Pocket Query won't load some caches

schindler.team

I've been geocaching 3 years now and been making my own pocket query.

Some days ago one of my pocket query that get all my island caches start having problems. When I put it in the GPSr it doesn't load all the caches. It's not a filtering problem. I had too updated my GPSr with no sucess.

I live in Azores, if I make a PQ of another island it works... Only a pocket query in a particular location don't work... It's strange.

If I try to open the gpx on BaseCamp it gets an error too.

Any help?

Could you please provide your PQ settings link? So we could hav a look into it.

Hans

http://imgur.com/YSBgGUw

here's a printscreen

When I say link - I mean link.

No harm. It will open as it was my own PQ. We will not be able to change your settings.

ETA: after rereading your post I guess that I misunderstand you quite a bit. :blink:

It seems to be a Garmin settings or gpx parsing issue.

Hans

Edited by HHL

It's possible that a cache in your pocket query has malformed HTML in its cache description, causing your GPS and/or transfer software to choke. I know that's happened to me.

Also, that query's parameters return 962 caches, but you've set it to return only 500 caches. The PQ server then needs to decide which 500 caches it picks and chooses to include in the query results, and perhaps it left out the ones you were looking for. Try increasing to 1000 and then see if the "missing" caches load onto your GPS.

It returns 224 caches and that's correct. In my GPSr it only appears 137. What can I do to solve that html/gpx problem?

Here the PQ results in 233 caches. (simulated with the NewSearch tool)

That seems to be OK so far.

Edited by HHL

It's possible that a cache in your pocket query has malformed HTML in its cache description, causing your GPS and/or transfer software to choke. I know that's happened to me.

Also, that query's parameters return 962 caches, but you've set it to return only 500 caches. The PQ server then needs to decide which 500 caches it picks and chooses to include in the query results, and perhaps it left out the ones you were looking for. Try increasing to 1000 and then see if the "missing" caches load onto your GPS.

But since he has found many of the caches, the 500 default setting is sufficient for his needs.

But is possible that a single cache is doing this problem?

Yes.

Another question: How much Caches did you have on your Gpsr before the load? Maybe you'D just reached the units limits for geocaches.

Hans

Before? None. The limit its 5000 I guess. I'm not even remotely near that. It's a very strange problem.

I will try to make some PQ in the next days to try to find out witch cache is making this. Is there another way to know witch one?

Since it is a recent problem, you might be able to narrow down the possible problem caches by using different ranges in the Date Placed filter. You can either set a large range that ends just before you first encountered the problem to get as many good caches as possible. Or you can use narrow ranges that span portions of the time period you have had the problem, which might allow you to find the problem cache.

There is also the possibility that it is an older cache in which a recent edit introduced an error. This case would be harder to find.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

Since it is a recent problem, you might be able to narrow down the possible problem caches by using different ranges in the Date Placed filter. You can either set a large range that ends just before you first encountered the problem to get as many good caches as possible. Or you can use narrow ranges that span portions of the time period you have had the problem, which might allow you to find the problem cache.

I will try that and get back to you! Thanks!

Nope. It appears all the types of geocachers. A friend of mine tried to use the pocket query I made and doesn't work too. He will try now to create one pocket query similar to mine with the same criteria and coordinates of origin to see if the problems appears too. If not, I will assume that maybe it's a problem with my GC account.

But is possible that a single cache is doing this problem?

There was an issue (that I am pretty sure was fixed) with a event cache, which was later retracted, that was included in a GPX file that caused produced some invalid XML causing every cache after it appeared to be excluded. As Moun10bike suggested it's possible that a cache in the list has some malformed HTML in the description that is causing issues.

I don't know how the 62S works but on an older Garmin model, if one looked at a list of geocaches it would only show traditional caches and treat others as "waypoints".

I've never been to the Azores either but I had a great grandfather that came from the island to work in the sugarcane fields of Hawaii and eventually to northern California.

The fact that identical PQs run by other users are fine makes me think the PQ file has somehow gotten corrupted on the Groundspeak server. Can you try making a new PQ with the same settings and see what happens? This would force the server to generate a fresh file that should hopefully work.

Happened the same problem. I made about 10 PQ today some of them with the same settings and the problem persists. I will try to delete all of the PQ from my account, wait a couple of days and try again.

But if it a cache that is doing this, shouldn't this happen to everyone?

Yes.

Please set your Garmin into USB-mass-storage mode and open the gpx file with MapSource or Basecamp. How much caches do these apps count?

Hans

Edited by HHL

I've sorted all the caches by year, creating diferent PQ to try to figure out witch one is doing this. When I did that, every PQ works.... That's very strange, isn't it?

This is a link with the PQ that don't work. Try it out and let me know. A friend of mine tried and it didn't work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GVVAa-2uLVMnk1VjZtRzQtSms/view?usp=sharing