaching without a public review process. They don’t even bother to tell us about it! This topic on the forums here didn’t even get started until the park manager at Presque Isle took it upon himself to send something to geocaching.com. The policy makers have failed us! I am very disgusted with this process. It just isn’t right and it may be illegal. The DEPARTMENT should consider that it could be exposing itself to a lawsuit if it confiscates a geocache. Mr. Meade, who by his own admission, is not a geocacher and is “relatively new to this endeavor” formulated and distributed a geocaching policy to park managers without any input from geocachers. Problems began right away with the “Geocache Identification Form” which remains flawed in spite of us getting one really offending paragraph removed from it. It’s too complicated, there are parts of it that just don’t make sense, and there are provisions that cannot be enforced. It appears that they have borrowed some legal language from a standard disclaimer form that would be used for a rifle range and applied it to geocaches. I said it before and I’ll say it again. We’re talking about hiding a box of toys in the woods! I believe that the DEPARTMENT is overly concerned about liability issues pertaining to geocaching which is not any more or less dangerous than other park activities. This most recent policy which has come down to us from the Bureau of Forestry is an outrage. We have to go and remove our cache and then register it before we can put it back where it came from. Are they serious? What is the point of this exercise? Are they clueless are just plain stupid? Are they really going to confiscate my cache 30 days from last week if I don’t obey some senseless rules that they didn’t even bother to tell me about? Grrrrrrrr! I can promise that I will have hidden ten unauthorized caches for every one of mine that is confiscated under these circumstances.

We have done some good work here and I remain committed to working with our public officials to get a policy that is fair and practical. We have won one battle but we can still lose the war. We must act now! We may have to live with whatever they come up with in the coming weeks. Keep up the letter writing campaign and send in as many suggestions as you can think of. Request that they give us an opportunity to comment on their policy before it is put into effect.

Maryland's State Parks is working with geocachers. Pennsylvania should do the same!

Here is some food for thought:

The Bureau of state parks is responsible for “developing, maintaining, and preserving the public lands it administers for the purpose of promoting healthful outdoor recreation and education.”

The purpose of the State Forests according to law are “To provide a continuous supply of timber, lumber, wood, and other forest products; to protect watersheds, conserve the water and regulate the flow of rivers and streams of the State and to furnish opportunities for the healthful recreation to the public”.

Johnny

Well put, Quest Master!

Our caching plans for this Saturday included placing a cache off an excellent trail in a State Forest. I guess we'll have to hike a little farther than we had planned to make sure we're beyond the State Forest boundary and into the State Game Lands . . . unless, of course, the State Game Commission posts its geocaching "policy" tomorrow.

What a load of crap . . .

Gary // Team Grayrun

In a split second, all your priorities change.

It would behoove the Forestry & State Parks Depts. to look up the DEFINITION of the word "abandoned" in good old Daniel Webster's...

abandoned: 1. wholly forsaken or deserted.

That is the first meaning given to the word. Do these folks have a better understanding of the English language than Daniel Webster or our forefathers who wrote the Constitution?

Some geocaches receive more visits than the park/forest itself would receive in an average month without the geocache. The parks folks are always SAYING that they are looking for new ways to draw in more park visitors. So which is it?

I say they're shooting themselves in the foot over this.

PS I emailed the forestry dept. address provided and that gentleman in turn referred me to a webpage listing the district offices. I then emailed the Michaux State Forest to request information and forms on geocaching and to date have received nothing. Not so much as a courtesy reply! What gives!!!

I contacted Mr. Meade to invite him to participate in our forums. We have nothing to hide. Right? This is the closest thing we have to an actual organization. I apologized personally to him for making some false statements in this forum. I think that we would all agree that he has been responsive to the geocaching community.

I received the following response from Mr. Meade at the Bureau of State Parks:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxx,

Forestry has recently implemented their geocaching policy. I have forwarded your email to the Recreation Section for their response. Parks and Forestry are separate bureaus, therefore it is not proper for me to speak on their behalf.

The geocaching community have always been welcomed to comment on our proposed policy. As a matter of fact, several suggestions I have received from geocachers has been incorporated into (or removed from) the draft.

However, a statement in the forum that one would be required to sign a release prior to looking for a geocache are baseless and unfounded. Therefore, it serves no purpose for me to respond to such irresponsible comments.

I believe I have shown a willingness to work with the geocaching community. However, unfounded statements such as this will only serve to degrade this process.

My contact information is listed on several postings on the Geocache forum. I have in the past, and will continue to address all comments and suggestions from the geocaching community. I have made it a point to personally respond to every email I receive on this matter.

The final draft is being reviewed at this time. After it is approved, but before it is implemented, I would be glad to forward it to you. You may post it on the forum if you wish.

