Geocaching in the news

PioneerGal

Received this email from Caroline and thought you all would be interested in checking it out (hopefully) on Thursday.

Bonnie and Greg:

The Centre Daily Times MAY be running the geocaching story on Thursday, 20

June.

I'll be on vacation then, so I won't know if it's a go, but you could check

online on Thursday: www. centredaily.com (under Living).

Thanks again for your help,

Caroline Terenzini

Centre Daily Times

cterenzi@centredaily.com

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. E Roosevelt

The geocaching story did appear in the Centre Daily Times today (6/20). You can find it here:

'Treasure' hunt

Geocachers mentioned in the story are Bob Weber, Paul Schneider, the Blacks of CCCooper Agency, Tom and Jeanne Dorsey, Missy Hazen, Dana and Maggie Harlan, and Robert Bascom.

Thanks to all who assisted the reporter with the story.

Gary // Team Grayrun

Heard in a bookstore coffee shop: "They don't have regular coffee. Whaddya want, French Roast or Peruvian?"

I was just about to post the article but you beat me to it. Thanks for the link. I had a heck of a time finding it this morning (I never did). I thought the article was very well researched and well done. There were some photos and sidebars which were not in the online article.

I was a bit nervous before this came out because this paper (IMO) has done some lousy stuff in the past. Thankfully the paper and especially the reporter did a great job this time.

I also didn't realize there were so many cachers in this area. Hope to meet some of them someday!

Smoochnme

aka Bob Weber

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

[This message was edited by smoochnme on June 20, 2002 at 07:35 AM.]

That was a good article. I especially appreciated this part of her story:

quote:

In Pennsylvania, rules already in effect prohibit placing anything on state land without permission of the district forester or park supervisor, said Amy Griffith, district forester for Bald Eagle State Forest.

Anybody interested in contacting a district forester can find the number in their local phone directory under state government, she said.

The state Bureau of Forestry is formulating a policy on caching, Griffith added, but currently, if no permit is on file, foresters can remove any object left on the land.

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

"I also didn't realize there were so many cachers in this area. Hope to meet some of them someday!"

Ya know, it's funny you should say that. I was wondering if it was time to have a Central PA Geocacher's Picnic.

Anyone interested? A chance to meet some of the folks behind the geo-names, have a little food, track down a one-day-only-cache, maybe have geocaching scavenger hunt???

If so, any thoughts on when would be the best time to get together (and where)?

just wondering,

Enfanta