Garmin 64s not showing Pocket Query Geocaches

jimbobsayer

I recently bought a Garmin GPSMAP 64s for geocaching. I tried loading PQ GPX files onto the garmin, but they don't appear in the device map, or on the list. (They do appear in Basecamp when the device is connect via USB)

I'm using a talkytoaster UK OSM map on an SD card - and have tried gpx files loaded on both SD card and the device itself.

The geocache function on the 64s is showing the preloaded caches, but not the new ones from the PQ.

I'm still finding my way round the 64s and I expect I'm doing something wrong - but its driving me NUTS, so any help will be very gratefully received!

Edited by jimbobsayer

The default zoom setting for geocaches requires zooming in the map pretty close before they show up. Change the map zoom setting for geocaches to Auto to correct this.

As for not showing in the list view, if the caches are more than 150 miles away or so, you have to either pan the map to that area or use the "search near" function and specify a nearby city first.

1. did you unzip the PQ file?

2. Did you put the .gpx files in the GPX folder?

3. Delete the geocaches that come with the unit. They are woefully out of date by now.

4. Are the geocaches in your PQ near your location? If they're far enough away (500 miles or so), they may not show up.

Thanks for this. The caches are all around my home - so its not the distance that is preventing them from showing up. I did unzip the PQ and put both files in the GPX folder. I tried this on the Micro SD card initially, and when this didnt work I started over, and put them on the Garmin GPX folder directly. Which also didnt work.

I'll delete the preloaded geocaches - but I'm a bit lost as to why the new ones wont show...

3. Delete the geocaches that come with the unit. They are woefully out of date by now.

4. Are the geocaches in your PQ near your location? If they're far enough away (500 miles or so), they may not show up.

Thanks for this. The caches are all around my home - so its not the distance that is preventing them from showing up. I did unzip the PQ and put both files in the GPX folder. I tried this on the Micro SD card initially, and when this didnt work I started over, and put them on the Garmin GPX folder directly. Which also didnt work.

I'll delete the preloaded geocaches - but I'm a bit lost as to why the new ones wont show...

I have this problem, or a similar one. They did not show up until I selected a Geo from the Geo list and set GO. The one I selected and that one only appeared on the map. I have changed the settings on display to Auto and they now show on the map, but only as flags, not boxes with no differential between found and not found. How can I get them to show as boxes?

You may not have your zoom levels set correctly.

Go to the MAP page

[MENU]

Setup Map

[Enter]

Advanced Map Setup

[Enter]

Zoom Levels

[Enter]

You will see Geocaches or User Waypoints

[Enter]

Select 8mi as you zoom level for example

Quit back to the main menu

Select [Find] Geocaches and select one

Make sure your zoom level is 8mi

Navigate toward it and you should see that cache and all the others.

Hope this helps.

Peoria Bill :)

They're not appearing in the map or list, so I doubt zoom levels is the problem.

One thing that hasn't been covered yet are filters. When you're on the geocaching "app", head over to the filters tab and make sure the filters aren't set in such a way as to exclude all caches (try the built in "Show All" filter).

You may not have your zoom levels set correctly.

Go to the MAP page

[MENU]

Setup Map

[Enter]

Advanced Map Setup

[Enter]

Zoom Levels

[Enter]

You will see Geocaches or User Waypoints

[Enter]

Select 8mi as you zoom level for example

Quit back to the main menu

Select [Find] Geocaches and select one

Make sure your zoom level is 8mi

Navigate toward it and you should see that cache and all the others.

Hope this helps.

Peoria Bill :)

Pocket Queries give you the option to add the waypoint .gpx file and the regular .gpx file. Adding both files to the GPX folder of your Garmin 64 (or S or ST) will force your GPS to default to the waypoints file. Simply not adding the waypoints file to your GPS will make all of your caches show up as geocaches with all of the useful information. Hope this helps. 

On 12/21/2015 at 11:02 AM, Mineral2 said:

1. Yes, it actually unzipped into 2 files. One is just under 5,000KB; the other is ~150KB.

2 The GPX folder has what appears to be some demo files (~2KB ea.) and another folder called Current.  The Current folder contains a 32KB GPX file (and that's supposed to contain 250K pre-loaded caches?)

3. I've moved/copied them into a file on my computer--just in case/

4. Yes.

Which of the 2 unzipped PQ files go into the Current(?) directory on the GPSr, and should one or both be renamed?

OK, I moved the (2) PQ files into the Garmin/GPX folder (not the Garmin/GPX/Current folder)

Then I removed the (3) pre-loaded cache files from the Garmin/GGZ folder.

Now when I power up the unit, it locks up trying to load waypoints, track, and routes.  The progress bar just sits there.

I've obviously done something wrong.

Nothing is wrong. You just removed 250,000 geocaches from the device. That's a huge inconsistency with the current database, and it's going to take a while for the unit to update it. Just put it down and let it do its thing. But once it's done, you shouldn't have to wait that long for the database to update and build ever again.

Nope. On my Oregon 600 it only takes a few seconds to boot every time I have loaded a new set of caches. I export from GSAK with the Garminexport macro and have typically between 500 and 900 caches loaded (as GGZ).  I guess the 64 will be about the same.

Even loading 25000+ (as GGZ in 1 file) doesn't take too much time.