Charlie Meade

Park Manager

PA Bureau of State Parks

Operations Section

P.O. Box 8551

400 Market Street

Harrisburg, PA 17105-8551

Voice 717-787-2191, Fax 717-783-5017 mailto:Cmeade@state.pa.us

The good news here is that we may still have an opportunity to change the proposed geocaching policy if there is anything in it that we really don't like.

The other good news is that there is no truth to the rumor that anyone will be required to hunt for a cache.

The bad news is that we have not yet heard from the Bureau of Forestry.

Johnny

Last Weekend a friend of mine was hiking and had a conversation with some DCNR employees/rangers about geocaching. I was told the conversation was very positive and in fact both of the rangers said that they would like to promote geocaching within the state parks and forests. Their biggest concern was caches placed on sensitive areas and mentioned several nearby caches they were concerned about.

I too have had similar conversations with DCNR field people and was very much encouraged with their attitude. To me, these are the people that matter the most. Their concerns about one particular cache is VERY valid. If anyone is curious about which one...send me an e-mail.

I am somewhat stunned that Forestry has implimented a new "policy" without any public notification. I'm pretty sure that something like this would at least be required to be published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin. No matter how hard I search, I can find no details on what needs to be done to register a cache on a State Forest.

So, within the next few days I will venture to each of the State Forest Offices I have caches placed and attempt to register them. I'm anxious to find out what happens. Thankfully, I only have four caches on three of the State Forest.

I hope in the future DCNR will consider a downloadable cache registration form which can be e-mailed back to the department for approval. Kinda like what we have now on geocaching.com. Boat registrations and fishing licenses, among other things, are currently being sold and distributed in this manner.

I strongly believe that both Parks and Forest will see the benefits of geocaching to their respective Bureau's mission. Most who actually work in the Parks and Forests already do. It is most important that we do not create a "Us vs Them" mentality in this process.

Lets keep doing what we have been doing. Give them our thoughts, let them process all of it, and be patient until they give us something to work with. If what they give us dosen't quite work, then we'll give them our thoughts again and restart the process until we have something both sides can work with.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

Mr. Meade has provided me with the latest DRAFT of the new geocaching policy for state parks and the latest DRAFT of the Geocache Identification Form. I am very pleased that they have removed the legal stuff icon_biggrin.gif. I emailed him to ask about the "Cache ID Number" but he didn't get back to me yet. We'll probably have to wait until Monday to find out what they mean by this. I am concerned that they may be talking about the geocaching.com waypoint number which wouldn't work since it cannot be known until the cache is listed on the website. Another possibility is a number assigned by the park managers. I guess that we would be required to get a number from the park office in advance so that we could write it on the cache container before we hide it in the park. It probably is not wise to speculate. We'll just have to wait and see what he says. In the meantime, he has said that they will be meeting again early next week to discuss this further. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Here are the documents: Did I mention that these are just a DRAFT. This means that NOBODY should be printing them out and sending them in.

DRAFT

DCNR - Bureau of State Parks

Geocaching Guidelines

BACKGROUND

Geocaching has become a new endeavor on Pennsylvania’s state park and forest lands. The idea is to have individuals set up caches all over the state and share the locations of these caches and the coordinates on the internet. Global Positioning System (GPS) users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide a wide variety of cache items. The cache visitor is asked to leave an item in the cache for the one they remove. The Geocache community uses the Internet extensively for posting cache locations.

The following guidelines apply to all geocaches on state park land:

? Placement of geocaches on lands administered by the DCNR - Bureau of State Parks requires written authorization of the Park Manager or designee. This authorization will be considered through a review process, which insures its location is compatible with other park activities.

? A geocache contact person responsible for necessary upkeep of the site must be identified prior to approval by the Park Manager or designee.

? There should be no earth disturbance or vegetative impact to any approved site. Nor should the cache be readily discernable by the general public.

? Cache(s) shall not be placed in a military ammo box or PVC pipe. A transparent type container is required (Tupperware, Gladware, Pretzel Barrel, etc.)

? Cache ID number must be clearly visible on the exterior of all geocache containers. The ID number should be placed on container(s) using a permanent type marker or weatherproof tag.

? The cache may not be placed within Natural Areas or Wild Plant Sanctuaries, or on stream banks, riparian zones, wetlands, prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, exemplary natural communities, ecologically sensitive areas, unique geological features, Dam structures, or unsafe areas.

? A cache may remain at the approved site for no more than five years at which time it must be removed, the site restored to its original condition, and the Park Manager informed in writing of the removal. This will control cache abandonment and assist in preventing renegade trail development to the site.

? Unauthorized geocaches on state park lands will be removed and treated as abandoned property, and the responsible person may be cited for littering.

? Responsible party shall delete site location(s) from all publications and/or website(s) within seven days of removal.

COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA

DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION & NATURAL RESOURCES

BUREAU OF STATE PARKS

GEOCACHE IDENTIFICATION FORM

This agreement is made this _____ day of _____________________, by and between the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of State Parks (”DEPARTMENT”) and _____________________________ (“RESPONSIBLE PARTY”).

The RESPONSIBLE PARTY desires to place a geocache at the following location(s) in ________________________________________ State Park:

SITE NAME (if any): ___________________________________________

ID # _______________

TOWNSHIP: _________________________________________________

COUNTY: ___________________________________________________

LATITUDE: __________________________________________________

LONGITUDE: ________________________________________________

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS (if needed)_________________________

SITE NAME (if any): __________________________________________

ID # _______________

TOWNSHIP: ________________________________________________

COUNTY: __________________________________________________

LATITUDE: _________________________________________________

LONGITUDE: _______________________________________________

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS (if needed)________________________

SITE NAME (if any): _________________________________________

ID # _______________

TOWNSHIP: _______________________________________________

COUNTY: _________________________________________________

LATITUDE: ________________________________________________

LONGITUDE: ______________________________________________

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS (if needed)_______________________

ID # _______________

The DEPARTMENT is willing to permit the RESPONSIBLE PARTY to place the above geocache(s), subject to the following conditions:

1. Geocache container description (size, color, container, material): ______________________________________________________________________

2. This permission is in effect for the period beginning _______________ through _____________________ (not to exceed 5 years); however, the permission may be revoked at any time by the DEPARTMENT acting through a Park Manager or designee.

3. REPONSIBLE PARTY is not permitted to do the following:

a. Earth disturbance or vegetative impact to the approved geocache site.

b. Move or alter approved geocache location.

c. Allow the insertion of hazardous or pornographic materials in the geocache container.

d. Place cache(s) on a Dam structure

d. Other (state “no other conditions” or list other conditions): ___________________________________________________________

4. The cache may not be placed within Natural Areas or Wild Plant Sanctuaries, or on stream banks, riparian zones, wetlands, prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, exemplary natural communities, ecologically sensitive areas, unique geological features, Dam structures, or unsafe areas.

5. Park Manager or designee shall be notified by the RESPONSIBLE PARTY when the cache is moved or removed.

__________________________________ ________________________________

Printed Name of Responsible Party Responsible Party signature

Street

City State Zip

(____)_____________________________

Phone Email address

Park Manager or designee date

Original – Park Office files

Copies to – Regional Park Office, Central Office Operations Section

It bears repeating one more time for good measure: These documents are draft versions of the policy and permission form. Don't Use Them!

Johnny

Mr. Meade has provided me with the latest DRAFT of the new geocaching policy for state parks and the latest DRAFT of the Geocache Identification Form. I am very pleased that they have removed the legal stuff icon_biggrin.gif. I emailed him to ask about the "Cache ID Number" but he didn't get back to me yet. We'll probably have to wait until Monday to find out what they mean by this. I am concerned that they may be talking about the geocaching.com waypoint number which wouldn't work since it cannot be known until the cache is listed on the website. Another possibility is a number assigned by the park managers. I guess that we would be required to get a number from the park office in advance so that we could write it on the cache container before we hide it in the park. It probably is not wise to speculate. We'll just have to wait and see what he says. In the meantime, he has said that they will be meeting again early next week to discuss this further. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Here are the documents: Did I mention that these are just a DRAFT. This means that NOBODY should be printing them out and sending them in.

DRAFT

DCNR - Bureau of State Parks

Geocaching Guidelines

BACKGROUND

Geocaching has become a new endeavor on Pennsylvania’s state park and forest lands. The idea is to have individuals set up caches all over the state and share the locations of these caches and the coordinates on the internet. Global Positioning System (GPS) users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide a wide variety of cache items. The cache visitor is asked to leave an item in the cache for the one they remove. The Geocache community uses the Internet extensively for posting cache locations.

The following guidelines apply to all geocaches on state park land:

? Placement of geocaches on lands administered by the DCNR - Bureau of State Parks requires written authorization of the Park Manager or designee. This authorization will be considered through a review process, which insures its location is compatible with other park activities.

? A geocache contact person responsible for necessary upkeep of the site must be identified prior to approval by the Park Manager or designee.

? There should be no earth disturbance or vegetative impact to any approved site. Nor should the cache be readily discernable by the general public.

? Cache(s) shall not be placed in a military ammo box or PVC pipe. A transparent type container is required (Tupperware, Gladware, Pretzel Barrel, etc.)

? Cache ID number must be clearly visible on the exterior of all geocache containers. The ID number should be placed on container(s) using a permanent type marker or weatherproof tag.

? The cache may not be placed within Natural Areas or Wild Plant Sanctuaries, or on stream banks, riparian zones, wetlands, prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, exemplary natural communities, ecologically sensitive areas, unique geological features, Dam structures, or unsafe areas.

? A cache may remain at the approved site for no more than five years at which time it must be removed, the site restored to its original condition, and the Park Manager informed in writing of the removal. This will control cache abandonment and assist in preventing renegade trail development to the site.

? Unauthorized geocaches on state park lands will be removed and treated as abandoned property, and the responsible person may be cited for littering.

? Responsible party shall delete site location(s) from all publications and/or website(s) within seven days of removal.

BUREAU OF STATE PARKS

GEOCACHE IDENTIFICATION FORM

This agreement is made this _____ day of _____________________, by and between the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of State Parks (”DEPARTMENT”) and _____________________________ (“RESPONSIBLE PARTY”).

The RESPONSIBLE PARTY desires to place a geocache at the following location(s) in ________________________________________ State Park:

SITE NAME (if any): ___________________________________________

ID # _______________

TOWNSHIP: _________________________________________________

COUNTY: ___________________________________________________

LATITUDE: __________________________________________________

LONGITUDE: ________________________________________________

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS (if needed)_________________________

SITE NAME (if any): __________________________________________

ID # _______________

TOWNSHIP: ________________________________________________

COUNTY: __________________________________________________

LATITUDE: _________________________________________________

LONGITUDE: _______________________________________________

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS (if needed)________________________

ID # _______________

ID # _______________

The DEPARTMENT is willing to permit the RESPONSIBLE PARTY to place the above geocache(s), subject to the following conditions:

1. Geocache container description (size, color, container, material): ______________________________________________________________________

2. This permission is in effect for the period beginning _______________ through _____________________ (not to exceed 5 years); however, the permission may be revoked at any time by the DEPARTMENT acting through a Park Manager or designee.

3. REPONSIBLE PARTY is not permitted to do the following:

a. Earth disturbance or vegetative impact to the approved geocache site.

c. Allow the insertion of hazardous or pornographic materials in the geocache container.

d. Place cache(s) on a Dam structure

d. Other (state “no other conditions” or list other conditions): ___________________________________________________________

4. The cache may not be placed within Natural Areas or Wild Plant Sanctuaries, or on stream banks, riparian zones, wetlands, prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, exemplary natural communities, ecologically sensitive areas, unique geological features, Dam structures, or unsafe areas.

5. Park Manager or designee shall be notified by the RESPONSIBLE PARTY when the cache is moved or removed.

__________________________________ ________________________________

Printed Name of Responsible Party Responsible Party signature

Street

City State Zip

(____)_____________________________

Phone Email address

Park Manager or designee date

Original – Park Office files

Copies to – Regional Park Office, Central Office Operations Section

It bears repeating one more time for good measure: These documents are draft versions of the policy and permission form. Don't Use Them!

Johnny

Mr. Meade (Bureau of State Parks) explains the Cache Identification Number:

Our intent with the ID# was to have the park office assign a number to aid with identification of the cache should someone come across it accidentally. Or, another method of identification being considered is what you mention in your email.

The ID# block on the ID Form has been removed and replaced with "site name" as we agree with your comment that an assigned # would require the cacher to make two trips to the park office.

As I mentioned in one of my previous email, our main concern is having a visitor coming across a cache box, and assuming it may be some sort of detonation device. I know this may sound like we are being alarmists, but since the events of 9/11 this type of scenario is possible. Having an identification name on the cache box would allow the park office or ranger to associate the box with a cache.

Johnny

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx:

The Geocaching Guidelines, Identification Form and Agreement are currently available to those individuals wishing placement of a geocache on Pennsylvania State Forest lands by visiting one of our local forest district offices. The office locations are available at the following website address: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/dcontacts.htm. There is no fee associated with geocache placement on Pennsylvania State Forest lands.

The statement below is what was electronically mailed to four geocaching websites.

STATEMENT MISSING

I have requested that the anonomous person that sent this get back to me with the missing statement. It's probably pretty close to what appeared on Buxley's.

mailto: forestrecreation@state.pa.us

Johnny

quote:
Originally posted by Quest Master:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx:

The Geocaching Guidelines, Identification Form and Agreement are currently available to those individuals wishing placement of a geocache on Pennsylvania State Forest lands by visiting one of our local forest district offices. The office locations are available at the following website address: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/dcontacts.htm. There is no fee associated with geocache placement on Pennsylvania State Forest lands.

The statement below is what was electronically mailed to four geocaching websites.

_STATEMENT MISSING_

I have requested that the anonomous person that sent this get back to me with the missing statement. It's probably pretty close to what appeared on Buxley's.

mailto: forestrecreation@state.pa.us

Johnny

I'm wondering if the Form used for the Bureau of Forest is the same (or similar) as the one for the Bureau of State Parks. If not, why not?

I stopped at two district offices this past Sunday. Both were closed, which I sorta expected. I'm going to try again this week.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

1. I'm VERY happy with the changes made to the State Parks policy/forms. It should be approved as-is, because the revised version fairly takes into account all the comments that everyone provided. It is even written more in English instead of Legalese! I plan on writing a thank-you note to Mr. Meade for his efforts and indicating my willingness to work with him and local park rangers.

2. Thanks for posting info. (or lack thereof) on State Forests. We should request that their policy be the same as for the Parks. It might be a good idea to WAIT until those who have already communicated with the Forestry Dept. get an answer back and post it here.

Over the weekend, I made a point of visiting two State Parks that I had never visited before, just to find the caches there. Geocaching has now introduced me to Raccoon Creek State Park and McConnell's Mills State Park!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I got a reply from the Bureau of Forestry about the missing statement. I tried to post it here yesterday but the text of it had a "trigger word" which prevented it from being put up on this forum in a timely manner. I guess it is still stuck in the Groundspeak "message queue" somewhere. The gist of it is that the statement which appeared on Buxley's was also emailed to geocaching.com and two other geocaching websites on July 26. I will not mention them by name because I have a hunch that this may be the "trigger word". This confirms that the State Forests have a policy and that it has already been put into effect.

I went to the District Office of Forbes State Forest today to obtain a copy of the policy and permission form. The assistant district ranger there told me that he did not have a printed copy of the forms to give to me yet. He promised to mail them. One would think that they would not establish a policy and set deadlines for compliance without public input first. They could at least let us see their rules before they begin to enforce them. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Ready... Fire... Aim...

[This message was edited by Quest Master on August 06, 2002 at 01:44 PM.]

Here is the text of my e-mail, which I sent to Mr. Meade this evening:

quote:

Mr. Meade,

Could you please forward to me the most current draft of any documents related to placing a geocache in PA state parks/forests including application for placement and policies.

I have been following this policy development through the Geocaching web forums and I am encouraged by the willingness of your office to work with geocachers in developing a sensible policy.

My main concern at this time is that there is a current deadline in place, while the policy and forms are still being developed. Also, it would be helpful to get ANY info on this subject onto the states website ASAP (even while in development). I feel this would be the best way to ensure that all parties, including land managers, have access to current and accurate info, rather than having to pass it back and forth through different parties on the message boards, via e-mail, etc. I have read or heard several different things on a couple of issues: Is this policy for State Parks, State Forests, or both? Will the forms be the same for both jurisdictions? Is the time limit for caches to remain in place 2 years or 5? Why don't some land managers know about this emerging policy?

I look forward to hearing back from you and working with you, the entire DCNR, and my fellow geocachers to make this a positive process.

Greg Rotz

Your comments are welcome.

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

I received my packet today from Mr. Neal E. Mishler, Forester, Michaux State Forest containing the Bureau of Forestry policy on geocaches on PA State Forests as well as their authorization of geocache sites form.

The Identification Form & Agreement is to be made available through the Bureau's Intraforestry-Recreation website but is not at the present time. The telephone #717-787-2703 is for the DCNR who issued the "Geocaching Guidelines, Identification Form & Agreement."

The Guidelines themselves do not pose a problem, my concern is witht eh Geocache Identification Form & Agreement itself...it reads like a lawyers' dream come true. Much of the same objectionable wording like paragraph #6 in the State Parks pending form are HERE. I quote:

6."RESPONSIBLE PARTY releases FORESTRY and its agents from any claim arising from injury to RESPONSIBLE PARTY or any other person or damage to any property which might be sustained as a result of RESPONSIBLE PARTY'S engaging in geocaching."

7."FORESTRY does not assume responsibility or liability for injury to any person or damage to any property sustained as a result o the placement or existence of the geocache, or use of the geocache by any person with any device or for any purpose."

8."RESPONSIBLE PARTY will be liable for the costs associated with site damage repair and the removal of hazardous or illegal material."

9."FORESTRY does not assume responsibility or liability for RESPONSIBLE PARTY'S safety or teh consequences of RESPONSIBLE PARTY'S engaging in geocaching."

Other concerns are that the form must be reviewed and approved PRIOR to cache placement...this would necessitate more than 1 trip to a cache site for placement. In our case, we select areas that are an hour or so away at times, thereby causing inconvenience. Certainly killing spontaneity.

The FORESTRY dept. is only allowing 2 yrs. as opposed to the State Parks' 5 yrs. The policy also allows for revocation AT ANY TIME & only allowing 48 hrs. for REMOVAL.

My biggest concern is the inconsistencies between the 2 departments. One would think it most expeditious & efficient for them to collaborate. The Parks Dept. forms are still in the planning stages whereas the Foresty has been adopted by what would appear to be The Bureau's Recreation Committee (office staff NOT field staff). It seems no input was sought from either the geocaching community, the general public (the REAL property owners or the State Parks).

What leaves a bad taste in my mouth is their own wording on the Michaux State Forest PUBLIC USE Map sent in my packet under the heading "FACTS about State Forests in Pennsylvania" ..."The state forests BELONG to the people of Pennsylvania, and they are MANAGED and PROTECTED FOR them and future generations...Within the BROAD limits of the state forest regulations, visitors should observe a few simple rules. They should be careful with fire, be careful not to damage trees and other plants, keep the forest litter free and obey the game and fish laws"

My family & I (like the MAJORITY of geocachers) adhere to all of the above rules UNLIKE other forest & parks visitors. We have been grossly appalled at the number of items left littered around these areas by the other visitors. IMHO, goeachers are a higher caliber of visitor - one that the parks/forests should be courting rather than making it less desirable for our visits. Since there are already rules in existence, why add more? Especially not using the existing due process????

In light of the 9/11 acts of terrorism, I certainly can understand their stance but we're talking a wholesome family pursuit and a box of toys in the woods. These coordinates are listed PUBLICLY on the internet and visited frequently by the geocaching community. A simple informational form much like the current revisions the State Parks are considering AND the Maryland Parks should be sufficient to weed out any "copycat" geocaching terrorism.

ANOTHER concern is that several State Parks are on State Forestry property - where do we draw the line??? For example, 3 parks - Caledonia, Pine Grove & Mt. Alto are on Michaux State Forest. Would seem more efficient to streamline the process to 1 form for BOTH parks/forestry depts. Couldn't they have picked a liason team for the creation of this policy/form?

I hate to drone on & on & sound ultra negative but I will probably need to talk to my local politician and contact the same news team who reported geocaching so favorably if this does not get resolved to our favor. I am very shocked that this new forestry policy was ever adopted without due process of law...what about the "sunshine LAW"???

Just curious. I have extended a serious offer to assist and acquaint Mr. Mishler on a geocaching hunt as well as answer any questions his staff might have. I want this public property to REMAIN public.

quote:
Originally posted by CCCooperAgency:

I hate to drone on & on & sound ultra negative but I will probably need to talk to my local politician and contact the same news team who reported geocaching so favorably if this does not get resolved to our favor. I am very shocked that this new forestry policy was ever adopted without due process of law...what about the "sunshine LAW"???

As you recall, we were at this point just a few short weeks ago with the State Park authorities. Geocaching is relative new to the regulators. And, as we have noted by past experience, they take a conservative and careful approach to the unknown.

Although similar in nature, Forestry is a separate agency with their own unique mission. Let's work with them, keep them informed and give them a chance to evaluate and moderate their position. I'm sure they are every bit as reasonable as the the State Park people given the opportunity to move along the learning curve.

Let's give them the opportunity to catch up with what is being established by the good people at the State Park Administration before we rant on them. icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

quote:
Originally posted by CCCooperAgency:

As you recall, we were at this point just a few short weeks ago with the State Park authorities. Geocaching is relative new to the regulators. And, as we have noted by past experience, they take a conservative and careful approach to the unknown.

Although similar in nature, Forestry is a separate agency with their own unique mission. Let's work with them, keep them informed and give them a chance to evaluate and moderate their position. I'm sure they are every bit as reasonable as the the State Park people given the opportunity to move along the learning curve.

Let's give them the opportunity to catch up with what is being established by the good people at the State Park Administration before we rant on them. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

Cachier:

How did you get those words out of my mouth so fast? icon_wink.gif

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

Cachier:

How did you get those words out of my mouth so fast? icon_wink.gif

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

Intolerable! It appears that the Bureau of Forestry got their permission form from the same place that the State Parks people got theirs. That thing was a piece of crap and this is too! Maybe the consulted with the same office of legal council. Who knows? I think that they borrowed from a gas well drilling contract to come up with this one. It's actually pretty funny in a tragic sort of way. It would have been nice if Cooper could have posted the whole agreement here on the forums but he probably typed his fingers to the bone just doing the half of it!

Cachier is exactly right. We did it before and we can do it again. We have to get the email campaign going again. Since we do not yet know the name of a contact person at the Bureau of Forestry, I would recommend that correspondence be directed to:

forestrecreation@state.pa.us

I have had something of a dialoge going through this channel. The district foresters such as Mr. Mishler are generally going to be too busy and not have the authority to deal with this issue. They tend to be more concerned about timber resources and land managment issues. Forestry may be more difficult to deal with since recreational issues are a lower priority for them.

I have to believe that we can work something out with these guys also. They too will realize that a geocache is not a gas well and should not be treated as such. They may not like it but the state forests are public land and it is a part of their mandate to provide opportunites for outdoor recreation. They know well that the state forests belog to all of us and that we can take up the matter with our local legislators if necessary.

Johnny

RE: Geocaching in Pennsylvania State Forests

Dear Forestry Administrative Officials,

I recently had the pleasure of discovering the Fern Rock Nature Trail at the Wyoming State Forest in Sullivan County. This is one of the nicer forest hikes that I have experienced in Pennsylvania.

An individual who recognized this area for its outstandingly beautiful and diversity recommended this hike. He advised picking up a trail guide before hand to learn about the forest ecology explained at the various stations. He obviously felt compelled to share his knowledge of this place with others. He did this by issuing an invitation to visit by placing a Geocache along a well-established trail within this area.

Geocaching is a relatively new activity being done on public lands. It involves locating a 'cache' by using a GPS receiver and personal land navigation skills. Geocaching appeals widely to young and old alike and is rapidly becoming an educational family fun activity. It gives people a renewed purpose to enjoy the great outdoors as an added activity to a hike, picnic outing or a camping weekend.

Through the Northeast forum at www.geocaching.com, I recently learned of your yet unpublished guidelines and permit request forms that are coming available for placing geocache in public forests. I'm sure you realize that Forestry is not the only public land management agency now concerned with developing guidelines and a permitting process to allow this growing activity.

The Pennsylvania Geocaching community represented at this forum has conducted some very constructive and informative discussions to share with Pennsylvania State Park and other public land management agencies. I would invite you to visit this forum in hope that it will assist you in reaching a mutually tenable resolution for allowing this activity.

If I can be of assistance, please call or write. I not a forest management or outdoor recreation professional. However, I'm willing to offer my opinion and personal experiences as a Geocacher to add some depth to your decision making process.

Sincerely,

Gary Hozempa

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Email: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Nice work, all! I finally got around to reading this over after my CA vacation. All of you have said things so well that I'm at a loss for anything to contribute other than positive reinforcement.

Let me try it again here:

Great job!

Starlight

If there's a wrong way to get to where we're going, chances are we can find it.

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

I think they were all seperatebagencies at one time

[This message was edited by headmj on August 08, 2002 at 11:00 AM.]

Actually, No.

They were always together but both used to be under a bigger agency, along with the current DEP, called DNR (I think?). Former Governor Ridge, soon after he was elected, seperated the agency (DNR) into the current DEP and DCNR.

I work for a "sister" agency who does work with both bureaus, but usually with people at the individual State Park or State Forest levels. DCNR is very large and spread out. It is not surprising that each Bureau has developed its own "mission".

In dealing with them on other issues, I'm very confident that if we continue to work with them, things will be fine.

I know it's tough, but please try to avoid the knee-jerk reactions. When corresponding with them, always take the high road. Cachier's letter was perfect!

Patience helps too. Do not expect them to act or react as fast as we would like. Our government is designed to be slow so nothing can happen without adaquate review. Like it or not, thats the way our Founding Fathers set it up.

Hang in there all,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

Department of Conservation and Natural Resources

July 23, 2002

717-787-2703

SUBJECT: Geocaching Guidelines, Identification Form and Agreement

TO: Forest Districts

Division Chiefs

Penn Nursery Supervisor

State Forester

Attached are the guidelines and agreement for geocaching on state

forest

lands. These guidelines enable the Bureau to control the amount

and locations

of geocaches while maintaining the wild character of State

Forests. The

Bureau's Recreation Committee developed these documents with

comments

and suggestions from several Forest Districts and Central Office

staff. The

Identification Form and Agreement is available through the Bureau's

Intra forestry-Recreation website. These guidelines and agreement

are effective

immediately.

BACKGROUND

Geocaching has become a new endeavor on Pennsylvania's state

forest lands.

The idea is to have individuals set up caches all over the state

and share the

locations of these caches and the coordinates on the internet.

Global

Positioning System (GPS) users can then use the location

coordinates to find

the caches. Once found, a cache may provide a wide variety of

cache items.

The cache visitor is asked to leave an item in the cache for the

one they

remove.

The following guidelines apply to all geocaches on state forest

land:

ù Placement of geocaches on lands administered by the DCNR-Bureau

of

Forestry requires written authorization of the District Forester

or

designee. This authorization will be considered through a review

process, including a Pennsylvania Natural Diversity Inventory

search,

which insures its location is compatible with other forest

activities.

ù A geocache contact person responsible for necessary upkeep of

the site

must be identified prior to approval by the District Forester.

Page 1 of 2

ù There should be no earth disturbance or vegetative impact to any

approved site.

ù The cache may not be placed within Natural Areas or Wild Plant

Sanctuaries, or on stream banks, riparian zones, wetlands,

prehistoric

and historic archaeological sites, exemplary natural communities,

ecologically sensitive areas, unique geological features, or

unsafe areas.

ù A cache may remain at the approved site for no more than two

years at

which time it must be removed, the site restored to its original

condition,

and the District Forester informed in writing of the removal.

This will

control cache abandonment and assist in preventing renegade trail

development to the site.

ù Unauthorized geocaches on state forest lands will be removed and

treated as abandoned property.

Page 2 of 2

BUREAU OF FORESTRY

GEOCACHE IDENTIFICATION FORM AND AGREEMENT

This agreement is made this day of , by and between the Department

of

Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Forestry

("FORESTRY") and

("RESPONSIBLE PARTY").

RESPONSIBLE PARTY'S contact information:

Address:

City & State:

Telephone: (home) (work)

E-mail address:

The RESPONSIBLE PARTY desires to place a geocache at the

following location in

S tate Forest, District #

SITE NAME (if any):

GEOCACHE WEBSITE ADDRESS:

TOWNSHIP:

COUNTY:

LATITUDE:

LONGITUDE:

FORESTRY is willing to permit the RESPONSIBLE PARTY to place the

above

geocache on state forest land, subject to the conditions listed

below:

1. Geocache container description (size, color, container

material):

2. This permission is in effect for the period beginning through

(not to

exceed 2 years); however, the permission may be revoked at any

time by FORESTRY acting

through a District Forester or designee.

3. PNDI Screening Results (attach PNDI Internet Database Search

Results):

No potential conflicts.

P otential conflicts.

4. REPONSIBLE PARTY is not permitted to do the following:

a. Disturb or impact the soil or vegetation at the approved

geocache site.

c. Allow the insertion of hazardous or illegal materials in the

geocache

container.

d. Other (state "no other conditions" or list other conditions):

5. RESPONSIBLE PARTY will remove geocache on or before the date of

expiration

of this permission and inform the District Forester in writing of

the removal; however, if this

permission is revoked, RESPONSIBLE PARTY will remove the geocache

within 48 hours

upon being informed of the revocation by the District Forester or

designee.

6. RESPONSIBLE PARTY releases FORESTRY and its agents from any

claim

arising from injury to RESPONSIBLE PARTY or any other person or

damage to any property

which might be sustained as a result of RESPONSIBLE PARTY'S

engaging in geocaching.

7. FORESTRY does not assume responsibility or liability for injury

to any person or

damage to any property sustained as a result of the placement or

existence of the geocache,

or use of the geocache by any person with any device or for any

purpose.

8. RESPONSIBLE PARTY will be liable for the costs associated with

site damage

repair and the removal of hazardous or illegal material.

9. FORESTRY does not assume responsibility or liability for

RESPONSIBLE

PARTY'S safety or the consequences of RESPONSIBLE PARTY'S

engaging in geocaching.

10. This agreement may not be construed as a waiver of any

immunity FORESTRY

may have.

Printed Name of Person Signing Agreement Responsible Party

Signature

Printed Name of Person Signing Agreement District Forester or

Designee Signature

Well, this form looks a lot like the second draft of the Parks form, before QuestMaster and others helped convince them that a plain English form would work much better. I still wish that Forestry would just adopt the exact same form as Parks. (Scroll up to see that friendlier, non-legalese form posted in this thread.)

That being said, if Forestry insists on sticking with this form, I have one problem with it and that is the paragraph on the cache hider being responsible for all costs for site damage, repair and removal of hazardous or illegal material. I have no control over what someone else places in a geocache that I hide. I also cannot control a group of ten cache hunters who slide up and down a hillside, causing erosion and plant damage, when my cache is hidden at the bottom of the hill. Yet under this paragraph, the State can send me a bill for calling in the hazmat team or a work crew with rakes and shovels.

Well, at least this form doesn't have the dreaded indemnification clause, but this cost provision is close to that. We're not quite there yet. But PLEASE remember that, unlike many other States, at least Forestry is developing a policy and a form instead of just saying "no." I suggest a polite effort to move them a little bit more towards the approach ultimately arrived at by the Parks Bureau.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

• A deadline is looming while the policy is still in development
  • After e-mailing forestry on Wed. evening, I still have not had a reply

Even though I am trying to "play by the rules", I shouldn't be expected to do that if I can't get the information I need.

Also I have a problem with the two-year limit. One of my caches is hidden on a rock formation with many ESTABLISHED trails in the surrounding area due to rock climbers and view-seekers. Those activites have not been limited to a two-year time span, and my cache is hidden such that it would not be found by the general public and NO FURTHER DAMAGE is done to the area. It's a step I've taken upon myself to minimize the impact upon the area. If that area is indeed impacted, then it should be closed to ALL activites so that it can repair itself. If not, then there is no reason for that cache to be removed after a certain amount of time!

I agree with The Leprechauns about the liability for repairs & clean-up. Who's to say that such a situation would be caused by a cacher. If a careless hunter or hiker (example only, not a blanket opinion on hunters/hikers!) were to toss a cigarette butt down near one of my cache sites and a forest fire ensued, would the investigators determine the origin site and bill me because it happened to be at/near my cache site?

I will not be signing this form with it's current language.

Does anyone know of a direct contact at forestry? Mr. Meade suggested I send my mail to forestrecreation@state.pa.us (which I did). I thought perhaps a different address might yield faster results.

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

[This message was edited by gnbrotz on August 09, 2002 at 03:37 PM.]